Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Butt Blast: Documenting the Atrocities

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Still at the Biltmore, will post when we get back home, I promise!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I'm in a horrible area for Internet at this time but I want to thank everyone for coming and thanks to all that donated items, thanks to all cooks and their families for making this a huge success! I got to meet a lot of people I've admired for years on this forum. And special thanks to Dwayne for the whole hog and Scott for all you did...you are a helluva a cook!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Don't forget bourbon slushies!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    piney said:
    YukonRon said:
    I promise Piney!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    piney said:
    YukonRon said:
    I promise Piney!
    Ron, chart topping walk away drop the mic slushies brother.  With bourbon. Thanks for those!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Did anyone mention the best darn pecan pie I've ever had. HOLY cow. That was amazing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    You guys keep hyping this butt fest like you have (translated: must have been a helluva event with incredible food and adult beverages at a beautiful site) and for 2017 you better start looking for a hundredfold increase in attendees! And this wasn't even a BGE sponsored event - right? Bet next year it could be, unless you don't want it to be restricted in any way. Just sayin...
    Ron, I think for the most part, we'd like to keep corporate out of it.  There is a nicer venue on the same property.  At only $60 for this shelter, it was a bargain.  The other venue is pricey, but a lot nicer.  
    Truer words could not have been spoken! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You make it to King Daddy's yet?

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim can't believe, or maybe remember if, no one mentioned that apple cake. Good stuff!
    KayNOcook said Oh That's Nice, it's her recipe! Always a big hit at eggfests

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I didn't get any of the potato salad from my new best friend's wife.  I didn't get any banana pudding from my other little buddy.  I missed out on a lot of stuff.  I was really wanting a piece of pee-can pie too, but missed out.

We can make that right next time we meet brother!  SWMBO's bacon potato salad is next level, and her pecan pies are too, cuz they are.
    Oh no we missed the tater salad!!!!! If the tater salad is only half as good as the pee-can pie it's a winner. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Ron, If you are still in Asheville....go hit 12 Bones for lunch. It is in the Arts District. Get the ribs with the Chipotle Blueberry BBQ Sauce. You will fine much joy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options

NCSmoky said:
    YukonRon said:

Great meeting you. Had a blast.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    Sweet and spicy pineapple gems

These were phenomenal, as was everything else Jason made today.  Great work!
    I vote we start calling @theyolksonyou the "Magic Man of the Egg".  Do I hear a second?
    Mattman....not sure if you got a second on that.....but was thinking maybe a more appropriate name might be "speedy"
    @northGAcock
    Anybody find any of the brain cells I lost after letting Robin make me an adult beverage? After the one he made me, if youns was to take my brain and put it in a bird, it would have flown upside down and backwards, and crashed real bad.
    just sayin'.
    Great to meet you dude!
    Says the guy who made the whiskey slushies...

That really puts the whole event into perspective 
    The proper perspective brother!

I'm not arguing that.  I think I'm more envious about NCBB than I am about brisket camp.  And that's saying something.  I especially hate those of you who have been to both.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options

NCSmoky said:
    YukonRon said:

Great meeting you. Had a blast.
    Likewise. Your Bloody Mary got my Saturday morning off to a great start.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @yukonron - Curate in Asheville is a tremendously good restaurant.  As good or better than tapas I've had in much larger cities.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I'm not arguing that.  I think I'm more envious about NCBB than I am about brisket camp.  And that's saying something.  I especially hate those of you who have been to both.
    Wow, now that's a statement!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Ron, If you are still in Asheville....go hit 12 Bones for lunch. It is in the Arts District. Get the ribs with the Chipotle Blueberry BBQ Sauce. You will fine much joy. 
    +1

Also give Tupelo honey a try for breakfast or lunch. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    YukonRon said:
    +1

Right with you on that one. The honey on the biscuits are outstanding....and that before you even get to the good stuff. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I'm loving all this Asheville info!  The wife and I are headed out there at the end of May.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    I may have inadvertently hit the off topic button, on someone's post on page 9, due to my wonderful phone bouncing all over the page as pictures load. If so I apologize. Looks like everyone had a great time. Wish I could have made it. Maybe next year.
  • YukonRon
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For us, we had a birthday to celebrate, and I pretty much left the "to do" list up to the princess. She chose to dine and explore the gardens at the Biltmore. The resort was wonderful and offered many options for us to participate in doing.
    We stayed at the Inn, after not being able to secure one of the residences here, they were booked and stayed booked.
    The food was spectacular, the wine list was extremely fine, exhibiting selections of California's finest and others from the world. Prices were jacked, but extremely reasonable, as we found a Northern Tuscany Sangiovese, 2009 at a tremendous bargain.
    We spent the days exploring, the evenings with long protracted dinners on the terrace of the Library Bar, watching the sun throw beautiful light on the mountains. Mt Pisgah looked awesome with the hues thrown her way.
    We are heading out, back to Louisville today. This has been the best road trip I have ever made.
    Meeting friends I had come to know through electronic media, was the best.
    The frolic and food was secondary.
    Thank you all for the wonderful insight and hospitality.
    This event will never be forgotten.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options

Apple cake was amazing!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I'm loving all this Asheville info!  The wife and I are headed out there at the end of May.
    John, I had my first taste of Pork Collar at a restaurant called Rhubarb downtown. I also found a little Italian family restaurant (Vinnie's Neighborhood Italian) just north of the city. We had an outstanding meal there. Just up the street is the Asheville Brewing company. If you are a fan of IPA's....there Shiva is my absolute favorite. Much to eat and drink there in Asheville. Hope you and your wife have a great time. My wife is an artist and I am a beer drinker. A great city for us both to visit and enjoy. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    YukonRon said:
    +1

Right with you on that one. The honey on the biscuits are outstanding....and that before you even get to the good stuff. 
    I agree with both of those and Asheville also has the very best casual Mexican restaurant in the state. Papas and Beer (5 or 6 locations). Their table side guac and their margaritas are dynamite. So are the fajitas. I make a point of eating there every time I'm in town. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looked like a great party, if I knew there was going to be potato salad I would have been there...sorry I missed this!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    That looked like a great party, if I knew there was going to be potato salad I would have been there...sorry I missed this!
    Lol!  To heck with the gold brisky and whole hog, but the tater salad!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Bacon-potato salad ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Matt.....he is a Gamecock so you have to overlook us sometimes.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    You silly cocks!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina  A sunset dinner on the porch at the Grove Park Inn is always a good call