Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs - how long to cook these?

Options
Hey guys..

Trying beef short ribs for the first time ever..

I've done a bunch of reading but haven't quite figured out how long these will take to cook, temp to cook at (225?  250?  280?) or even what kind of short ribs these are..

I did a dry brine on them last night..1/2 tsp kosher salt on each slab.

The meat part is about 1''..maybe a little less.  Each one is a little over 3/4 lb.  The bone feels like it runs the entire "slab" l-r and top-bottom..I'm sure it separates somewhere, but feels like one big slab.

Any suggestions on time to cook and cooking temp would be appreciated...planning to do these tonight on the Mini.

TIA..

- SB

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I cook mine indirect at about 280 degrees. They usually take about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Cook until they probe tender. You should be able to pierce the membrane between the ribs without too much resistance. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Believe those are plate ribs. Regardless @sciaggie hit the nail on the head. Plan on 6 hours and adjust accordingly. They are done when they are done. You want to cook them enough or the membrane tough
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    See above for @SciAggie post on rib ID. In general, the plate short ribs are more tender than the chuck, and may not need as long of a cook to be tender. I've had plate ribs done as quick as 4 hrs, but chuck, rarely less than 5.5. Dome 250.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Toothpick test for the finish.  And a true banquet awaits-brisket on a stick.  Beat their pork cousins every time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks guys..I have a Maverick probe in them and will watch the temp until it gets up in the 190s..then Thermopen them to 205 since I trust the Thermopen more than my Mav which seems off by about 5 degrees..(at 77 already..jumped from 45 fridge temp to 77 REALLY quick..)

Got em on later than planned so hopefully not eating at 9 - 10 tonite!

Appreciate the help..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Holy cow..only about an hour on @ 250 dome and they are up to 155..yikes.  Sure hope they plateau or they're gonna be lunch and not dinner.
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    BTW I'm doing these indirect..maybe cuz it's the Mini they're cranking a LOT faster.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Don't worry about the fast temp change. My did the same last week then stalled in the 170s for hours. Make sure the probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, too
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SmokyBear
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here they are mid 170s..looking and tasting fabulous!

BTW, what the heck type of beef rib ARE these things with the one big giant flat bone?  They're still a pretty good hunk of meat.  I fit 2 of them on the Mini but there wasn't a ton of room to spare (get it?  "Spare"?  Rib humor.. :) )

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looks like beef plate short ribs according to this.

http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/123a-beef-plate-short-ribs-trimmed/

Oh, and nicely done!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Started yesterday and pulled them off last night when I got tired. Fired the egg up this morning and put them back on till super tender. Pulled and wrapped in a foil pan till dinner... Awesome
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    @hapster - NICE!  Hope mine turn out as well..still trying to figure out why I only have one honkin bone vs several..what the heck ARE these things?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Looks like single cut chuck short ribs.  I see them all the time at the local Kroger but I ask at the meat counter and get the uncut/not trimmed four bone rack.  Regardless, great eats await.  Toothpick test for the win.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.