Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Charcoal?!

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,529
So when I got the newtome EGG home a few days ago and opened it up, I noticed that the guy had the thing filled up with charcoal all the way to to the cooking grate (there was about an 1/4 inch from the grate to the charcoal). I removed MOST of the charcoal only leaving a depth of about 3/4 to 1 inch of coal above the fire grate at the bottom. The thing was, I had to get a small fan to "fan the flames, to get it up to 4 hundy for my steaks. I was able to achieve 3 hundy without any issues at all...

So....

How much charcoal should I use....

It was old lump...
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Top of the fire ring, which is above the fire box.  The cast iron fire grate sits inside of the fire box.  

Old lump is generally good because the VOCs have been burned off, only thing that would concern me is if the charcoal is wet/damp.  But this will just take a little longer to light and get up to temp, no major concerns.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Depends.  If you are doing an indirect cook, doesn't hurt to fill it up.  If cooking direct, you may want a bit of a distance between the lump and the cooking grate. Fill the fire bowl, less than an inch of lump will not generate a lot of heat as you have learned.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    The most I would ever put in my egg would be just enough to barely cover the holes inside of your fire bowl. by covering these holes too much, you can restrict airflow into your egg and it will take longer to get it hot. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I fill my fire bowl to the top leaving the fire ring exposed. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    fill the box up into the ring until you get an understanding on the usage, it snuffs out when you shut it down and you just relight it for the next cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For direct cooks I use about half of the firebox full. I can easily hit 650 degrees for several hours with that amount and it gives you more distance between the grill grate and fire. I have a large
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Depends on cook time and temperature.  Overnight low and slow, or a high temp cook (pizza), fill close to the top of the fire ring; for a few hours at moderate temperatures, fill the fire box.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • billt01
    Options
    Thanks all!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    For direct cooks I use about half of the firebox full. I can easily hit 650 degrees for several hours with that amount and it gives you more distance between the grill grate and fire. I have a large

do you mean fire ring?
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    No the fire box. The one at the bottom of the egg. I did steak last night at 650 and there wasn't a piece of royal oak in there bigger than a fifty cent coin. Took fifteen minutes to get to 650 and half of that lump had been used before. I'm not sure why people have problems getting to temp its hasn't been an issue for me. I do 10 hr butts with no more than a fire box full. And still have a lot left.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • billt01
    Options
    Tonight I am going to do some grilled chicken...I would be a 5ver on it that some of the holes in the fire grate are obstructed...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've never had an issue with fire grate holes getting obstructed...I use Rockwood. I poor straight from bag, when relighting...just stir a little with ash tool and poor in more if needed. 

As far as lump level, I fill er up into the top fire ring for L&S or turbo butts....Just use whatever is there and pile it toward the rear for Steaks and pizza.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Remove grate, replace with KAB. Make sure air holes are clean, add lump. Light. 
    Good talk.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    ^^^^^ What @YukonRon said...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Is the bottom full is ash?  There can be ash behind the firebox as well.  Before the yardbird tonight, pull the grate rack, the ring, the iron fire grate, then the firebox out.  Look around the back to see how much ash is built up back behind the box.  If there's a lot of ash back there, that is limiting your airflow.

Also, what were your lower draft door and daisy wheel settings?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    All of our Eggs will struggle to get hot if the holes in the firebox are plugged. Before each use it put on gloves and stir up the fuel...trying to get as much ash and really small fines out...and before anyone says I need a KAB...I DONT!!!!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    All of our Eggs will struggle to get hot if the holes in the firebox are plugged. Before each use it put on gloves and stir up the fuel...trying to get as much ash and really small fines out...and before anyone says I need a KAB...I DONT!!!!

no you don't, but then you want have to put your gloves on and get all the fines and smalls out and worry about plugged holes
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I fill mine up really full every cook.  At least to the fire ring.  For low and slows I fill it to the top of the fire ring.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have to stop coming on here. 

Kick Ash - Order Confirmation #6452 (for both eggs)

Model KAB-LG

$59.99

$119.98

Cart Total:
    Shipping:
    Tax:

$119.98
    $18.70
    $0.00

Order Total:

$138.68

Damnit.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As with most things BGE, there are several approaches that will assist you in getting the result you want.  The overriding deal with me regarding lump quantity in the BGE is " never run out" for the worst case duration of the planned cook.  Clearly, remaining lump up above the fire box holes will get you thru quick hot and fast cooks but not a low and slow.  When in doubt load it up as above, to the top of the fire ring and fire away.  Just make sure you ensure good air-flow (watch the ash build-up) while using the lump "left-overs" for ensuing cooks.  It doesn't go to waste.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.