Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's official!! I am now a BGE owner.

Options
After 5 years with my WSM, the time came where I wanted a BGE. I just wasn't ready or willing to shell out the $$$ for a new one. So I set my sights on researching what to look for in a used one.

Thanks to to this forum, I came across Bubba Tim's Green Book page. I even reached out and he was more than generous and gracious to share his knowledge. Armed with this knowledge I began searching and searching and finally found my egg.  

I was fortunate to come across what I figured was a great deal, A barely used LBGE with table. The original owner was an older gentleman who just didn't want it. He says he bought it two years ago, used it a couple of times, then didn't use it at all last year. So he figured he'd sell it. He posted on CL for $1000, I countered with $600 and he said $800. I thanked him for his time and chalked it up. 2 days later he emailed me to come get it for the $600. Even without the comfort of the warranty, I figured it was too good to pass up. I drove the two hours to close the deal and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It appeared almost brand new.  He could tell I was eggstatic (couldn't resist) and said was really happy to see it go to someone who could enjoy and really use it.  

I can't wait to take my maiden voyage.  

Here are some pics:

Inside the dome (gaskets look brand new)

Cast Iron fire grate shows a little rust..

The fire box is the newer model with the slit to allow for heat expansion I believe

Fire ring:

Still in shock...Can't wait to setup in my backyard. Any advice on cleaning/prepping for my first cook?

I think I'll sand, stain and seal the table.  Looks like he didn't always use the cover.  
St. Charles, IL - Large BGE - WSM - Weber Kettle

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Congrats and welcome.  Looks almost new, I'd say you did well.  

Go get yourself a pork butt and start playing.

Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Time for fun 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Welcome.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome & Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Nice...I stumbled across a pretty good deal a few days ago myself...you may want to see if the website will let your register the egg for the warranty....the person you bought the egg off of may not have ever registered it.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Congrats on the egg! Welcome
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • giftedorganist
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Nice...I stumbled across a pretty good deal a few days ago myself...you may want to see if the website will let your register the egg for the warranty....the person you bought the egg off of may not have ever registered it.
    I think I'll try this morning...should I just select Gift/my local dealer/ date of first use=current date?
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That's a sweet deal, worth more than you paid for it.

It's not going to get much cleaner than it is. That bottom grate with rust is really not a problem at all, at the temperatures that iron sees, a surface rust layer will actually prevent further rusting with frequent use. (It's dry down there, really dry.)

Once you sand down the table and paint/stain/seal whatever you do, clean up the exterior of the egg, put some oil on the chimney cap and maybe treat the handle with some tung oil or other varnish it will be a thing of beauty in the back yard.

Fill it with some good lump, light it up, and don't forget: It didn't happen without pictures.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Nice score! I also come from a WSM background. You'll love you're new ability to control the temp easily and accurately. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Nice score.
    Can't tell from the pics, but make sure you air-gap the BGE from the table even if sitting on a paver.  Too many fires caused by no air-gap over time and a wooden table.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Welcome and you better put your seat belt on and hide your wallet! Great deal ya got on it and it's ready to cook no cleaning needed, load it up with lump and enjoy. Oh and in less than a month your going to saying why did I wait so long!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Welcome. Enjoy the insanity of the Egghead world !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great deal, and, it will be your last. Having a BGE is wallet genocide. You have been warned. 
    Seriously though, great purchase and most importantly, have fun!
    Welcome in Egger!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    billt01 said:
    I think I'll try this morning...should I just select Gift/my local dealer/ date of first use=current date?
    I was lucky enough to know where mine was purchased and put that in, and yes first day of use was yesterday...If I were you, I would select the gift option or maybe contact the guy to find out where he bought it....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eggingaround
    Options
    Welcome!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • giftedorganist
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Can't tell from the pics, but make sure you air-gap the BGE from the table even if sitting on a paver.  Too many fires caused by no air-gap over time and a wooden table.  FWIW-
    I do have a paver, don't have the green feet to air gap it. I'll have to look for some. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I do have a paver, don't have the green feet to air gap it. I'll have to look for some. 
    You might want to grab a table nest. Green feet are expensive since they don't make them anymore and have to buy 2nd hand. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited April 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Great deal, and, it will be your last. Having a BGE is wallet genocide. You have been warned. 
    Seriously though, great purchase and most importantly, have fun!
    Welcome in Egger!
    Hey Ron Motor Homes are cheaper! :) Only if it doesn't have a Big Green Egg in a hatch somewhere!!!!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Welcome and nice score. Get that thing dirty.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You got a screaming deal there!  Welcome!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!  Welcome.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Good buy. Welcome

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Welcome to the "cult".
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Welcome. Trust me when I say that you will far exceed the $200 in savings on egg stuff. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• giftedorganist
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Welcome. Trust me when I say that you will far exceed the $200 in savings on egg stuff. 
    I already purchased the AR R+B Oval Combo w/ extra grate...$281
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    I already purchased the AR R+B Oval Combo w/ extra grate...$281

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    welcome to all things egg.   And you got a ssssmokin' deal!