Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing uncooked spare ribs

Options
Egg friends, I had a friend who bought too many ribs for a large cook and gave me a slab that was still sealed last week.  I was out of town and cant cook until this weekend.  Would it hurt to freeze them?  Or would it be ok to leave them in the fridge until Saturday?  They were purchased last Wednesday so Saturday would be like 10 days.  Thanks!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    IMHO.. I think they will be just fine left in the fridge.. I have left vacuum packed stuff in the fridge for weeks before cooking them..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options
    If they smell ok cook them. I do freeze ribs and so no difference in the taste.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They are OK to freeze, I have several racks in the deep freezer right now. However, with you cooking them on Saturday, no need to freeze, by the time they are frozen you would be getting them out and putting them in the fridge to thaw. Just leave them in the fridge.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    If your cooking in just a few days don't freeze them. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'd freeze, unless they are marked as 'never frozen', they most likely have been frozen already.  No harm to do it again.  And I agree if you are cooking in a couple days no big deal to freeze or not.  I can't plan that far ahead... so I'd freeze.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Don't refreeze. No need. These things aren't hand grenades that go off and spew death. They are fine for a week or so easily, especially if in cryo
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     These things aren't hand grenades 
    Yes they are ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.