Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak charcoal

Options

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Is this the best we can do on a Friday night? Talking about lump!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    Options

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    Options
    Hillary!!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options

Cowboy?  A few free pounds doesn't make up for plastic straps, fiberglass and plywood.

and the plywood?  Big deal. Pull it out and get over it. They do not use plywood to make charcoal. You might get a stray piece, but that's rare. And that sh!t happens to every manufacturer  
    You will NEVER find a piece of plywood in our bags......I can guarantee that.  With the way the supply chain works, some charcoal companies can be sure of that.  All of our charcoal comes from slab and cord wood.
    What about a rock, or metal strap, or piece of refeactory lining?

you guarantee me perfectly sized, no-rock, no-strap charcoal, and i'll buy nothing but yours from here on out

But the moment i find any of those things, all you need to do is refund me all i spent previously. 

Deal?

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Royal Oak I've purchased one month ago (bought 5 bags) seems great, big pieces, and at 10/bucks per bag at "Walley World" has me reconsidering spending 24$ for BGE or Rockwood. (I know online if spending north of 100 its only 22 per bag)

I've bought two bags of Rockwood in the last year, and there's almost zero white smoke, truly impressive, great charcoal, if $ was no option I'd probably be all rockwood, but if $ was no option, I might have a komodo-kamado instead of an egg, oh and I probably would have bought the weber summit charcoal grill too :-)

I have to wait 10-20min approximately for the RO to burn off the white smoke before putting my meat on the grill. That said, the price difference, I'll wait for the white smoke and save $, end products are great with either/any lump; except cowboy...lol!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cowboy is my favorite lump in the whole wide world.  I love it.  I talk to it sometimes..."I love you lump...make me proud as I set you on fire and cook stuff" I say.  I will travel hundreds of miles to buy cowboy lump because it has no rival.  There is never too much foreign stuff in my lovely bags of Cowboy lump.  Anyone who disagrees with me can go f themself.
    Options
    The whole lump discussion has me so confused I've just given up on using it. Turns out I've got a cheap alternative right in my backyard. I just scoop up a big armful of old needles, cones and dry branches from underneath our pine tree and throw it in the egg. Seems to work okay for me...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cowboy is my favorite lump in the whole wide world.  I love it.  I talk to it sometimes..."I love you lump...make me proud as I set you on fire and cook stuff" I say.  I will travel hundreds of miles to buy cowboy lump because it has no rival.  There is never too much foreign stuff in my lovely bags of Cowboy lump.  Anyone who disagrees with me can go f themself.
    Cowboy = Stagnation Dogg
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could take hardwood from a dog park (soaked with canine urine and the tears of lonely people) and with a tree infested with dutch elm disease, growing fungus, hosting termites, work lunchroom refrigerator mold science experiments covering it, doused endlessly with drunk person vomit after eating haggis from the local Irish pub, etc.  In fact Henapple could jerk off on it. Imagine any other horror that doesn't involve inorganic heavy metal contamination, and the carbonation process just doesn't give a sh!t.  You make charcoal.

That said, Cowboy is the best.  By far.  I'm surprised it's so affordable.  When you can find it.  DAMN YOU HOME DESPOT FOR SWITCHING BRANDS!!!!

I will fight anyone who disagrees.  Just PM me your location and I will be there to fight.
    Options
    It makes feel all warm and fuzzy when you get so poetic about lump! Thanks Man :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    whenever I find a rock in my bag of lump, I just toss it over next to the fence.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Really nice looking backyard, better than lump love.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    whenever I find a rock in my bag of lump, I just toss it over next to the fence.

@DieselkW Love the fence. I am getting ready to pull up my old fence, installed prior to our purchase of our home. It is hideous to say the least. It will be a major reconstruction of my back yard.;
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have used RO for about 4 years. Like it, no complaints, will continue to use it. 
    As for Home Depot "secret price increase", unless HD is now printing RO's bags for them (not), it would be RO's price increase.
    They are the one who lowered the bag weight.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    You could take hardwood from a dog park (soaked with canine urine and the tears of lonely people) and with a tree infested with dutch elm disease, growing fungus, hosting termites, work lunchroom refrigerator mold science experiments covering it, doused endlessly with drunk person vomit after eating haggis from the local Irish pub, etc.  In fact Henapple could jerk off on it. Imagine any other horror that doesn't involve inorganic heavy metal contamination, and the carbonation process just doesn't give a sh!t.  You make charcoal.

That said, Cowboy is the best.  By far.  I'm surprised it's so affordable.  When you can find it.  DAMN YOU HOME DESPOT FOR SWITCHING BRANDS!!!!

I will fight anyone who disagrees.  Just PM me your location and I will be there to fight.

cowboy is especially lovely for chicken wings. Reminds me of the old days when we would make a nice fire of old railroad crossties and cook chickens on sharpened pieces of switchcane, feathers and all. 

