Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flames shooting out of the vent on bottom of Egg

reload
reload Posts: 267
Have you ever had a fire that was slow to rise to temp, then open the lid up to let the fire build?  Once the lid was open the fire flashed.  I then shut the lid and flames started shooting out of the bottom vent.  

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Yeah. Mini max does this. 
  • reload
    For what it's worth, it looked pretty cool...
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    FWIW, it didn't feel too good.  :o
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Yes, multiple times.  I've related it to impaired air flow in the egg.  Almost always happened after dumping in my lump with a bunch of fines and small pieces.  The fire will take oxygen from whatever source delivers. Backdraft like.  I'd like to hear @DarbyCrenshaw's thoughts.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • reload
    Bingo, I emptied out the bag tonight before starting the lump.  Probably the largest amount I've ever had in the Egg.  Lot's of small pieces and fines on top near the plate setter.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    After I bought my KAB for my eggs, this never happens anymore. 
  • reload
    I tried taking a picture for you guys.  However, it was puffing like a fire breathing dragon!   After several failed attempts, I figured I should call it quits before I burned my hand or my phone. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Fires want air
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Fires want air
    Brief for you brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Very similar to a house fire.  Firefighters show up to a house with an established fire in the interior and the eves are puffing just like you described. Bust open the door and backdraft.  It's all about the fire triangle (fire, fuel and O2), that's why they go to the roofs to ventilate.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    bgebrent said:
    Fires want air
    Brief for you brother.
    Long or short, people don't read and remember anyway. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    yup done that!  Burp the baby. If necessary leave it open till you can control it. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I will have to agree with @clifkincaid since I got my KAB, I haven't had the issue, come to think about it. Prior high temp, full loads singed quite a few leg hairs, from the bottom vent, but since I have had the KAB, it has not happened, Coincidence? or? I keep "burping" the same way, just no back flash from the bottom vent. This shall be cool if it is actually the case.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    And yet nobody tonight has mentioned their hairless legs from this! That blue flamed trick used to be a standard comment. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.