Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wooden grate scraper anyone tried this

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Picked one of these up at Costco today. Gonna give it a shot. Anyone else tried one?

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Lmk how u like it
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Curious. What kind of wood is it made of? Soft like pine or hard like oak??
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    JohnH12 said:
    Hard oak I think. 
  • I have one for my gasser, works pretty well.  It will develop grate marks if your using it correctly.  Never used on the BGE, let me know how it goes.

Plus avoid the risk of wire brush leaving behind unwanted wires in your food.  
    Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.
  • Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Bought one but haven't tried it.  Curious to see how it works as well
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I've seen it as well. glad you're the Guinea pig here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JohnH12 said:
    Hard oak I think. 
    Yes that clearly is an oak specie. Actually oak is not all that hard of a wood, but in this application where it is intended to wear down creating its own groove pattern that is desireable. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have one that I was given by Portable Kitchen (PK Grill) product support.
    I had emailed support to express my dissatisfaction with the poor quality cooking grid on the PK grill. It is a nickel coated grid that is prone to rust.

PK support graciously sent me a new grid and a wood scraper to go with it.
    Support said to use the wood scraper instead of a wire brush. The wood scraper was supposed to not damage the nickel coating.

The wood scraper is great as long as it's free, but I wouldn't pay for one.

As far as the PK grill goes it's great with a fatal flaw. The grid is terrible. I know they offer the grillgrate's for it now, but it's a shame that an otherwise excellent design is spoiled by a low quality grate.

In summary, I don't recommend the wood scraper or the PK grill.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bought one a few weeks back, but am yet to use it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Looks interesting, but what if your grate isnt spaced exactly like the grooves on the scrape? Wouldn't work or fit to scrape the grunge off
    Austin, Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    bgeaddikt said:
    Looks interesting, but what if your grate isnt spaced exactly like the grooves on the scrape? Wouldn't work or fit to scrape the grunge off
    I believe it forms it's own grooves as you use it 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GregW
    Chubbs said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    I believe it forms it's own grooves as you use it 
    It does. It works pretty well.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Yaaas sir. I have the Woody and Woody Paddle. Excellent products that work as advertised. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Since I wasn't sure what these were going for I about gagged when I checked Amazon. Trust me - a quick trip through my lumber yard, followed by buzzing here and there in my workshop and I could produce 10 or more at the price of just 1. Those are not hard to make even if you have nothing more than a hand saw. Just sayin...
  • GregW
    RRP said:
    Since I wasn't sure what these were going for I about gagged when I checked Amazon. Trust me - a quick trip through my lumber yard, followed by buzzing here and there in my workshop and I could produce 10 or more at the price of just 1. Those are not hard to make even if you have nothing more than a hand saw. Just sayin...
    Well put.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @RRP I am very handy. And ya I get it.  Anybody can saw a piece of stock and get relatively the same results. Then again I can weld, braze, design and engineer so that means I should build everything myself?  Come on boss. :lol:  I've got $hit to do. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I met those guys down in New Orleans.....very nice product and well made.  They told me the Costco deal was a Christmas promotion, yet I still see them in both of my Costco's.

I didn't buy one, because I had a customer that made on for me as a present last year out of cherry wood.  Works great.  Just get the grate really hot and press it to burn the spacing into it.  The if it gets nasty, just cut off the end and make a new "blade".  Plenty of wood for that.

• RRP
    edited May 2016
    @RRP I am very handy. And ya I get it.  Anybody can saw a piece of stock and get relatively the same results. Then again I can weld, braze, design and engineer so that means I should build everything myself?  Come on boss. :lol:  I've got $hit to do. 
    I hear you, and your ability to "weld, braze, design and engineer" is admiral, and I'm sure far above most of us here. But those talents differ far and above someone taking a simple hand saw and cutting a board to make a wooden scraper. Just think of the pride someone gets making their own scraper for a buck or two vs. paying $25 for the same. That's all I was trying to get at. Good night.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Same goes for those overpriced BGE stamped cedar planks that sell for close to 20 bucks.  Crazy I know, when you could get a bunch in the 1x aisle, but people buy them. 

