Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Seasoning" an Egg?

This video I saw online, https://youtu.be/AirGjI9RqkE, refers to a dealer's instructions of "seasoning" a new Egg - running through a whole bag of lump without cooking - on the apparent basis that introducing wood chips or chunks prior to doing so will result in the Egg's ceramics becoming impregnated with the flavour of the wood used. This is the first I've heard of this.

Does BGE recommend this practice? Seems like it could be a convenient way to sell an extra bag of lump.

Can't say I'm convinced that this is necessary or even beneficial. Does anyone see it otherwise?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    It's total BUNK as far as I see it! But hey this is America and opinions are like A$$h@l%** ever one has one! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Horse Hockey
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Got to tell you, the BS flag is being waved on my hill after reading that. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Makes no sense at all! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    You guys did not season your egg?

I spilled a little beer on it when I was putting it together.
  • Jupiter Jim
    edited April 2016
    Well I have been closely following this thread and now I'm certain that I have not properly seasoned any of my 5 Eggs! So I'm going out now to break them in properly and season them all. Yes keep doing what I have been for like 9 years! So you all need to calm down and Egg On!!!!!! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    No need.  But can't hurt anything doing it.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Do what you want, but all the Eggs purchased at EggFests were properly seasoned cooking a ton of food. A select few are judged as Curry Eggs, having been "broken in" with an abundance of flavor. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Jupiter Jim

I wish someone would logically explain how the inside of the egg can add any good flavor to the food! I'm thinking that next time I cook some chicken I need to rub it all over the inside of the dome and get the seasoning on the chicken. Same for cast iron pans, people think it adds flavor to the food but in reality the seasoning process of cast iron is only done to make it a nonstick Surface. If you don't believe me just lick the inside of a well seasoned cast iron pan!

If the Egg needed to be seasoned the first time it's used the food would not taste as good as the tenth time!

But when I cook food at an Eggfest the people just rave about how good the food is from a non seasoned just out of the box Egg. If a seasoned Egg is better, than an Egg with a 1000 cooks would cook more flavorful food right!

Ok Sunday morning rant over! I'm going to calm down and Egg On! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    That's bvllshit

just cook on it. There's no such things a seasoning an egg

gasket? Maybe. It's been known to peel off if the first thing you do is go nuclear for an extended time (like, long moderate to high heat cooks all day at an eggfest).  There's film at an eggfest of a gasket peeling on a new egg

but even then, not a big deal. Just reapply and check it the bext day. 

For that reason it has generally become thiught you should just do medium-high cooks, or shorter high temp cooks (like quick burgers, etc) for the first few just to make sure the gasket is ok
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    I use my favorite rub to season my egg.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Jupiter Jim
    LRW said:
    I use my favorite rub to season my egg.

I agree, sometimes I season the Chef with liquid seasoning! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Because i do clean burns regularly, and at temps in the 900F area, any impregnated flavor would get vaporized anyway....
  • JonD2016
    JonD2016 Posts: 6
    The wood impreganation thing sounds like total BS. 
    I had the BGE rep at my house after an issue with an XL I bought in January.  The only seasoning related comment he made was to make your first several cooks at low or medium temps.  In other words, don't take it out of the box and build a 750F steak fire.  
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    When you lick that cast iron frying pan make sure it is smoking hot...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Codfish said:
    When you lick that cast iron frying pan make sure it is smoking hot...

Oh no that would burn off the great oh so sought after seasoned taste! Medium temp would taste better!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I do BGE seasonings for free. Send yours to me, it takes about three to five years to do it perfectly, and then when it is done, I will notify you to come and get it. Just make sure it has a KAB, an AR and I will handle the rest.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky