Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare cleaning observations - if you are so inclined

Options
2»

Comments

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    ive had it for a few years and only cleaned it maybe 3 times. it soaks for a few days then its goes through the dishwasher, comes out nice and clean

HFX NS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Yours cleaned up nice Ron. 

It would be nice if they made it in black.  It would look cool, and not show the crud as much. 

No matter what though,  I've drunk the coolaid, and there will never be another daisy wheel in my future.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    blasting said:

It would be nice if they made it in black.  It would look cool, and not show the crud as much. 

No matter what though,  I've drunk the coolaid, and there will never be another daisy wheel in my future.

LOL - actually I have a brand spanking new Gen 2 SmokeWare in reserve, but being who I am I wasn't about to give up on this unit. I don't know if you ever heard of the film called "You are where you were when" but that describes me to the T. Let me see if I can find a link.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:

LOL - actually I have a brand spanking new Gen 2 SmokeWare in reserve, but being who I am I wasn't about to give up on this unit. I don't know if you ever heard of the film called "What you are is where you were when" but that describes me to the T. Let me see if I can find a link.
    Oooops, that sucker isn't free any more! Never mind...
    http://www.enterprisemedia.com/product/00125/what-you-are-is-where-you-were-when-again/
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    When doing a clean burn, just stick the cap on the grate.  THAT'LL do it.
  • Egg_Specter
    Options
    How about soaking it a day in coca-cola? (not a joke :-))
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    We don't waste good coke here in GA!!!!!  Now pepsi, I'll use that to drown moles!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    Options
    How about soaking it a day in coca-cola? (not a joke :-))
    Maybe, but i'm not sure I believe all those Coca-Cola myths. For instance the one about it eating your teeth. Back in February I had a gold crowned molar extracted and they sent it home with me. For kicks and giggles I decided to salvage the gold - they said there was $50 worth in that cap. Well that yanked tooth has been soaking in a vial of Coca-Cola for over 2 months now and it looks no different than when it went in. I've even changed the Coke 3 times now. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Sprayed the oven cleaner on the smokeware cap and tied it up in a kroger bag for a couple days....clean as a whistle. Just a couple little spots that didn't come off with rinsing with water hose.

Also sprayed the outside of the egg and left it till the next day...again everything rinsed clean with the water hose and a sponge.

It works !!

It was a caked on baked on mess to begin with too !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Doesn't Rutland make a line of products specifically to remove creosote build up from fireplaces?
    I used their glass cleaner on my insert, worked like magic.

Check with your other division @RRP

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• RRP
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Doesn't Rutland make a line of products specifically to remove creosote build up from fireplaces?
    I used their glass cleaner on my insert, worked like magic.

Check with your other division @RRP

LOL - yes they do - the item # is 97L and is called  Liquid Creosote Remover - Professional Strength UPC No. 01297-9 and retails for about $17. It's made for cleaning brick and mortar plus fireplace glass. While I have used it on the exterior of my eggs I find the caustic Easy Off quicker and requires less elbow grease!
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I used a S.O.S Brillo soap pad this past weekend and it worked great
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Watching that video was like watching a Shamwow commercial after midnight.  Besides the fact that he should have had gloves on and used the spray outside, the baked on grime doesn't miraculously wipe off like the video shows.  It comes clean, but not with a simple wipe under running water.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    I used a S.O.S Brillo soap pad this past weekend and it worked great
    Glad it worked this time for you, but normally it is not a good policy to use a ferrous product on stainless steel. At least what folks with metallurgical training have often warned us. Reason is in time your SmokeWare cap will develop minute scratches just from normal wear and the iron particles will be left in the scratches and will rust damaging your "stainless". HTH
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Watching that video was like watching a Shamwow commercial after midnight.  Besides the fact that he should have had gloves on and used the spray outside, the baked on grime doesn't miraculously wipe off like the video shows.  It comes clean, but not with a simple wipe under running water.
    I agree, thought it was pretty funny after reading all of the posts.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • blasting
    edited June 2016
    Options

Found out Electrolysis works wonders on the Smokeware cap.  I tossed my completely seized up cap in with some of the cast iron this morning.  I pulled out the SW after 10 hours and washed it off.  

It looks like a brand new cap, not a trace of any grime, even in the tight areas.  Best part - zero scrubbing. 

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

Electrolysis is the way to go for the smokeware I found out today.  I just tossed my seized up cap with some of the cast iron this morning.  I pulled out the SW after 10 hours and washed it off.  

It looks like a brand new cap, not a trace of any grime, even in the corners.  Best part - zero scrubbing. 

For those of us who don't know how to do what you said would you please enlighten us? Thank you. I know just enough to know that method could be dangerous then please add the precautionary steps or pointers...OK?
  • blasting
    Options

Sure Ron.  I'm a complete newbie to electrolysis, so here is a link with pictorial that explains the process.  It is really simple, and cheap.  A manual battery charger, cables, bucket, and a couple pieces of scrap steel is all you need.

I did read somewhere that electrolysis on Stainless Steel can produce harmful fumes, so it's probably best to avoid doing stainless in the garage.

So far I am pleased with the results on CI, although it's not nearly as quick as the stainless.  I'm incredibly pleased with the results on the Smokeware, which is why I posted on your thread.

http://curtcorwin.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-clean-cast-iron-cookware-with.html

Phoenix 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Old thread, but I'm wondering why anyone cares about the cleaning of the inside?  Who cares if it has a bunch of gunk on it?  I've kind of scraped off the superficial powdery creosote stuff off here and there, but that's just because I don't want any of it dropping on my food.

The only part I see necessary for cleaning is the metal where it slides.  I've had mine for about 4 years (maybe more) now and I just now got to the point where I was having trouble adjusting the vent because it sticks.  I just used dish soap and a scrubber sponge and got plenty enough off to make it slide easily again.  Will need something more thorough in a few more years because I didn't get it all off.  Will probably do the easy off in a bag for a few days trick.

Bottom line for me is that as long as the air flow is the same and I can turn it easily, I'm good.  It's a functional item only for me.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited May 2019
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Buy a new one? 
    Why buy a new one when you can spend $100 on toxic cleaning chemicals instead?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Interesting this thread reappearing today.....   I decided to clean my Gen1 Smokeware cap today ...  Easy Off Heavy duty and a steel scraper ... Mechanism works freely and the chunks of stuff in the middle of the top have been delaminated and disposed of in a proper country fashion!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM