Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Butt Blast: Documenting the Atrocities

Options

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    FWIW, here's the gyro recipe that I used this weekend. I cut the garlic in half for the sauce and added feta, onion, and tomato to the final product. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe.html
    Those were awesome!  The meat was SO flavorful and the tzatziki complimented it well.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Pineapple recipe--I saw the recipe--thanks.  It indicated dried pineapple--can you use fresh pineapple and get just a good a result?  I would like to be able to cut a little larger pieces length wise--like ABT length.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @smokintiger81 never tried it with fresh. I think the dried gets all chewy as it starts to melt. Give it a go and let us know! I'd be interested. As @hotch said, the idea came from @EggObsessed from n GA fest last year. I just changed the glaze.  Maybe Kelly will see this and chime in. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I tried some fresh pineapple wrapped bacon, and the texture was weird.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First let me express my appreciation for the event planners @tarheelmatt
    @JohnInCarolina & @piney. What a marvelous job you folks did with organizing this event. The food you produced yourselves....was off the charts.

Secondly, I would like to thank the many folks who traveled great distances to make this an extraordinary day(s) for many of us. This food included cooks by many others including @Thatgrimguy @nolaegghead @Eggcelsior @theyolksonyou @Jupiter Jim and his beautiful blond wife, @DMWand I regret that i missed the forum name of the gentleman and his daughter who was cooking on the right end of the shelter. I know that I may have missed a few others that were involved.....and I do apologize for any oversight. 

Posting a few pictures from the lens of my wife's camera. The 2016 Butt  Blast Kick off highlight (for my wife) was Matt's tacos. Therefore, it gets top billing here.

A couple of site shots.

This little piggie (actually nice size) was cooked by Dwayne and others....went on the grill Friday night. What a beauty....and was it ever good (except for that vinegar sauce they use up there in NC). I had some and it was outstanding by the way.

Matt's Tacos were both a thing of beauty and awesome eats.
    Dwayne and Dylan killing it (not really) picking the pig of some delicious morsels of pork that was about to be bestowed upon us all. 

I believe these were Jethro's oysters. They had to be eaten.

Jason and his family on the left....with Mike holding down the Blackstone.
    I will put some more pictures up later today.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks like fun!!!  So disappointed I couldn't make it.  @Jupiter Jim, so glad y'all like the jalamango lime wings!  :)
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Pineapple--OK, thanks for comments and thoughts from all.  I will just have to try it with fresh at some point and report back here.  Maybe I will start with a firm whole pineapple off the shelf and see how it goes since it is cooking for a good little bit between bacon and glaze steps.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks like fun!!!  So disappointed I couldn't make it.  @Jupiter Jim, so glad y'all like the jalamango lime wings!  :)
    They were friggin delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Couple pics of the buffet. 

An absolute thing of beauty. @Thatgrimguy  thanks for all the eats....but that brisket was off the charts. Your generosity and commitment to travel was to the Carolina's is greatly appreciated. It was great to see the Shirley up close and in person.

Nola working his magic on the mud bugs. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Jim (with the assistance of his hot blond wife) calling out numbers for the swag. Thinking he may have some auctioneer experience in his past.

The answer my friend.....is blowing in the wind.....the answer is blowing in the wind. 
    @RRog17  Reed....what a beautiful family.

Well this was me having a d@mn good time.

• northGAcock
    Options
    pflug said:
    pflug said:

Dude....I love it.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @northGAcock glad you got a shot of Scott, the musician. I can hear and watch him play for hours.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    Options
    This is Brent's hot blond wife.....and of course Matt steps in and photobombs the picture. Those two (shaking my head).

Matt kickin Ash with his cooks swag. This is much more like it Matt. 

Piney (far right) doing some of his best event over-sighting while his wife (not pictured) is running around working.

Brent (and his hot blond wife) showing off his cooks swag....while Dylan shows why the Baltimore O's got no game.

Well....I think the picture speaks for itself. 

Back where the real work is taking place.....

• northGAcock
    Options
    I can assure you.....this group was up to no good. 

...and these folks are up to good.....cooling it in the shade.

It's quittin time

You know....that thing was right heavy at the end of the dayThe Blackstone was much easier.....though let me tell you it flat put out some great food.

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @smokintiger81, @tarheelmatt:  We use dried pineapple for the pineapple gems.  Tarheelmatt is right.  The fresh pineapple gets wierd, and the acid in it breaks down the bacon if you prep the night before.  The dried pineapple has a wonderful concentrated pineapple flavor, and almost turns into "candy".
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fresh pineapple has bromelain, a meat tenderizer, in it.
    Options
    @northGAcock, there is no amount of compliments you can pay my wife that will get me to take Maddie.
    Nice pictures though ;)
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I am glad I featured in at least one pic doing something constructive other than drinking all day..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    pflug said:
    Awesome!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have a pork chop marinating in that Gamms Marinade. I'll post a thread later

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Reed"s beautiful blond wife and son.

The official Slicing of the Brisket. 

...while John Mitchell is having another sip of his ice tea.....Ron feeds us a bunch of his intellectual knowledge (knowing full well he can get away with it at this point.....as his Bourbon Slush stash is about depleted). Not to worry.... No one is really buying it at this point in the day. If you look close the other John is calling BS on Ron's rhetoric. 

Post event and back at the campsite...the crew was worn out. 
    Oh the brisket, I almost forgot.....I can't tell you how good that was. I could have eaten the entire thing myself. As each piece was sliced...you could see the juices running out of it.

Just a thing of beauty. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Craig, thanks so much for creating that there recipe! it has been a hit for us and you too! See you and your beautiful bride next month right? J&K

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    Options
    The brisket was good fun. We stood there and ate the whole thing as we talked about how full we all were. Not a scrap left of that brisket though.
    Best I've ever had Scott!  Incredible.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The brisket was good fun. We stood there and ate the whole thing as we talked about how full we all were. Not a scrap left of that brisket though.

Please tell me how to smoke a brisket like that! PLEASE

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim can't believe, or maybe remember if, no one mentioned that apple cake. Good stuff!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim can't believe, or maybe remember if, no one mentioned that apple cake. Good stuff!
    I second that....

• bgebrent
    Options
    It was delicious!