Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Controls

Options
BOBF
BOBF Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I have finally got to the point I want to consider a temperature sensor other than the BGE thermometer. I have been satisfied with my ability to control temps with the daisy wheel but would like to spend less time checking the egg. My first question is: "How much of an effect on the gasket seal do the wire leads have?" It seems like we spend a lot of time sealing up the unit and off hand I would think the wires would allow air leakage. Is it just not material? Appreciate the help. I am sure this has been covered several times, but I could not find an easy link in the archives. I try to do a search before I bother everyone with a redundant matter.

Comments

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    BOBF,
    I think you'll find the wires are small enough and the lid is heavy enough that the just sink into the felt of the gasket. I don't notice any leaking around the wires in mu egg. I use the Guru Competitor and it works amazingly well. [p]Brian

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    BrianP,[p]Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    BrianP, I agree, the lid and gasket seal pretty good aroung the leads. That said, I don't thing a little air leakage is gonna hurt any. You're letting air in anyway for the cook, so if there is a leak it could mean just a little adjustment on your daisy wheel or the lower vent. But I feel the seal around the leads from the lid weight and gasket will minimize it to the extent you won't have to make an adjustment.[p]Hope this helps.