Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way tell when corn is cooked?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I love cooking corn on the cob on the Egg, I usually spritz EVOO and some seasoning and wrap in foil...but I never can tell when it is fine without trying to take one off and unwrapping the (very hot) foil. Any tricks to test doneness without unwrapping?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    5 minutes rotate 1/4 turn, 5 minutes rotate 1/4 turn, 5 minutes rotate 1/4 turn, five minutes it's done. This assumes 350 to 400 degrees dome.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Foil?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I just soak them in water and then put them on the grill still in the husk. Maybe 30 mins at 300 and rotating a few times.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    How easy is it to take husk off and all of the little strings when cooking with husk on? Seems to be tedious at precook....wondering if any easier post cook. Plus the time that it takes could cool them off - no?
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Foil?

Ditto

I just throw them on already cleaned directly on grill with a little oil to stick some seasoning with. A little char on them is the best part. As for when they are done, its when they got the color I want. Corn is a pretty forgiving item

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i foil mine also.  i just squeeze it and if it has a little give in it then its done
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Husk on here. When done (30 min), I cut off the "base" (1/4" from butt end), and then squeeze/pinch out the corn from husk from the top. removes all of the stringy hair, etc. only downside is you no longer have the "handle" at base of corn.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    How easy is it to take husk off and all of the little strings when cooking with husk on? Seems to be tedious at precook....wondering if any easier post cook. Plus the time that it takes could cool them off - no?
    its alot easier to remove once cooked. soaking is not needed either, just cook till the husk starts to turn color. if your eating outside just let the guests husk when done, they stay hot thru dinner if still in the husk
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I just put them husk and all on the egg and when the husk is all burnt and charred it's done. I also like husk and all in microwave 3 minutes per ear and cut off stem end after cooking (very hot use pot holders) and squeeze out the corn and like the u tube video the corn just come out with no silk at all.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I pull the husk back, clean, soak for 30 min in cold water, add butter and seasoning, then wrap them back up, cook raised direct or indirect till the bend test feels good. Slight bend to the cob and she is done. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Peeling the corn like normal, the corn silk comes off pretty easily. There's a couple of strings that like to stay on but it's not bad. The cob is still too hot to touch by the time you get all the silk off. Then you can butter and season the cob.

The other way to do it has been mentioned by people above. Cut the stem end off a couple kernels from the bottom and then squeeze the cob out the bottom end. The cob comes out clean. I keep wanting to just cut the husk around the bottom and squeeze but SWMBO is in a hurry to eat corn and takes over that job.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fresh corn is tender raw.  Doesn't take much to cook it.