Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC coolers

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I am trying to mod a divider for the 65.  I made a template out of cardboard.  It is 13" wide at the top, 12" wide at the bottom and 12" tall.  I am thinking maybe I can use a cutting board or something.  Any suggestions?

So, in addition, any "basket" will need to be 13" wide at the top...  Still searching.  I might mod my Yeti basket to help it fit...
    Like the Winco SS condiment bins, there is something out there that will work.  Someone just needs to make/find it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I am trying to mod a divider for the 65.  I made a template out of cardboard.  It is 13" wide at the top, 12" wide at the bottom and 12" tall.  I am thinking maybe I can use a cutting board or something.  Any suggestions?

So, in addition, any "basket" will need to be 13" wide at the top...  Still searching.  I might mod my Yeti basket to help it fit...
    The saltwater fishing guys are pretty crafty when it comes to modding coolers for bait trays etc. Try doing a search at thehulltruth.com
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Question for those of you who have RTIC, why does it take so long to receive their product. Shouldn't it ship quickly.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Question for those of you who have RTIC, why does it take so long to receive their product. Shouldn't it ship quickly.
    At the price point they are not able to keep up with demand.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'm not at all involved in Cooler Wars but have to say it's damn entertaining. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    At the price point they are not able to keep up with demand.
    They most likely have cash flow issues. They just need time to catch up.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I am pretty sure they dont stock them, ie. Carry inventory, which can be costly.  So, when enough units are ordered, the factory cranks them out amd they are shipped to U.S.   i am assuming made in China?    Anyway between build time, shipping and customs clearance and ultimately getting distributed in the US to us, they are moving as fast as they can. oh yeah at half the price of a yeti, demand sure causes a line to be formed.....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    High demand so no inventory. They are made in China and take the slow boat in shipping containers. Add customs and freight to that. They will have a store front in Houston when supply catches up to demand.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Lookie what the mail man dropped off today. Leaving for Punta Cana in a few hours and the will be making the trip. Can wait to try them out sitting on the beach of the resort. Thanks Amazon I ordered Sunday evening and they were here by lunch today. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeti is way cooler because all your friends will know you spent lots of money for it.  Isn't that how it works?
    Options
    Sure but they all know I search for the best deal and at 22.27 and free shipping and no sales tax was great. On a side note if some one wanted to do a group buy there is a seller on Amazon selling a case of 30 30oz tumblers for $477. Just about $16 each. 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    The 30oz is quite big that is it sitting next to a half gallon mason jar. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    30 oz is almost 1/4 gallon.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Yeti is way cooler because all your friends will know you spent lots of money for it.  Isn't that how it works?
    You nailed it!

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• hashissmokin
    Options
    I ordered the 65 on Friday 4/22.  Received an order confirmation but have a feeling it will be quite some time before I receive a shipping confirmation.  Hoping to have it at least by July
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • KermitTheEgg
    Options

There are many brands out there that make RotoMolded coolers, (Pelican, Orca, Yeti, RTIC, Grizzly, Siberian, etc).  As far as the debate goes as which one is better, there are many opinions about this one mainly it comes down to the Ford v Chevy debacle.

I personally have an ORCA 58QT and it is perfect for our family and it truly is a 58QT size, that is one downfall about Yeti, they don’t use internal dimensions.  I know a lot of guys with “roadie” sized coolers and they honestly are all very comparable.  IMO, I would outdrink anything in those style coolers long before the ice would be gone.  But on the bigger sized ones, since essentially they are almost the same thing, I don’t believe you can go wrong with any of them.   

As far as dividers go, some are universal, others are not. 

Here is a video that I recommend anyone watching in the market for a cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Cheers.

Matt

Thank you.

