Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skin cancer...

Options
2»

Comments

• Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    Options
    Had MOHs 2 weeks ago, that moved the surgery count up to 23 over the last 30 years. Half of that has been on the face. Also got lucky the biopsy by the ear was negative.
    Niceville, Fl
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My prayers and thoughts go out to you @dougcrann, @Focker and others going through the Big C.  I lost my dad to bone cancel in 1973 when I was 9 and my mom is a breast cancer survivor for around 10 years now.  

@dougcrann, good luck sir, My father in law has been through a few treatments over the last few years and just as recent as a month ago.  He is doing well, wears a big hat and the best sun screen you can by when he is outside.  This one hits to close to room.  I will be thinking about you.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Best of luck to all of you.  
    Being a native Miami gal who has always loved fishing and boating, I'm going to go make an appt. right now...been putting it off.  
    And while we're on the subject...my vet tells me there's been a huge increase in dogs getting skin cancer.  Keep your pets out of the sun too.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Ron, that is awesome you've been cancer free!

My dad, who has cried maybe a couple times, called me sobbing yesterday with news he's got prostate cancer.  His is pretty aggressive.  Going to IA City VA with him soon to get more deets.  He couldn't remember what they were telling him when they broke the news.  Pretty sure radiation will be soon.  Got a great Oncologist and Urologist already lined up.  Time to gear up, and go to battle.....again.
    Thanks! Yes, your Dad received bad news - but not a death sentence though that is what "he heard" since I did the same. BTW my Gleason score was 8.9 where a 10 is dead man walking. He needs your support now more than ever, Brandon. He'll have anxious months ahead of him. I hope he weighs all the options available and I personally say stay away from surgery. I have known too many successful, confident men crushed because the way the surgeon's knife altered their life. Tell your Father to keep the faith and don't give up - like I said prostate cancer is not a death sentence. We should probably take our conversation to private email. You have my address so if I can help your Father please contact me.

Thanks so much Ron.  His Gleason was a 9.  I'll get you my cell via email soon.  Working a couple 12s in a row.  Will be in touch soon bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    @Ladeback69....thanks. When doc mentioned biopsy my heart skipped a beat. Patiently waiting for his phone call. 
    @BBQBuddy...interesting, what your vet mentioned. We have a Blue Nose Pitbull and an American Bull Dog-Pit Bull mix, very short hair. This will be the first summer having both of them. They both really enjoy sleeping outside in the sun. Thanks for the info.
    Seen a dermo a while back who had some interesting things to say. She made mention that many of us are of Norwegian ancestory...she jokingly said my distant relatives were probably Vikings. She stated that it should not really be all to surprising to us about the increase in skin cancer. Taking folks whose ancestors lived in an area,that doesn't see a whole lot of sun and dropping us into areas where we have 300+ days a year of sun...at the time I thought she was just kidding around...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    My spots turned out to be no big deal.

Good to know!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Good to know!
    GREAT!  Happy for you! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Good to know!
    Outstanding...
  • dougcrann
    Options
    That wasn't what I wanted to hear. Biopsy came back as cancerous. Said biopsy showed they got it all but wants to see me in 2 months for a follow up...
  • RRP
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    That wasn't what I wanted to hear. Biopsy came back as cancerous. Said biopsy showed they got it all but wants to see me in 2 months for a follow up...
    oh, boy...but may your follow up be a good one, Doug!
  • Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    Options
    Doug do the 2 month appt. and a 6 month, after that remind them of the spot on each appt.so they will check it close. Sounds like it worked out great, good luck and always keep an eye for any change. Don't want to be downer Debby but been at it for 30+ years.
    Niceville, Fl
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Doug do the 2 month appt. and a 6 month, after that remind them of the spot on each appt.so they will check it close. Sounds like it worked out great, good luck and always keep an eye for any change. Don't want to be downer Debby but been at it for 30+ years.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be following the 6 month checks instead of yearly. My wife is already on me about not wearing my hat,and sunscreen when I go outside to work. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Most all of this thread has had to do with cancerous spots on the face/head. The posts have been by those who have had the problems in the past and sun exposure is the most common connection. Does anyone have a great link to clear pictures of skin cancers on the body - especially for those of us both male and female who have not had our bodies exposed to sunlight in many years?

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Most all of this thread has had to do with cancerous spots on the face/head. The posts have been by those who have had the problems in the past and sun exposure is the most common connection. Does anyone have a great link to clear pictures of skin cancers on the body - especially for those of us both male and female who have not had our bodies exposed to sunlight in many years?

Ron, you pose a good question.  The American Academy of Dermatology website has good photos and links.  What's salient is this:  if you have a growth anywhere on your body, get it looked at.  If either of your parents had a skin cancer, you have at least a 50% chance of developing skin cancer.  The #1 spot for melanoma in females is the back of their legs and melanoma is almost epidemic.  Scaly or crusty spots are usually pre cancerous and lend well to freezing or laser.  Tanning booths are ridiculous.  See a dermatologist if you have any new/ changing spots on your skin no matter where you live.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Always get an annual check-up.  Have had several basal cancers on my forehead removed.  When I was growing up in rural Nebraska, no one had ever heard of sunscreen or sunglasses.  Always ended up getting burned every year, but never worried about it except for transitory discomfort.  Now I always wear a brimmed hat and use sunscreen.  Fortunately our kids and grandchildren are much better protected than we were.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:
    Excuse my stupidity. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 57. That scared the living sh&t out of me. I had radiation etc and have been clean since then which is now 15 years later. Skin cancers seem to be on the rise or are they just more often diagnosed? 
    Probably a bit of both. More people with more leisure time out in the sun more and more awareness of getting funny looking spots on your skin looked at.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't have any pictures of mine but I can give you a good idea of what it started out as. Mine started in my hairline on the front of my head. It really just started as something that looked like a ingrown hair. The only problem was it wouldn't go away. It would bleed and scab over and then be fine for months. Only after breaking multiple bones in my foot(drunken accident) did I ask my regular doctor to look at it. He had me into the Dermatologist within a week and I had the cancer removed on my 35th birthday. After reading everything I could find on the initial diagnosis I decided to do MOHs surgery and if I'm ever faced with the same decision I will do the exact same thing. Just giving you my experience. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Cancer sucks. Dad and mother in law back to back to back to back. 

Prayers inbound brother. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Bf56
    Bf56 Posts: 14
    Options
    I also have skin cancer basal cell had to cut out of my back. Also had spots on my
    my face every time I would shave it was very irritating. They froze it twice did not
    work had to have two skin peels on my face last summer no fun. Cancer sucks
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Most of the skin damage is done before you are 15 is what my surgeon told me. The more times you have been sunburned, the more damage is done. Sun damage gets more obvious as you get older. Diabetes also makes it worse.  Baby boomers are reaching the prime age for skin cancer. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • dougcrann
    Options
    egger ave said:
    Most of the skin damage is done before you are 15 is what my surgeon told me. The more times you have been sunburned, the more damage is done. Sun damage gets more obvious as you get older. Diabetes also makes it worse.  Baby boomers are reaching the prime age for skin cancer. 
    When I was a kid I was very sensitive to the sun. Burn blister repeat. Rode a motorcycle for the first 6-7 years in AZ.  The spot that was removed was right above where the cheek pad ended in my helmet. Ernestina noticed I have an off color spot on the other side. Will have the doc look at it.  
    Before he removed the spot on Monday he picked at it a bit...and it hurt. Think that was part of the reason he removed it. 
    Sadly I will wonder if I will ever learn. Had some welding to do today. My welding coat was hanging on a hanger right next to where I was working...should have put it on, got a bit of "sun burn" today....