Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More pix from Japan

Options
Yesterday's market treasures included a knife sharpening stone, salt, wasabi peanuts.  Doing an accessory run soon.  Had lunch at hibachi restaurant yesterday.  Had great a-5 quality beef.  Going to the temple of Kobe for dinner tomorrow night.  Pix attached
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    nice pictures...makes me want to go back for a month.  Best food anywhere I travelled!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Agreed.  Fantastic meals and presentation.  And the grilling is not to be believed.  Happy trails.  

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Visited friends who were "teachers abroad" in Tokyo for 12+ years a few years ago now......stayed for about three weeks.......visited Omiya (bonsai Mecca), Kyoto, Myajima Island, and Hiroshima.....a magnificent trip.....best we have ever taken.....food was just tremendous.....people were pleasant and helpful everywhere....we hope to go back some day......visiting Hiroshima was a very sobering experience......most people would be surprised at the Japanese feeling about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.......we loved it.....
    Berlin, Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I was fortunate enough to get to visit Japan back in the late 90's. However it was unfortunate that I did not get to do much site seeing. I was working on the Yufutsu main gas transmission line of Japex's. I really would have liked to have seen Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki for historical reasons. Enjoy your time there my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great pix!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @rsterman. So agree with you.  Hiroshima was very sobering and life changing. when I saw the destruction, touched some of the remains, saw the faces, then thought about the implications today, was very sobering indeed.  I was so very moved by the deft touch of the Japanese.  No blame, just the stark visualization. 

But, on a happy note, trip and food is phenomenal, Kobe as a big splurge tomorrow.  Will be posting.  Thx again

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @SGH.  Thx.  Bought knives for wedding gifts in Kyoto.  Hope you get here soon.  Worth every moment.  The grilling is amazing. Take care.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Amazing place, beautiful country, wonderful people. Glad you are enjoying your visit. I will make the return journey, as there is one spectacular hiking trip left for me there.
    Please keep posting.
    Safe travels.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @YukonRon.  Thx for your note and good wishes.  Great trip so far.  Spectacular food, people, sites.  I will be posting more. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    More please....more please.  Awesome!  Enjoy your trip. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    You History Buffs......  I found a free book on kindle that is the official US Army Corps of Engineers report on the atomic bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Very interesting read.  It only takes about an hour if you buckle down and read it front to back; read it waiting on my dad's surgery a while back.  turns out the doc was also a history nut!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bgebrent
    Options
    You History Buffs......  I found a free book on kindle that is the official US Army Corps of Engineers report on the atomic bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Very interesting read.  It only takes about an hour if you buckle down and read it front to back; read it waiting on my dad's surgery a while back.  turns out the doc was also a history nut!!!!
    Reference please.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    As odd as it may seem, after the destruction, many soldiers from the US were sent in to occupy Japan. Many became ill, and later died from complications associated from the high levels of radiation.
    If I understood correctly, by both what I had been told and read, thousands were affected. My father was in the Navy at the time, and his death was from cancer, a type commonly linked to high amounts of exposure to radioactivity. I did not know him well, and I understood him to have been ill for an appreciable portion of his life.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    That radioactivity will affect us all forever, albeit diminishing by half life and dilution.  My long dead father in law died with a distinguished flying cross after 30+ missions over Europe including D-Day and Berlin.  No nukes.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    True, remember polonium and tobacco, my friend.
    The transuranics from those blasts, Chernobyl, and others have released enough to do us all in. 
    No Nukes.
    The peace sign origin was the result of the semaphore representation by the protesters against nuclear war in the '60s.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @bgebrent just check the kindle store. It's out there. Might be able to find it on google. 

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    My parents both served in WWll.  Mom was an officer in the Navy, Dad an officer in the Army Air Corp.  It was so sad to see and touch its power and the sheer destruction of the bomb.  Made me very sad.  Meanwhile, the Japanese are amazing in their attitude and approach to it.  

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Spent six months statined in Yokosuka, and was able to travel to several different cities around there. Food is AMAZING there, and surprisingly, the Oktoberfest in Yokohama was pretty awesome. Go find some Okonomiyaki!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @lewisj82.  We did and it is great.  Food is amazing.  Thx!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
     It was so sad to see and touch its power and the sheer destruction of the bomb.  Made me very sad.  Meanwhile, the Japanese are amazing in their attitude and approach to it.  
    Have you visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial? Equally sad to say the least.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @BGEbrent..... here's the html version....  http://www.abomb1.org/hiroshim/hiro_med.html

• bgebrent
    Options
    @BGEbrent..... here's the html version....  http://www.abomb1.org/hiroshim/hiro_med.html
    Thanks man!  I appreciate that.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    lewisj82 said:
    Spent six months statined in Yokosuka, and was able to travel to several different cities around there. Food is AMAZING there, and surprisingly, the Oktoberfest in Yokohama was pretty awesome. Go find some Okonomiyaki!

I spent three years travelling and working out of Yokosuka....Eat enough bacon wrapped scallops to grow a shell on my back up at a restaurant around Chuo station.  Late 80's were the days to be over there....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC