Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loof lighter died....

Options
what do you fine folks use to fire up the egg?

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Mapp gas attached to a Bernzomatic TS4000
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've tried fire starters, veg oil and napkin, electric starter, mapp torch, and finally the weed torch. Hands down the weed torch wins every time. I light everything from the mini to the XL. I hate lighting an egg any other way. Quick and easy. You can get to 350 degrees in just a few minutes
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Easiest simplest fastest cheapest:

light (light!) drizzle of oil on a papper napkin or towel. Twist into a tight bowtie or spindle. Light both ends. Bury in some lump. Set vents and walk away

obe for low and slows. Two for higher temp cooks
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Perhaps ignorance is bliss in my case, but I just don't see the need for anything more than vegetable oil and twisted paper towel(s).
    Stillwater, MN
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    So did mine. Switched to MAP torch, but be sure to get the one with the really long neck
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use a BernzOMatic JT850 Lawn and Garden Torch.  Lights the egg nicely and is fun to use to burn up weeds between pavers.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
     Looftlighter, just get a new one.  (how long did the old one last?)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My Looflighter stopped working, turned out to be the plug at the end of the cord.  I replaced it and it worked again...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Tony_T said:
     Looftlighter, just get a new one.  (how long did the old one last?)

My first one lasted about a year and a half, didn't think to check the three pronged plug on that one.  Have had this one about two years...  I am not against the other methods, this one just works and I am used to it...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Take it apart, may be there's a fuse that's not too hard to replace?  
    canuckland
  • chrisdiaz73
    Options
    Mine died this weekend too and I was at a loss!  Couldn't remember how to light my grill without it!!!  Turns out had to use the old chimney!  Worked fine but delayed my grill start by a bit!
  • Tony_T
    Options
    Since I got a Looftlighter, I don't think twice to fire up the Egg to grill just one burger just for myself.  (Before, I used to use the square firestarters, and it just took too long to get a fire going for just one burger). 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    $20 heat gun from harbo freight
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I have a looflighter and seldom use it. Seems to spark too much. I have used twisted/oiled paper towels but keep going back to the electric starter. Plug it in and come back in 20 to hot coals. What am I doing wrong here?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Weedburner...unless we are really dry...have tried the oil soaked paper towels...about as slow going as using starter blocks. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I've tried fire starters, veg oil and napkin, electric starter, mapp torch, and finally the weed torch. Hands down the weed torch wins every time. I light everything from the mini to the XL. I hate lighting an egg any other way. Quick and easy. You can get to 350 degrees in just a few minutes

Man, I am so uncool.  I have a 500, 000 btu Red Dragon, and 3 mapp torches, and I still use a chimney starter.  I'm gonna give the Red Dragon another go and try and be one of the cool kids.

Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Mostly this....

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I also have the big weed torch from harbor freight but the bernzomatic is smaller and easier.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was withon minutes of buying a looftlighter when i saw this post the other day. I biught a mapp pro torch and it works well but I'm not sure how long a tank will last.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Chimney, charcoal, and the political section from the newspaper.   Works without fail. I think the hot air from political section has something to do with it.....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    matoch said:
    I was withon minutes of buying a looftlighter when i saw this post the other day. I biught a mapp pro torch and it works well but I'm not sure how long a tank will last.
    A LOOOONG time. I am on my second tank in a year and half. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Still a big fan of rubbing alcohol and a match. 
    Quick, easy, no chemical smell or taste.   Great! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    matoch said:
    A LOOOONG time. I am on my second tank in a year and half. 
    Thats good to know. I biught a second tank just in case. I thiught it sounded different the last time I used it and it made me wonder if i had used the majority of it. 
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • tonkaegger
    Options
    I'll be brief: Weed burner.
    (Red Dragon)  It's so fast from unlit to cooking.
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Ditto on the Mapp gas attached to a Bernzomatic TS4000 - my tank has lasted almost a year with 2-3 times a week usage
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    It can be challenging to light fires during windy, or damp, or humid conditions with the Rutland starters and/or bacon grease soaked towels.  They work 95 percent of the time.  It's that 5 percent, walking out to a cold egg after a supposed startup, then babysitting, that ticks me off.  For this reason, a Harbor Freight Weedburner will be in the toybox soon.  Have used them with other eggas, they are nice.  And I'll use it to burn weeds, of course.  Roundup is getting ridiculous every year.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Mostly this....

Is Map a safe option? I used to use one of those cane shaped propane weed burners until one day the flame disappeared from the mouth of the burner, traveled up the tube, and emerged at the connection between the weed burner and the propane bottle. I turned off the bottle and nothing happened but it scared the crap out of me. Since then I have been using the olive oil and paper towel option. However, I would like to return to the 5 minute starts.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    oil soaked paper towel & benzo for about 1 second to get it going. penny per light if that.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tony_T
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Mostly this..
    Since then I have been using the olive oil and paper towel option. However, I would like to return to the 5 minute starts.

Looftlighter