Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max vs. Mini

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @egret can you put two baskets in at the same time? It would be nice when grilling to keep the same distance from lump to grate but decrease the total mass of lit charcoal. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Nuke1855
    Nuke1855 Posts: 281
    egret said:
    In the first place, the original question was whether to buy a mini or MMax. One of the comments that the mini is a toy is completely misleading and basically false. I've used mine for years just for the two of us. But, I haven't used it in over a year since I got the new accessory from Turbostream. This thing turns your large into a mini with an elevated half-moon raised charcoal grate that sits right under your grid. It can very easily be removed when you want to use your large as a large and it also acts like a Kick Ash basket to dispose of the ash. It can also be used as the heat source for indirect cooking. It's a lot cheaper than a mini as well. By the way, we're selling the MMax at the GA Mt. Eggfest for $499, eggfest price. Check out the Turbostream raised charcoal grate: http://www.turbostream.net/products.html
    Well put points. I don't have a mini but just got the mini max. I can only imagine doing pretty much the same on a mini. Great for two people or whatever. Did this Philly cheese steak pizza on my mini Max yesterday and would have been able to do a smaller "personal pie " on the mini I'm sure.

Living The Big Green Egg Life...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.caribeque.com/">www.caribeque.com</a>

www.biggreenegglife.com

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    I am about to pull the trigger for a portable egg. I'll be getting the mini. While I like the cooking area of the MM, the mini is much lighter and should easily cook for 2 people.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Dyal_SC said:
    A few pix from my "toy" mini.  :i_dunno:

Just Stop It Now................. AWESOME. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    More pizzas from the "toy" ... :hang_loose:  ;)   =)  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @SoCalTim sorry I haven't been to an egg dealer since mine argued with me that BGE didn't make a small cast iron grid. 

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Well I have read every post so far on this topic since this morning when I first saw it, I almost posted this morning and for reasons I'm not sure of did not reply. Now after pondering the question and reading what others have shared I would like to say the Mini is in no way a toy, we got ours many years ago and I have had as many as 6 BGE's at the same time in the past, 2 large, 2 medium, 1 small and 1 mini. Currently have 2 large, 1 small, 1 mini max, 1 mini. We got our first BGE 9 years ago and the mini 6 years ago and after thinking about it all day I'm certain that the Mini has cooked more meals for the wife and I than all of the other eggs, they all get used but for the two of us the mini works well. Our Mini has visited and cooked meals in the following states FL, GA, NC, OH, IL, it is a permanent resident of NC now because the small that stays in the motor home is our go egg when on the road now. I like the nest for the small while camping. Now for the only negative I could come up with about the mini is that I have to clean out the ash quite often, it's not a lot of ash but still with as much as I use it the ash builds up fast, the positives are it's very easy for me to pick up and move up on the covered porch to cook out of the rain, have even done it when cooking and I can cook for 4 people no problem. I have not used the new mini max because I haven't made/bought a table to set it on here at the summer home in NC, it is just as heavy as the small, same size cooking grid. I can't speak to the cost difference. If you want the most one person portable the Mini is the best, if you want double the cooking grid and not so portable get the mini max. Good luck and I hope I have helped. Oh and one can never go wrong with any BGE............

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    For $150 ish more (in Iowa) I went MM just this week. But I've got 2 kids, too. The extra grid space for burgers/dogs was worth it for me. Plus this is a tailgating unit (not taking the XL anywhere) that needs to feed more than two. I don't see there being a wrong answer. Definitely nothing wrong with the "toy."
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    @Dyal_SC No doubt the Mini is a worker. 
    Just a few from the MM. 
    First cook was a nice Chucky 

