Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin BBQ joint recommendations?

Options
Heading to Austin for a bachelor party. Would love to hear your lists of best BBQ joints. Obviously Franklin's will top many (and by all means put it on top if it's your favorite), but would love to hear about others too. 

Thanks!
Southern California

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Drive over to Lockhart.  Try Smitty's.  Its really good.   The Salt Lick is pretty good. Great Atmosphere.  its BYOB if I am not mistaken. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Franklins will have a line half way around the block to get in.
    La Barbeque has excellent food sold out of a trailer (similar to single location food truck) with outside benches for seating. Be aware they now only take credit/debit cards, no cash.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• moosepro
    moosepro Posts: 23
    Options
      Stiles Switch  WebsiteDirectionsBBQ joint in Violet Crown shopping center for smoked meats & local draft beer amid old-school decor.Address: 6610 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78757Phone:(512) 380-9199Hours: Thursday11AM–9PMFriday11AM–10PMSaturday11AM–10PMSunday11AM–9PMMondayClosedTuesday11AM–9PMWednesday11AM–9PM
    Brooks 
    Pflugerville Texas
    Sooner Born and Sooner Bred =) 
    LBGE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The talk of the town is Valentin's.  I haven't been, but I trust Cen-Tex's recommendation.

I can no longer recommend La Barbecue.  John Lewis is gone and his understudy, Esaul Ramos has left too. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    If you are in Austin, Driftwood area (where Salt Lick Barbeque joint is located), on Saturday come on out to the Texas Eggfest. You will enjoy so much food you won't be able to drink....oh...that's not a good thing, is it???  See TexasEggfest.com.  If you come be sure to ask for Spring Chicken, Popsicle, EggObsessed, Hotch, AustinEgghead, plus many more of the forum regulars. We would love to meet you.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Micklethwait Craft Meats  - http://craftmeatsaustin.com/
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    La BBQ I have had twice recently and it's outstanding. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    People, PLEASE, it's Franklin BBQ, not Franklin's. :) I'd add to this good list Freedman's BBQ in the west campus area of UT, ask for whatever your favorite BBQ is and they'll hook you up.  
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Franklin, Black's, Smitty's.   Don't bother going to Stubbs.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ. Best I've had after Franklin..
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    cazzy said:
    The talk of the town is Valentin's.  I haven't been, but I trust Cen-Tex's recommendation.

I can no longer recommend La Barbecue.  John Lewis is gone and his understudy, Esaul Ramos has left too. 

http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/

You'll be eating at picnic tables in a parking lot, but sooo worth it.  Store right there to buy your beverages.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ is the bomb. In a trailer in a connoco gas station/vape shop/liquor store parking lot.

I still have faith that LABBQ is good. Last time I went they were sold out at noon (That's why we wen't to Valentina's. 

Mickelthwait is awesome too. 

Franklin is still the king but the others mentioned above are all better than you will get anywhere outside of Austin.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    Curious what the Austinites think of Louie Mueller's compared to the big names.  I've had Franklin's, Valentina's, Salt Lick, and a few others, but on my trip in February drove over to Louie Mueller's to have one of the beef ribs and wow was that fantastic.  I might take that over Franklin's brisket.  For the tex mex bbq thing we actually liked Valentina's sister trailer Violet Taco best, mainly because they had the connecting bar to get a margarita or craft beer.  Speaking of beer the live oak hefe in six packs is a can't miss for a bachelor party crew.  Stock your fridge!  Have fun!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    D_Train said:
    Curious what the Austinites think of Louie Mueller's compared to the big names.  I've had Franklin's, Valentina's, Salt Lick, and a few others, but on my trip in February drove over to Louie Mueller's to have one of the beef ribs and wow was that fantastic.  I might take that over Franklin's brisket.  For the tex mex bbq thing we actually liked Valentina's sister trailer Violet Taco best, mainly because they had the connecting bar to get a margarita or craft beer.  Speaking of beer the live oak hefe in six packs is a can't miss for a bachelor party crew.  Stock your fridge!  Have fun!
    Louie Mueller  good BBQ from a seasoned BBQ fanatic in the Austin area.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I've got a friend coming in from Munich, we are hitting the eggfest Saturday.  I said, lets skip the stores and cook one ourselves.  That's half the fun IMO.  I think I do OK nowadays, S&P and oak, 275 on a prime brisky.. what can go wrong!  

Louie's started all the now famous names in Austin, folks in the know will give mad respect.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've had like 25% success at Louies. I love the place but god I've had some bad bbq there.

Sumo- you are on the right track. I have an 11lb SRF Brisket in my freezer if you want to use it and replace. Think I paid $125 for it. Munich is a long haul. You are welcome to it if you want it.

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Franklin is the best, but you'll have to get there by 9 and wait in line until ~1 for food. The line itself is fun - kinda like tailgating - but does take a while.

LA BBQ was my second favorite (but not close to Franklin IMO), but several people have left as mentioned by cazzy and I haven't been recently. 

Freedman's, Micklethwait and Valentina's are all very good with different pluses and minuses to each but I would go back to any of them in a heartbeat.

Stiles - I've been twice and left disappointed both times. My wife had a work dinner there 2 weeks ago and said the brisket was not good but the sausage and sides were good.

The places mentioned above that are out of town are good but would be a minimum 45 minute drive to Louie Mueller and probably ~1 hr to Smitty's. Salt Lick is overrated and not that good in my opinion. 

Another option not listed is John Mueller Meat Co - good but inconsistent - however they are withing 0.5 miles of two different breweries (Blue Owl and Hops and Grain) so you guys could easily walk to them.

Kerlin BBQ and Terry Black's have gotten good reviews lately but I haven't been to either one.
    Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I favor Stile Switch, I have been multiple times and never disapoint.  I was impressed with La BBQ on my one visit.  I dont want to be a heathen on here but the turkey and half chicken at Rudys is perfect- the sausage and brisket is meh.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I've had like 25% success at Louies. I love the place but god I've had some bad bbq there.

Sumo- you are on the right track. I have an 11lb SRF Brisket in my freezer if you want to use it and replace. Think I paid $125 for it. Munich is a long haul. You are welcome to it if you want it.

Thanks a ton for the offer, but I'm cooking tonight.  Plus, I think he wants to go and pick one out at HEB ;)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    cazzy said:

I may have caught Vanentina's on their best day but it was by far the best brisket I have ever had. I would make a point to go back on my next trip. Also, the guys were very nice and, since it wasn't busy when I was there in the middle of a weekday, they showed me around the pit. 

*I have not been to Franklin's so I can't compare. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Personally I would drive out to Snow's BBQ on Saturday morning and then stop by Louie Mueller's on the way back to Austin.

Snow's is only open Saturday's.  They start serving at 8am.  It's a fun experience to have BBQ for breakfast.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    cazzy said:

I may have caught Vanentina's on their best day but it was by far the best brisket I have ever had. I would make a point to go back on my next trip. Also, the guys were very nice and, since it wasn't busy when I was there in the middle of a weekday, they showed me around the pit. 

*I have not been to Franklin's so I can't compare. 
    it's like that every day...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks a ton for the offer, but I'm cooking tonight.  Plus, I think he wants to go and pick one out at HEB ;)
    I saw some real nice Meyer all natural packers at the lakeway HEB this week. Those are killer if you can snag one of those.