Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

C.I. Dutch Oven Fries

Options
Taters on sale, so I grabbed some Idaho's, washed 'em, and ran them through the French Fry press.

These will soak on ice water for a couple hours to reduce the starch. (There will be an inch of white goo on the bottom)

I'm going to set the ancient Dutch directly on the lump, put a gallon of peanut oil in it, and let it get up to 600º dome, I want that oil at least 400ºf.

That's the plan, when these are golden brown, I'll remove the Dutch to cool, set the grate on and grill up a few burgers I've got mixed with some dried onions, paprika, S&P, What'sthisheresauce, and garlic powder.

We'll have some sauteéd shrooms, pickles, lettuce, tomato. I like to make common stuff from scratch... made mustard two days ago... should be ripe enough by now. Ketchup is store bought, haven't made that yet.

I do have some home made mayo also. The pickles were garden cucumbers last summer.

Pictures as it comes off the Egg and get's on a plate.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Make sure your homeowners and medical insurance are paid up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh I'll be following this. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Great Balls of Fire!!

No, it was cool. The fries were cold, not frozen. A little oil spilled over and flared up, and nobody got hurt. Dumped the taters in at 370º

The fries turned out golden brown, crispy, and reminded me of 5 Guys.
    You can see in this picture, a couple of greenish taters got picked too early.

Burgers got on last, and the fries were cooling off, so I put them in the oven while the burgers finished.

Rockwood never disappoints, except the UPS guy and rough handling broke the bag at the bottom, so it will be upside down for a few days until this bag is done.
    Plated picture is not loading... next comment:

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DieselkW
    Options

Indianapolis, IN

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pretty freaking sweet!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Those look like some great fries
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh yeah! Looks nice.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Looks great! Glad to hear it didn't go up in flames. I was visioning the frozen turkey dropped in a pot of oil.
    I thought the oil overspray would catch it on fire.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I thought the oil overspray would catch it on fire.
    It got to leaning a bit as one side of the lump burned down faster, but whatever spilled just flared quickly and died back down.

I've done it a couple times now - won't ever buy fries again.

Indianapolis, IN

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    classic meal . . freeeekin' beautiful 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Nice.  On point!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009