Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why go Green?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I bought my bge before even knowing what KJ was, I have a dealer about 1 mile away and local KJ dealer is 12 miles away.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Rad5 said:
    Today I checked out a KJ at an area Ace Hardware and those grills aren't for me. I feel as if they are a knock off of the BGE. I am sure they are great, but they weren't calling my name like the BGE does. Also, I wasn't very fond of the color, they looked more orange than red. I have a nice patio and I think that thing would stick out like a traffic cone. This forum has been great and I really enjoy the following the BGE has compared to the KJ site. My mind is made up. Green is for me!
    Great choice and if I could hit the agree button more than once I would........ :) Oh and welcome to the cult!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I am tempted to post @hapster 's "loving bacon" photo.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    There are other Kamado forums with owners from ALL brands. Green is not as well represented....
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    And you won't get "pants" at a BGE event.

My wife will still attempt it!
    Orlando, FL 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    @theyolksonyou I get them confused all the time!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lady Gaga may owe you a licensing fee arising from being the first to be wrapped/covered in meat.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @SmokinTiger81she can't even dream of the stuff tony can do with a bacon weave. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Rad5 said:
    Hello. I am upgrading my old propane smoker and I was thinking of getting a Kamado style grill. I like the idea of having a smoker, grill, and oven. Besides making BBQ, love making pizzas, roasts, grilling meats and vegetables. Getting a Kamado seems like a great fit. I have done some research on line and I see there are 2 very popular brands. I’m trying to decide…a Big Green Egg or a Kamado Joe? Please tell me why the BGE is a better choice. I have never owned a ceramic grill so any advice would be appreciated.
    Green is a happy color, red is an angry color, I like to be happy when I'm cooking. :)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Guys who own KJ's wear Jorts with Crocs. 

I kid. Both very similar. Lots of guys on here are switch hitters...and own both brands. You can't go wrong but you may feel a little on the outside if you get in to all the eggfest etc. I wouldn't make a decision based on that but they are a riot and I highly recommend you get involved in the greater BGE community no matter which you choose.

I think in this case your local dealer might be the deal breaker. Since these have a lifetime warranty, having a good dealer is a relationship that matters and will matter for years to come. 
    Don't listen to this guy. The eggfest crowd is a bunch of miscreants who travel the country egging up a storm, ravaging and pillaging as they go. The alcohol concoctions are not for the faint of heart - apple pie moonshine and bourbon slushies for example. 

But they are nice folks. Will do way more for relative strangers than you would think was normal for people these days. Restores one's faith in humanity to a degree. 

And KJ really has a forum??

BGE rules !!  KJ drools... :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I didn't read all the nonsense above, but the brands make comparable products -- you'll get the same results. 

Warranty:  the BGE sounds better, but depends on your situation.