As for the wood scraper, I'm skeptical.  Some sticky cooks like Q bark or BBQ chicken, it is hard to remove with wire and foil even. Occasionally, I have to dip the brush in fire to melt the grease and junk that accumulates.  

I am pro paddle, just not in this arena.
    Guess I'll continue to live dangerously, and take my chances with wire.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2016
    @RRP Ron. Amigo. As I get older I find myself finding it easier to pay a professional to perform tasks that I once did. For instance we gutted all of the carpet and tiled nearly 15 yrs ago and now want to upgrade our ceilings and kitchen. Can I do this?  YEA But Of Course. But, I rather sit on my ass, chill with my Bride, work, cook...etc and instead. And then pay a pro to do it. Hell I'll even tip the crew w/some killer craft beer. I work hard but, I also play hard to allow myself needed downtime. Once I retire I can see myself doing these mundane tasks but, for now...hey color me lazy in that respect. :peace:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    I bought one at Costco (didn't pay $25), used it on the grate in my Egg, liked it enough to buy a second for the gasser. As has been mentioned, the spacing is formed when you use it for the first time on a very hot grate. Hence, the purchase of the second one because the grates on the gasser are different than the one on the Egg. 

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Good idea but.....it leaves alot of fine material behind so after its use in was hitting the grate with a ball of  foil...
  • RRP
    @RRP Ron. Amigo. As I get older I find myself finding it easier to pay a professional to perform tasks that I once did. For instance we gutted all of the carpet and tiled nearly 15 yrs ago and now want to upgrade our ceilings and kitchen. Can I do this?  YEA But Of Course. But, I rather sit on my ass, chill with my Bride, work, cook...etc and instead. And then pay a pro to do it. Hell I'll even tip the crew w/some killer craft beer. I work hard but, I also play hard to allow myself needed downtime. Once I retire I can see myself doing these mundane tasks but, for now...hey color me lazy in that respect. :peace:
    Fine. I turn 72 in a couple of months and have been retired for 12 years. I too used to do many things that I now pay someone else to do. I got that! 

But my whole point was trying to suggest that someone even with a simple hand saw can crosscut a piece of wood for FAR cheaper than buying a similiar tiny piece of wood for $25. DIY sure isn't a strange concept and the DIY mental benefit is so rewarding.

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    I received the wood scraper from smokeware for Christmas. It has been fine. It does a great job of removing the big stuff on the top but leaves a lot to be desired for crud hanging on the underside of the grate. The other problem I have is that I use multiple grates and sizes so it never really forms to anything. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use a sandblasting cabinet.
    @theyolksonyou uses MBF, @nolaegghead uses a sandblasting cabinet, with crawfish remains, (used as the media). I use fire and burn it off. I think, with the upcoming remodel of my kitchen, I will save scraps of wood to convert to a scraper. If I find there to be an advantage, I will have plenty to use going forward. Otherwise, I will keep doing it the same. I'd rather spend that money on a big jar of EW, and have a slushy while I wait for the grate to burn off.
    R and R with the egg requires such measures, I think.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    CoMoBGE said:
    I received the wood scraper from smokeware for Christmas. It has been fine. It does a great job of removing the big stuff on the top but leaves a lot to be desired for crud hanging on the underside of the grate. The other problem I have is that I use multiple grates and sizes so it never really forms to anything. 
    I made one using hard maple.  I agree with CoMoBGE it's works great for the stuff on the top but it doesn't touch the stuff hanging on the sides.  Maybe over time as the grooves are developed deeper, it might do a better job on the sides.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I've had 1 for 3 years.  I like it.  gets most of it and works if you flip the grid over to get the underside.  I stopped using the bristle ones after hearing the stories of people ingesting them.  Went to the pumice type one but they wear out quick.  You could make one easy enough and cheaper, but at $15, it's lasted over 3 years.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I just can't believe all the dumb@$$es who buy wedding rings instead of making them. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKR5kk1rZTY

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.