Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Butt Blast: Documenting the Atrocities

Options

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina  A sunset dinner on the porch at the Grove Park Inn is always a good call 
    +1 Grove Park Inn!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    For us, we had a birthday to celebrate, and I pretty much left the "to do" list up to the princess. She chose to dine and explore the gardens at the Biltmore. The resort was wonderful and offered many options for us to participate in doing.
    We stayed at the Inn, after not being able to secure one of the residences here, they were booked and stayed booked.
    The food was spectacular, the wine list was extremely fine, exhibiting selections of California's finest and others from the world. Prices were jacked, but extremely reasonable, as we found a Northern Tuscany Sangiovese, 2009 at a tremendous bargain.
    We spent the days exploring, the evenings with long protracted dinners on the terrace of the Library Bar, watching the sun throw beautiful light on the mountains. Mt Pisgah looked awesome with the hues thrown her way.
    We are heading out, back to Louisville today. This has been the best road trip I have ever made.
    Meeting friends I had come to know through electronic media, was the best.
    The frolic and food was secondary.
    Thank you all for the wonderful insight and hospitality.
    This event will never be forgotten.
    Damn Ron you write well, speak well and are very knowledgeable to boot. Was a real pleasure meeting you and the Princess, looking forward to seeing you both soon, travel safe. J&K

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina  A sunset dinner on the porch at the Grove Park Inn is always a good call 

My wife loves that place!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    @YukonRon you have made a lot of people happy !!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @YukonRon 3 cups of bourbon??? Now I know why it put Delton on his ass! 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The Bourbon Slushy  
    My Beautiful Wife's Recipe from Church:

1 - 12oz Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
    1 - 12oz Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate 
    2 cups Unsweetened Ice Tea
    3 cups Bourbon (more if you are manly)
    7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    mix all until sugar dissolves 
    Freeze overnight.
    enjoy.

Thanks to you and your Hot Blond Wife for Recipe. We are going to call tomorrow and see about getting an RV site in Cincinnati for the Porkopolis Eggfest. I'm thinking youins are home?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The Bourbon Slushy  
    My Beautiful Wife's Recipe from Church:

1 - 12oz Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
    1 - 12oz Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate 
    2 cups Unsweetened Ice Tea
    3 cups Bourbon (more if you are manly)
    7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    mix all until sugar dissolves 
    Freeze overnight.
    enjoy.

Thanks to you and your Hot Blond Wife for Recipe. We are going to call tomorrow and see about getting an RV site in Cincinnati for the Porkopolis Eggfest. I'm thinking youins are home?
    Yeah, we be home. Let us know about porkopolis, we will make it. I would love to see Cincy flooded with the true Elders of the BGE Nation, the Southern Folk of the very first NCBB!

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I got to make something on the BGE and post it soon. People be thinking I am a lush. :o

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I got to make something on the BGE and post it soon. People be thinking I am a lush. :o
    Well you did spend $1100 at the liquor store one night.... J/K  ;)
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Well you did spend $1100 at the liquor store one night.... J/K  ;)
    Oh yeah, well, there was that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Not a lush! A Bourbon Slushy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yea get to cooking on the BGE....

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You are the bourbon slushy King, made all the rest of us lushes!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @YukonRon 3 cups of bourbon??? Now I know why it put Delton on his ass! 
    Took two of us to get him righted.  Nice guy.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A few things I want to share.  

First, BB is apparently still weighing on my mind.  My wife said I was talking in my sleep last night saying "participation was great" among other things about the event being great.  I talk in my sleep a lot.  My wife keeps notes in her phone many times of the things I say.  

I have to give a shout out to @JethroVA , though I didn't even meet his bodyguard.  Let me first say thanks for helping me clean my Eggs (with DoubleEgger and BGEbrent).  They were filthy.  Also, that oyster I had was some of the best I've had in a long time!  Briny and full of flavor!  I want more now! 

I hate I didn't get a tutorial of how to shuck an oyster though.  I was wanting to go over and let NOLA give me a tutorial, but forgot, and after a while, I was beat!  I WAS going to ask @theyolksonyou, but he came over holding his hand from gouging himself.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Can someone that has the ability to contact the theyolksonyou, that I sent him a message in regards to the pineapple things he did because I want the recipe. Thanks Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Can someone that has the ability to contact the theyolksonyou, that I sent him a message in regards to the pineapple things he did because I want the recipe. Thanks Jim
    Those were outstanding. I think he needs to package these for sale. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    As soon as I get to it, I have the recipe for the tortilla shells in case someone wants them.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Paging @theyolksonyou.... 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @tarheelmatt come on. You have to know how to shuck an oyster. Did you go to UNC? Surely been to plenty of oyster roasts in the Carolinas. Guess this is one thing I take for granted being raised on the water. Love me some oysters
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @tarheelmatt come on. You have to know how to shuck an oyster. Did you go to UNC? Surely been to plenty of oyster roasts in the Carolinas. Guess this is one thing I take for granted being raised on the water. Love me some oysters
    No, the fresh oysters we had at the restaurant were pre-shucked in tubs.  I have never been to a oyster roast either.  Guess being mid state I miss out.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
     I brought oyster knives with me.....but never managed to actually get them out. There was so much great food and chatter......I missed many things that I didn't even no occurred.  I will get @tarheelmatt up to speed at some point in the future. Chubbs you know the only way to get good at it is practice.....and I am happy to supervise that process while tasting......just to make sure he does not screw it up. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I forgot my oyster knife too.

This is what I have and what everyone uses in South Louisiana.   Wear gloves or hold the oyster in your hand with a towel.  Never push hard - slight pressure while wiggling and adjusting the angle until you have leverage.

Opening oysters is about finesse.  Or you can get a shucking machine (I have one but it weighs 25 pounds so didn't bring).  That uses brute force to pop the hinge, but you still have to use an oyster knife to cut the adductor muscle (and you'll have more shell particles to deal with).  I and a second person can shuck a sack in about 20 minutes with the machine.  I think @SGH saw that in action with party monster.

Options
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs, also, I didn't go to UNC-CH, just love the university.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Well that explains the Villanova t shirt.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim email sent. Been a busy week. 

@tarheelmatt I'm not the best shucker for sure, but I can eventually get into one with minor blood loss. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim email sent. Been a busy week. 

@tarheelmatt I'm not the best shucker for sure, but I can eventually get into one with minor blood loss. 
    Thanks got it. Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Chubbs said:
    Well that explains the Villanova t shirt.
    Exactly!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site