Little Rock, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I have used RO for about 4 years. Like it, no complaints, will continue to use it. 
    As for Home Depot "secret price increase", unless HD is now printing RO's bags for them (not), it would be RO's price increase.
    No, those big box store guys name their own prices and bag sizes.  They have a team that comes up with the price point first, THEN they decide to give you how much to give you in that bag for the perceived size/weight ratio, perceived value, etc.  Then they tell the manufacturer much they'll pay for however many hundred thousand bags.  The manufacturer has choice to make it work or not.....if they don't they go to the next bidder.

Same goes for fans, faucets, garage door openers, door knobs/locks, tools, etc.  That's why some of the brand name stuff they sell in HD, Lowe's, etc is smaller or of a lesser quality.  A lot of the mechanical items have plastic parts in them rather than metal if you bought the same item at a plumbing, electrical, etc supply store.  Lot of times you'll see the same part number for the item with "HD" or "L" at the end.  It even goes so far as the difference of a oil filter at WalMart to the same part number as the one at the franchise auto parts place.  That one was $2-3 more, but it had a filter surface area that looked like twice as much.  WalMart says, "We want to sell this oil filter for $3.74.....make it happen."
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @stlcharcoal have you got any news on possible RW distributer here in arkansas yet?

Little Rock, AR

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    No, those big box store guys name their own prices and bag sizes.  They have a team that comes up with the price point first, THEN they decide to give you how much to give you in that bag for the perceived size/weight ratio, perceived value, etc.  Then they tell the manufacturer much they'll pay for however many hundred thousand bags.  The manufacturer has choice to make it work or not.....if they don't they go to the next bidder.

Same goes for fans, faucets, garage door openers, door knobs/locks, tools, etc.  That's why some of the brand name stuff they sell in HD, Lowe's, etc is smaller or of a lesser quality.  A lot of the mechanical items have plastic parts in them rather than metal if you bought the same item at a plumbing, electrical, etc supply store.  Lot of times you'll see the same part number for the item with "HD" or "L" at the end.  It even goes so far as the difference of a oil filter at WalMart to the same part number as the one at the franchise auto parts place.  That one was $2-3 more, but it had a filter surface area that looked like twice as much.  WalMart says, "We want to sell this oil filter for $3.74.....make it happen."
    That is 100% correct about the big box stores, had a customer a few years back that had a sewing factory and they made items form a fabric that was 80% recycled from plastic bottles. (EcoSpun) The orange people wanted to be known as a green company and contacted him about making the aprons the employees wear, he made some for them, they liked them and requested durability testing at his cost, passed testing, they said how much, he told them, they said no to much, he refigured and refigured and refigured and after many months he finely realized that he would have to be below his cost and parted ways. They would never give him any idea as to what they would pay for them.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Rockwood is all that I use now.  It is the best and I will pay for performance.
    Milton, GA.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Stopped at my dealer today to resupply. Haven't used Fogo yet so I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Picked up the bags of Rockwood and heard that distinctive "tink" sound that lets me know I did the right thing in buying it. 

Would I rather spend less on RO at Wallyworld, Home Depot or Menards? Sure, but I can taste a difference in the taste of the food so I pay the extra to get lump that makes a difference for me. Some of us are just more sensitive to the taste. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    Rockwood is all that I use now.  It is the best and I will pay for performance.
    I'm sorry but there are multiple choices as good or better at the rockwood price point or less. Fogo for one hands down is better all day long. Basques sugar maple is better. Wicked good is as good or better. I spent the $26 for a bag at ace and it's good but saying it's the best is just wrong.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I've started a COLLECTION of all the unburables found in RO and BGE lump.
    When it hits 1lb. or more, I'm shipping it BACK to 'em.   Virtually every bag has something to add to the pile.    My last bag of BGE contained maybe 30% small to unusable sized pieces.  
  • Beachman
    Options
    Noticed an increase in very small pieces in RO bags, enough that can restrict air flow through the round holes in the BGE grates. May be due to rough handling during shipping.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @stlcharcoal. Care to show a video of how your charcoal is made?  Free advertising and enough of us eggheads would love to see the process!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I used 2 bags of Rockwood and was happy with it, so next order was for 5 bags.  I'm on bag 3 of the 5 order, and the first 2 (of the 5 bag order) had a lot of small pieces and a lot of dust at the bottom of the bags.  Burned well, with little smoke (which I like about Rockwood), so I'm not too disappointed, but based on the reviews here I guess I was expecting more….

I would like to give Fogo a go next…
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Drove an hour today to restock. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cfuller3
    Options
    Enjoy this forum but glad I was able to see my way through the lump threads without spending any time or thought about it.  Charcoal. Lump charcoal.  From wood. Works for me. 
    Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.