In conclusion they're both solid workhorse cooking vessels. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @NPHuskerFL nice looking grub brother 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Chubbs Thx my friend. I take pics of all my cooks. I may have a problem :smile:  That was just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Small! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @NPHuskerFL damn! Some of the finest looking food I've seen in awhile!  Can you explain the avocados?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2016
    @blind99 Thank You. That's funny you chose that pic :lol:  That was our Son's grub on his MM @HuddleHouseCook. Truthfully he'd be best to ask on that particular shot...that is if he ever gets back on the forum. :disappointed:  He's a college student, part to full-time cook and juggles a girlfriend inbetween. I guess he's sorta busy :wink:
    Essentially it's an Haas avocado w/ pit removed, egg with onion, herbs, garlic, bacon and spices. Hot and fast to get over medium on the egg.Served just as you see it. Pretty decent eats. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dyal_SC
    Yessir @NPHuskerFL !!  :flushed:  No doubt, they are both incredible pieces of equipment.  Those are some fantastic cooks!!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2016
    @Blackwidow98 IMHO choosing either of them you'll be happy. 
    Or...both. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I have a MM. At first I didn't think much of it (use an XL for most cooks).  Started traveling (RV trips) with it and love being able to travel and have wonderfully cooked food.  Only problem is weight. Love the cook space.
    this weekend i did an 16# brisket and 3 racks of ribs on the XL and chicken on the MM.  Everything worked out wonderfully.  Love cooking in TBGE and my family can't believe how great things taste.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I am going to get a mini, already decided on that. This thread just pushed me over the edge. :)
  • Dyal_SC
    stompbox said:
    I am going to get a mini, already decided on that. This thread just pushed me over the edge. :)
    LOL!  That is the problem with this eggdiction ... I also want a mini max after @NPHuskerFL 's photos.  :lol:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    blind99 said:
    @egret can you put two baskets in at the same time? It would be nice when grilling to keep the same distance from lump to grate but decrease the total mass of lit charcoal. 
    No reason you can't do that. Contact Charles Roberts at crmerc19@att.net and he can tell you a lot more about it than I can.......after all, he's the inventor!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have seen amazing cooks off the Mini, and in the right hands it is a delicious food pumping machine. I really struggled between the MM and the Mini when I wanted to add a second egg. I selected the MM, and for Team YukonRon, we have been very, very happy.  I often will have a surprise addition for dinner and the added space makes it so much easier for unplanned guests.
    That being said, if it were just for the two of us, I would have definitely gone with the Mini.
    Either way, I can't understand how anyone could be disappointed in the purchase of Mini or MM.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Mini vs Mini Max...Large vs XL...same debate. Hey, it's just a size and weight thing. If your primary use is NOT to travel with your Egg and you don't mind spending a little more money I would always recommend the larger size.
    Yes, you can cram a lot of food on the Mini...this means you could cram even more on the Mini Max.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Where did @BigGreenCraig go? 

#schooled
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Where did @BigGreenCraig go? 

#schooled
    The original question was not "is the Mini capable?" It was which one to get. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Great pics Blake!  Love the section of counter top for the tailgate. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I will add mini to the family at some point, and was considering one until minimax was announced. Here are some observations:

Mm is portable but cumbersome.   And although it has just a couple of inches more of grid space but this extra space is huge, especially when making pizza or using the woo and smaller grid for two levels.   I think mm is great for two, but if you take it to a tailgate party or camping, it would be hard to smoke six burgers or 10 sausages at a time for a larger group.   Mm gives me flexibility of upper rack on woo to make onions or other veggies and good amt of meat on lower grid

I wouldnt say mini is a toy but that it has tighter limitations on flexibility of use than mm.  Plus the accessories for small fit mm so availability of wider array of items exists, such as pizza stone, woo, platesetter etc.     

I still plan on adding a mini sometime and exploring its capabilities.   

If you want flexibility maximixed and see making food for more than two frequently, get the mm.  If it will mostly be two people and ultimate ease of transport is the goal, the mini would be my choice
  • Dyal_SC
    The original question was not "is the Mini capable?" It was which one to get. 
    The original question was not "is the mini a toy?" It was which one to get.  Your statement was false and misleading like @egret (Pope John Hall) said.  ;)  But we forgive you.  :hug:
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @Dyal_SC No doubt the Mini is a worker. 
    Just a few from the MM. 
    First cook was a nice Chucky 

Just noticed your cooking assistant. Fine looking pup you have there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Last year I was thinking which egg to go with my XL.  I was thinking, Mini, MM, or Small, but SWMBO didn't like any of the prices.  I tried for a KJ Jr, but she said now to that as well.  She did approve this;

Kind wish I would have saved my $200.  I thought it would get up to temp faster, but nope.  It does use less lump, but I just don't use it anymore.  My weekday grill is my new Coleman portable gas grill.  This may end being used for target practice some day.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.