Heed this:  Knowing what I know now, I would not buy from BGE if there's only one dealer near you and they are not committed.  Feel out the dealers, look on this forum.  I'd rather have the Kamado Joe and mail service warranty than a BGE with a crappy dealer.  And the reverse of that.
    KJ roadshow at costco is a killer deal. KJ seems to be inovating more lately, divide & conquer, Joetisserie. Pretty much can't go wrong with either. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    KJ makes a great product, as does BGE. I was very happy with my initial purchase of an XL, so I bought another, the MM.
    It really comes down to this; Service.
    In my situation, I have had great support from my dealer, as well as the mothership. That was key for me. I use mine every chance I get, and if there was an Issue where I can't or couldn't, then I would have a very expensive patio weight in a green happy color.
    The support for your cooking investment is key. Go with the one you will feel comfortable with. Your dealer will be your partner, so invest the time and do the research before investing the money.
    I will also say this forum has been extremely beneficial for support as well. These folks are incredible, they have helped me so much. I continue to learn, which is significant, in my view.
    Good luck and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    beteez said:
    KJ roadshow at costco is a killer deal. KJ seems to be inovating more lately, divide & conquer, Joetisserie. Pretty much can't go wrong with either. 
    KJ has a lot more improvements in the works - cast iron fireboxes, new cap to replace the "daisy wheel" with one that is rainproof and doesn't change position when you open the dome, counterbalance hinges so you can open close the dome with two fingers and it will hold position at whatever point you want. They also appear to be readying some new grate/griddle options one of which will be made from soapstone. Should be an interesting year ahead on the KJ front.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Why are some people saying the BGE warranty is better than the KJ warranty?  They both have full lifetime warranties on the ceramics, and KJ ships the parts straight to your house rather than having to go through a dealer.  Am I missing something ?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Why are some people saying the BGE warranty is better than the KJ warranty?  They both have full lifetime warranties on the ceramics, and KJ ships the parts straight to your house rather than having to go through a dealer.  Am I missing something ?
    Also, KJ is not so hung up on whether one is the original owner or not.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Why are some people saying the BGE warranty is better than the KJ warranty?  They both have full lifetime warranties on the ceramics, and KJ ships the parts straight to your house rather than having to go through a dealer.  Am I missing something ?
    Yeah, I wondered that myself.  I've had a warranty replacement on my firebox and ring.  They were delivered to my door 3 days after calling.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    The green egg has a way better community. The KJ comes with all the accessories and is cheaper.  My KJ dealer will service the KJ warranty without having to make me mess with it, where my Egg dealer is a complete A-hole when it comes to warranty.  

The green egg community is amazing though and well worth the cost of green.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    KJ headquarters have set a new bar on level of service. 

Free warrenty shipments to your door, regestered your grill. Fill out the online paperwork, send in a photo when you are asked to. I have had FBs replaced under warrenty. My cooking grate popped a weld, no problem. 

Far less time and energy than going to a dealer. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    theres a bourbon slushie recipe =) wheres the bourbon slushie recipe?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Posted in the NCBB thread of atrocities 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    bigbadben said:
    KJ headquarters have set a new bar on level of service. 

agree wholeheartedly!!!

i emailed kj about a support issue and had an answer within an hour.  i emailed bge regarding a warranty issue and its been over a month (3/18) with no response whatsoever!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    YukonRon said:
    Posted in the NCBB thread of atrocities 
    looks like a good recipe for the camp, thanks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Hmmmm... Maybe we should all sell our eggs for whatever we can get for them and become Joeheads instead of Eggheads.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    I dont think you could go wrong with either. I just got my xl this past weekend thanks to an amazing deal. 

I am curious though,  i do have 4 maybe 5 egg dealers within a 5 mile radius of my home. Can I easily go to whichever dealer I want for warranty claims as the dealer I bought my egg from is over an hour away?
  • OneNole03 said:
    I dont think you could go wrong with either. I just got my xl this past weekend thanks to an amazing deal. 

I am curious though,  i do have 4 maybe 5 egg dealers within a 5 mile radius of my home. Can I easily go to whichever dealer I want for warranty claims as the dealer I bought my egg from is over an hour away?
    yes
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    That's the way it is supposed to work. BGE holds the warranty not the dealer. A good dealer won't care.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Check the local dealers out.  If they only have one egg on the floor and a few products, you might want to move on down the list.  I live on the south side of Atlanta with a dealer 5 miles away.  I will drive 40 miles to one of the north side of town because they truly believe in the egg and are all active eggers.  Just ask any of the Atlanta folks about Roswell Hardware.....

I've had to replace my ring and firebox from cracks that eventually made them unstable.  Packed them up in the car and made the pilgrimage to Roswell HW where I was walking out the door with new parts in less than 3 minutes.

Oh, and in this commute, I drive within 10 miles of BGE HQ, but I like the people at the hardware store better!

Its the dealer network that will sell you on the deal. 

I can't speak highly enough of the folks at Wassai's there in Melbourne.  I had a friend that couldn't make it to their festival last year and she offered me the tickets last second.  I was able to call Janet over there and she transferred the tickets to another friend out of Orlando who just recently got her egg in a divorce.  She was a little scared of the egg, but is now cruising along like a pro.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!