Q
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

• hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    Options

LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    SGH said:
    Anyone know the story on these coolers?  I'd recently heard that they were tied up in a class-action lawsuit with YETI and that everything is backordered until it's settled.
    I know the story very well. I will give you a very brief summation. Yeti immediately files a lawsuit against any new manufacturer of rotomolded coolers. This is absolute fact and something that you can research for yourself if you think that I am making it up. I assure you that I am not. It's part of their business model. Sue early, and sue often. 
    With that said and aside, RTIC agreed to change the design of their latches to appease Yeti. The suit has been over for many months and the RTIC machine is now turning out coolers in record numbers. Not to worry my friend, RTIC is here to stay. I have 6 of their coolers and they are simply spectacular.  
    Thanks for the input man.  But by reading some of your previous posts I thought that YOU were even to poor to afford ONE of these.  Turns out you have six of them among many other high-end coolers, pelicans etc.  Just giving you a hard time.  I did research it and you are correct.  As I actually found a thread back from 2015 that you had posted on.  Thanks again!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks for the input man.  But by reading some of your previous posts I thought that YOU were even to poor to afford ONE of these.  Turns out you have six of them among many other high-end coolers, pelicans etc.  Just giving you a hard time.  I did research it and you are correct.  As I actually found a thread back from 2015 that you had posted on.  Thanks again!
    My pleasure brother. And for clarification, at one time I was fairly well off. Like most folks, I amassed a great fortune during the Glory Days of "Big Ron". But atlas, it's all but gone. Like most folks, the last 7 years has really taken its toll on me and what money I had. I'm almost destitute now. If Hillary wins, my money will not hold. I will fade into oblivion along with everything that I spent my life working hard for. My only hope is that Trump pulls it off somehow. If Hillary wins (or any taxocrat) I will be living in one of these rotomolded coolers. So please brother, vote often, vote early, and more importantly, vote Trump. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @SGH -  I suspect the buffalo scent is very much alerted when politics roam into a thread discussion.  The only outcome I want is ABC.  I can choke down any alternative.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I need another cooler..I called RTIC in Tx today...they have high demand and they have switched to another supplier (could be problems)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    Ordered a 45 in tan on 3/21.  They still haven't changed the target date from 5/31.   Hopeful it makes it by then.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    My pleasure brother. And for clarification, at one time I was fairly well off. Like most folks, I amassed a great fortune during the Glory Days of "Big Ron". But atlas, it's all but gone. Like most folks, the last 7 years has really taken its toll on me and what money I had. I'm almost destitute now. If Hillary wins, my money will not hold. I will fade into oblivion along with everything that I spent my life working hard for. My only hope is that Trump pulls it off somehow. If Hillary wins (or any taxocrat) I will be living in one of these rotomolded coolers. So please brother, vote often, vote early, and more importantly, vote Trump. 
    I think I still have the box my big green egg came in. You can let your boy sleep in it if you want it its yours. 

Little Rock, AR

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    I need another cooler..I called RTIC in Tx today...they have high demand and they have switched to another supplier (could be problems)
    Did they say regarding which products?  Tumblers or coolers or just parts?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    You guys see this on WOOT today? (SIAP)

http://www.woot.com/
  • Photo Egg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    HondaHawk said:
    You guys see this on WOOT today? (SIAP)

http://www.woot.com/
    I posted earlier but no  one seemed to care.lol

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194376/orca-coolers-on-woot#latest
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Ordered a 20 oz tumbler on Monday and it arrived Wednesday, excited that they have caught up on some backlog.

Quality seems great, kept ice all day at work even after refilling it 4-5 times. It's a little smaller than I hoped but didn't have much to compare it to before ordering.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Ordered a 20 oz tumbler on Monday and it arrived Wednesday, excited that they have caught up on some backlog.

Quality seems great, kept ice all day at work even after refilling it 4-5 times. It's a little smaller than I hoped but didn't have much to compare it to before ordering.

Ordered a 20oz for my Big Guy's 12th birthday, should arrive tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Anyone have a grizzly cooler? I want a 20 roodie size, I like that it's USA made vs the others. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Anyone have a grizzly cooler? I want a 20 roodie size, I like that it's USA made vs the others. 
    How about a blemished Orca made in USA. Its a little larger.

http://www.woot.com/offers/orca-extra-heavy-duty-coolers-3?ref=eml_w_dly_tl&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=63c60ff8eb-Daily+Digest+-+20160428+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-63c60ff8eb-279019102#tracked
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas