Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for more smoke?

Options
I can't seem to get any smoke flavor into my long cooks.  Doesn't matter if I use chunks or chips, soak them or don't soak, adding them after getting the charcoal is started, etc

HELP!!

cooking on large big green egg if that matters.  sometimes use digiq, depending if overnight or not.  just getting a little frustrating.  I know I won't get super smoky flavor but I should at least be getting some.  I use primarily hickory plus some apple/cherry.  not a fan of mesquite.  thanks
Nashville, TN and huge Tennessee Vols fan

Comments

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options
    Just add more chunks/chips later on in the cook.  They just burn the same as the charcoal and you have to replace.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Instead of lifting the grate / drip pan and plate setter to add wood, I'll slide a few chunks in the bottom vent up against some of the hot lump pieces that fall through the fire grate.  It doesn't disturb the cook, and you can keep the smoke rolling the entire cook this way if you want.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • BigGreenVOL
    BigGreenVOL Posts: 81
    Options
    is it true you have to wait for the heavy white smoke to burn off before throwing the meat on?  and wood in the bottom vent is a great idea.  I also do add more wood during the cook, but I just slide it to the side of the plate setter and it never really gets to the fire.
  • MyEggBrother
    Options
    I experimented with wood logs and no lump. Took a while to get going but I got a lot of smoke lol. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Layer the lump and chunks. I don't wait till the smoke clears... Just when it smells clean. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    i dont taste much smoke if i hang out near the egg when its cooking, but i can taste it in leftovers the next day.i get desensitized to the smoke flavor smelling it all day, its a problem being the cook. try staying away from the egg when its cooking
    ^^^this^^^
    Options
    When I want more smoke, I use my offset stick burner. no but seriously. I think it is a combo of what was said above. You don't think it is smokey but it is. One of my biggest issues when I started using the BGE (which was my first experience with smoking altogether) was the "lack of smoke taste." I used to load tons of wood chunks which worked but it would billow smoke for 3-4 hours which also is not good. I learned with the egg less is more. Too many chunks of wood and the smoke will taste bitter.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    What I have found recently that works well is this. Layer of lump roughly the same thickness as the wood chunks I am using. add3 wood chunks on top of that layer of lump. Add more lump to just barely cover those first wood chunks you just added, add 3 more chunks. In the end I do 3-4 "layers" like this for a total of about 9-12 wood chunks. Some might say even that is too much wood but I have found it to work well as really at the end ofa bout a 12 hour cook, only about half of those wood chunks actually burned cause the fire didn't find the other half of chunks. wtf is up with paragraphing on this site? Sorry for the lack of formatting, I did try to make paragraphs.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Don't bother soaking. It just delays smoking. They won't ignite anyway. 

The egg smokes a bit more at 250 than 225 or lower. And even more the higher you go. More air, bigger fire. 

I don't wait for the smoke to clear either but as @henapple says, only until it smells good

hickory is pretty strong. If you don't get any flavor from that, you're maybe using too little, or have it in the wrong spot

put it in the middle of the egg, rather than spread around. And instead of on top, put it up and down intermingled with the lump so it burns throughout the cook

there is no truth to the idea that smoke stops being "absorbed" after the dabled first hour. If you want a lot of smoke flavor, you meed a lot of smoke

rather than a lot at the beginning, or running too hot to generate the most smoke, it's better to go gentler for longer. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BigGreenVOL
    BigGreenVOL Posts: 81
    Options
    awesome.  appreciate the help as always guys
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You ARE getting smoke on your cooks. The thing is, (go with me on this) a person who smokes cigarettes can't smell the smoke on his or her body, but the person next to them who doesn't smoke - can.

Same way with smoke on food, your cooking on your egg or Weber or whatever all day ... you can't smell it, but the person who later eats it - can.

At least, that's what I think.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    do some research on a variable burn technique. I think that will be useful in your quest to get more smoke flavor...thin "blue" smoke is all you want..if its white, its not right...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It might be true that we can get a bit desensitized to smoke while cooking, but I've had exactly the same experience as the OP and I urge him to keep trying things until he gets what he wants.

Some things (like chicken) I like only a little smoky, but some things, like ribs, brisket, pork butt, I like as smoky as I can get them.  I was even thinking of buying one of those perforated pipes by A-Maze-N Smoker that they fill with wood pellets to add more smoke.  But what finally worked better for me, anyway, was this, for a low-and-slow:
    1. I fill lump to the top of the fire ring with NO wood, start the fire in one place in the center, no plate setter, bottom vent open full, dome closed but top vent off completely.  Wait 15-20 minutes and start checking the dome temp, also keeping an eye on white smoke.
    2. When the dome temp is getting around 250°, I close down the top and bottom vents to my best guess as to where they'll need to be to maintain 250° to 275°, and let the Egg stabilize maybe another 15-20 minutes.
    3. Then I add hickory chunks, 4-5 or more, radially around the central fire, so that as the fire widens, more and more of the wood will smolder, add the plate setter, add the meat.  I don't usually find a huge drop in dome temperature, and pretty quickly I'm back to 250° or so.
    For me, anyway, this method seems to give me nice blue smoke for several hours, and my ribs are MUCH smokier than they were when I tried mixing chunks or chips throughout the lump, which seems to make more sense, but for me, didn't work as well.  Like @Darby_Crenshaw, I find that I get better smoke at 250° or higher, much less below 250°.  He seems to be much more experienced than I, but again, for me, anyway, I seem to get better results this way than mixing wood in the lump.  It sounds like he might concentrate the wood more centrally than I was, though, so that might make the difference.

Anyway, my biggest point is that whether other people insist your food is smoky or not, if YOU don't find it smoky enough, keep on trying different things!  I was in the same boat, and I'm very happy now with the smokiness of my cooks.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @fishlessman said it right above, I often thought my leftovers had a better smoke flavor than the day I did the cook. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • busmania
    Options
    @Theophan I am going to try your method next time. The hard part I have visualizing is that my fire always burns straight down and to the back. If all the wood is on top of unlit lump, how is it burning to produce smoke?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always light my fire in 3 or 4 places, regardless of the cook I'm doing. Then, I place one chunk of smoke wood on one of the spots I just lit. Additional chunks go where it is NOT lit. Then I add the furniture and the food. That way, I have smoke from the very beginning and as the fire spreads, no matter which direction, I continue to get smoke, usually for the duration. And I never have to take things apart to add wood.

I have considered the idea of placing a chunk or two into the bottom vent as needed. I keep meaning to try that, but never have. The possibility there is changing the vent setting and the temp. And if using a temp controller, that would have to be removed and reinstalled.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    busmania said:
    my fire always burns straight down and to the back. If all the wood is on top of unlit lump, how is it burning to produce smoke?
    That's where ou should put the wood. In the middle, up and down. 

Fire doesnt crawl around the top of the lump or the sides. 

People used to advocate putting wood on top in top in a spiral. Think about that for a second. Let me know when you are done laughing

imagine the area occupied by the fire grate extended up thru the lump. In that space is where moat of my chunks or chips are
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• busmania
    Options
    busmania said:
    my fire always burns straight down and to the back. If all the wood is on top of unlit lump, how is it burning to produce smoke?
    That's where ou should put the wood. In the middle, up and down. 

Fire doesnt crawl around the top of the lump or the sides. 

People used to advocate putting wood on top in top in a spiral. Think about that for a second. Let me know when you are done laughing

imagine the area occupied by the fire grate extended up thru the lump. In that space is where moat of my chunks or chips are

This is indeed what I currently do.  Theophan mentioned the top method so it got me thinking. 
  • billt01
    Options
    I have an old chimney starter that the handle has broken off...When I have some time, I'm going to cut it in half with a grinding wheel and test that using a variable burn in a circle alternating every few inches between lump and smoking wood. I am fairly certain that this will NOT work without a draft system (the wood may smolder out without it)..in theory, it will burn around the circumference of the cut in half chimney started getting a few hrs of coal, then wood, then coal, then more wood. 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I get a ton of smoke flavor.  I use about 4 good sized chunks throughout my lump.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Instead of lifting the grate / drip pan and plate setter to add wood, I'll slide a few chunks in the bottom vent up against some of the hot lump pieces that fall through the fire grate.  It doesn't disturb the cook, and you can keep the smoke rolling the entire cook this way if you want.
    Isn't this kind of how the gravity feed smokers work?  I may have to try this as well.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Use more wood!  There was a pretty cool cool graphic on here years ago that recommended putting wood throughout your lump, so that it smokes throughout the cook and you're not finding yourself having to add wood during the cook
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    stike says...

He's probably right, but I'm too lazy to "arrange" things.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billt01
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Found a picture of what I would like to try...xcept I would definitely use more wood...he called this the snake method..I've always know it as a variable burn...

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    2 things not mentioned above.

1st, less consequential. At lower temp in the minimal oxygen flow of an Egg, the wood won't burn. The purer charcoal of the lump grabs the oxygen. The wood slowly bakes, releasing the gases that produce the flavor. If you put a big enough chunck of wood in the Egg, at the end of 6 - 7 hours, its lump itself.

2nd, more important for taking smoke flavor is how wet the surface of the meat is. If its really wet, the smoke doesn't stick well. What is best is a "tacky" surface, called a pellicle. Happens naturally as meats, fish most notably, become a little dry. I've been complemented on the amount of smoke I get, and my method is to blot the meat w. paper towels maybe 10 min. before putting on the rub. I also do not mop the meat, or have it above a drip pan. If it looks like its getting to dry, I use a basting brush to add a very thin layer of water, while pressing down.

Hope this helps.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That's where ou should put the wood. In the middle, up and down. ... imagine the area occupied by the fire grate extended up thru the lump. In that space is where moat of my chunks or chips are
    busmania said:

This is indeed what I currently do.  Theophan mentioned the top method so it got me thinking. 
    @Darby_Crenshaw's probably right.  When I used to mix wood chunks in the lump, and found it better doing what I described, I was mixing the chunks throughout the lump, not concentrating it in the middle.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I'm like Carolina Q.  I start in 3 places, let the fire get up to about 250 and the smoke clears, put in the wood chunks, and then add the meat indirect with a medium woo.   Have never had a problem with inadequate smoke.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was about to make a comment here but realized I'm too fkd up.  Carry on, gents.  Looks like some mtherfkn science n sh!t. Love it.
    Options
    I was about to make a comment here but realized I'm too fkd up.  Carry on, gents.  Looks like some mtherfkn science n sh!t. Love it.
    Oh yeah, Wednesday.
    NOLA