Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone - Which one?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
My birthday is coming up on Saturday and I told the Mrs. that I would like to get a Blackstone. I'm torn on which one to get though. I realize this is totally a 1st world problem...

The 17" would work nicely on the prep area of my egg table and the portability would potentially be a benefit. If I were to go with the 36" version, I'm not sure I would want to keep it out on my deck all the time and moving it wouldn't exactly be convenient. I would likely store it in the garage but that won't be convenient for cooking on it at the same time as my eggs. Someday, it will go in my outdoor kitchen but that's a few years away.

Any of you current BS owners wish to weigh in? Anyone own both? If so, which one do you use or like more? 
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I only have the 17 and it works great for my needs.  I worried about leaving one outside 24/7 due to rust.  The 17 I can move inside when done.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I have the 36" and love it.  I don't believe the 17" would meet all of my needs, and it's not likely that I would ever transport it anywhere.  I purchased the cover (it's high quality and worth the price) because I wanted it on my patio close to my outdoor kitchen.  I rigged up a loop on top of the cover (used an old belt buckle and sewed it in) so that I can easily lift the cover off and hang it on the wall nearby but out of the way.  I also made a folding arch to help hold the cover up so rain water could easily pour off the cover.  

I frequently make breakfast on it and even have posted a few photos on this and other BGE sites.

I'm getting ready to re-season it properly this time.  It shouldn't take long.

Cleanup is a snap.  Just pour a little water on it to deglaze any really stuck on stuff.  Most of the time you can just wipe it off with paper towels, but if it requires a little elbow grease, just scourer it with one of those grill top scrubbers and wipe up the crud and toss.  Very easy and quick.

So far it has made excellent pancakes, fried eggs, meats, fish, hashbrowns, burgers, even some stir-fry.  

Oh, and you will quickly catch on to how and what temperature to cook at.  

And if you are thinking of getting into Sous Vide cooking, it works really well to sear some foods that you may not want to fire up an Egg to do.

I consider it a good investment.  I say go for the 36"

Spring "Blackstone Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I have the 17" and love it.  It sets on my egg table next to my egg 24/7 but I put a cover over it when not in use.  I only cook for me, my wife, and our two dogs, but the 17" model works great for us.  I wouldn't have room for anything larger and would hate trying to bring it in out of the weather.  If I had a huge covered porch I would probably consider the 36" but otherwise the 17" is the way to go.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have a 36", and I absolutely love it! I would say having varying heat zones is almost a "must" with griddle cooking. But I could easily make due with two of the 17" versions. Too spoiled now to try it with just one unless tailgating.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Willieb9000
    Willieb9000 Posts: 48
    Options
    I am eyeing a Blackstone too and wrestling with the size and how much I really need the 36 inch. Interestingly, I was researching this weekend and discovered there is a 28" version on their website which might be the perfect happy medium. Just wanted to point it out since all the discussions on this forum seem to focus on 36 vs 17. 
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I need the extra real estate on the 36".  Has been outside with no I'll effects....the cover is a bit faded
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I haven't seen the 28" in person but the way I see it, I would rather have the 4 burner for $50 more if I go with a full sized griddle. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    36".    

I cook for two and I wouldn't consider a smaller one unless it was in addition to the 36".
    Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i have the 17 and based the purchase on the 50 dollar price i found and the portability. it will do breakfast for several people just fine but im maxed out for space cooking two double cheese burgers at a time. if it was just going to be used at the house, the bigger one would be a better choice. it does work fine for 2-3 people
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    36" gives you a lot of space for bigger cooks to feed more folks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would either get the 17 or the 36. The 28 never seems well reviewed. Without fail every thread I have seen where someone either wasn't impressed or didn't like their blackstone it was a 28.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Go with a 36".  A lot more room.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have the 28" version and I love it.  I had a certain space I needed to fit it into on my patio and the 36" was going to be too big so I went with the 28" version and I have no regrets.  It cooks great burgers, pancakes, eggs, bacon, fried rice, etc.  I'm cooking for 2 adults and a 6 year old at the moment.  Have a baby that's too young for solid food yet but I think the 28" has plenty of real estate for a family of 4.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options
    FWIW I read a recent review on Amazon and they redesigned the 28 inch at some point.  I think it originally had round burners and heated unevenly but now it has the tubular "H" burners. 

Link to the review

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    Options
    Well, I labored over this decision for long enough. Ended up going with the 36" for $250 from Cabela's. Haven't put it together yet. I hope to start the seasoning process yet this evening if I can make a decision on what to use.

Thanks to everyone for their input on what models work for you.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    Options
    Congrats on the BS!  You're going to love it. 

I think I chimed in earlier on this thread, but my 2 cents is avoid flaxseed.  I tried it and had nothing but problems on the  ci pieces I used it on.

Meanwhile, lard has never failed me.  Not sure how much I have, but its north of 50 pcs.
    Phoenix 
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Wel @blasting - I'll take your word and move forward. You have way more experience than I do. Thanks for the tips. I went with lard for 4x an then 3 lbs of onions followed by 2 lbs of bacon. Then another 3 lbs of onions. We'll see how this works out. I'm very excited to cook a meal on this. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    Options
    @minniemoh  Looking good!  Let us know what you're cooking.

btw - time to add to your sig line.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @minniemoh it looks to me like you are more than ready to get cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    Options
    I concur.  So what's on for breakfast? 
    Phoenix 
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Didn't have time to use it for breakfast. Did some burgers for dinner though. Delicious and fun. I need some better spatulas and a better scraper though. Maybe a little practice too. Never cooked on a griddle before. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Mother's Day brunch was a success today. We had 13 people here and did the bacon and hash browns first, followed by french toast, on the BS. We also did Scotch eggs on the LBGE. Didn't get any good pics though. This is the one the Mrs. took. So far I'm digging this thing.

eggAddict from MN!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    O

Fried rice for the momma of the house!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy

Your daughter is getting big!  Still a cutie.
    Phoenix 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @minniemoh Are you glad you got the 36"?  Looks like brunch would have been completed in batches on the 17", looks delicious!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @RedSkip - yes, I'm glad I got the 36". A couple of things about it - I may need to put some larger wheels on it for going in and out of my garage. Also, I have a similar grease drip issue as has been mentioned on here a few times. There is a weld spot under the drip groove but it still drips and runs down the front. I may add some JB Weld or something to see if that helps.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @minniemoh Put your jb weld just in front of the dimple that's already there and make it 3 times as big and it will work wonders.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Just a note... If you are making fried rice... don't buy the frozen veggies that have green beans in them. Green beans don't go well in fried rice I found out yesterday. Put an earthy flavor into the rice that just didn't quite meld.
  • blasting
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    There is a weld spot under the drip groove but it still drips and runs down the front. I may add some JB Weld or something to see if that helps.
    @minniemoh Put your jb weld just in front of the dimple that's already there and make it 3 times as big and it will work wonders.

If only some devilishly handsome forum genius would have documented this fix in a thread...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories#latest

Phoenix 
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @blasting - yep! I saw that thread but for some reason, I thought there was no weld bead on the griddle in the earlier thread. I would have put it on right away if I had paid closer attention.  =) 
    eggAddict from MN!