Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rocks in lump charcoal

Options
Not sure what brand had it but a large rock was in my bbq and seemed to cause the lower grate to split in half.
Wish I knew to inspect the lump throughly before using. 

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Rocks happen... Not sure that's the reason your fire grate cracked though. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Inspecting lump for rocks is difficult and messy.  I recently found this 1 pound 3.2 ounce black diamond in a bag.  Did not notice that it was rock at first sight. It sounded different when it hit the pile of lump. To ensure rocks like this don't make it into your egg, you would need to inspect every piece of lump. Not something I would bother with.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,362
    Options
    Dude ^^^^ thats a meteor   :o
    Jacksonville FL
  • Calibbq
    Calibbq Posts: 12
    Options
    XC242 said:
    not sure how the grate would crack in two then  only thing i could think of prob less than 30 hrs on egg before it broke in half?  good news is i still can use it it just is a two piece now  lol
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Check with your dealer, the fire grate is replaced on warranty:

3. METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, dual function metal top, cooking grid, fire grate and draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Warranty to the original purchaser.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Calibbq said:
    XC242 said:
    not sure how the grate would crack in two then  only thing i could think of prob less than 30 hrs on egg before it broke in half?  good news is i still can use it it just is a two piece now  lol
    I know it sounds weird but it's surprising how many times folks with almost brand new eggs have had something crack, including both the ceramics and metal parts. BGE has a heck of a good warranty so I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out why it happened. Just get a replacement so you'll have a spare if you continue to use the old one and EGG ON!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    @Dobie that looks like a "Boeing Bomb" than a meteor. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    On the bright side, a rock will not ruin the cook like plastic or some other garbage that makes its way into the bag - Glad I caught this used mask before firing up the egg......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    What @Skiddymarker said.  An occasional rock isn't much of an issue.  I've found fiberglass and other crap in brands of charcoal I no longer purchase.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yet another thread about crap in lump? The only thing I ever recall finding is an occasional uncarbonized piece of wood. I never actually look for foreign objects, but if there were any rocks or chunks of metal, I can't believe I wouldn't eventually find them. It's not like they're gonna burn up.

I use Royal Oak, by the way. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Royal Oak and Cowboy here

i almost took a pic of the cowboy lunp the other day. Frigging logs. People always bragging about large lump. This was like one Twenty-pound piece. 

Bag weighed 25 pounds also

I find hairsplitting or proclamations of "never again" funny. Every lump will have an issue if perfection is the expectation

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Yet another thread about crap in lump? The only thing I ever recall finding is an occasional uncarbonized piece of wood. I never actually look for foreign objects, but if there were any rocks or chunks of metal, I can't believe I wouldn't eventually find them. It's not like they're gonna burn up.

I use Royal Oak, by the way. :rofl:
    Only been egging about a year, have found 20 or so rocks that now live in the backwoods behind the fence.

Ive found the most in BGE lump, which I have used the least. Find one here and there in Rockwood, Royal Oak, and Cowboy.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Yup ...t happens. Seriously doubt that is,what made your grate crack. Certain brands are more prone to junk.....just like some brands are prone to very large pieces. While back I opened a 40 bag bag of Lazzari to find 3 pieces in it. Next bag was nothing but salt shaker size stuff. Don't find much junk in it. I hand sift every bag I open...out of 15 or so bags have found 1 small rock...
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    What @Skiddymarker said.  An occasional rock isn't much of an issue.  I've found fiberglass and other crap in brands of charcoal I no longer purchase.  
    This is why I no longer use Royal Oak. Didn't mind the rocks...although you are paying for them....problem was the fiberglass matting I found in at least half the bags I purchased...
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    So far 100% of the bags I've used have had rocks in them. Of course I just happen to be on my first bag.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited April 2016
    Options

Breaking news just in to the Channel 2 Newsroom...Rocks found in lump charcoal!  Wait a minute...I'm told our Channel 2 Mobile News Unit found an eyewitness.  Here now is witness, Mike Litoris...

Flint, Michigan
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    It happens.  I find 1 in about every 3 or 4 bags of RW.  No biggie.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Ragtop99 said:
    This is why I no longer use Royal Oak. Didn't mind the rocks...although you are paying for them....problem was the fiberglass matting I found in at least half the bags I purchased...
    Yes, it was Royal Oak.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    dougcrann said:
    Ragtop99 said:
    Yes, it was Royal Oak.  
    For lump 90% of the time I use Royal Oak.

The only non charcoal thing I have found in the bags I've purchased over the past year was a 6"-ish piece of metal strapping like the stuff used for bundling stuff on pallets.

Don't recall the last time I've found a rock.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:

The only non charcoal thing I have found in the bags I've purchased over the past year was a 6"-ish piece of metal strapping like the stuff used for bundling stuff on pallets.
    That's used to hold all the bundles of wood together when they go in the kilns.  Often that metal will snap under the high heat, and you can usually pull it out in long strands.  But if it snaps in little pieces, it's tough to see.  Some manufacturers have huge magnets or electro-magnets, to grab these little pieces (and nails, barb wire, etc) on the bagging line......but depending on how much charcoal it's buried under, it still might not work.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I read on a previous post that rocks get absorbed into the tree as to grows so this doesn't really alarm me, I find them occasionally and leave them in there until I do a clean out, they got hot just like the lump, now if I had nothing but rocks I could see that as a problem but one or two in the pit aren't gonna hurt anything. 

Now I have found plastic twine on several occasions, that bothers me a lot more, luckily they stand out due to the color and I don't just dump in the grill, I grab the pieces out and then sift once I get to the crushed pieces at the bottom.

My current collection, not sure what that coffee bean/seed is in the middle.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Now I have found plastic twine on several occasions, that bothers me a lot more, luckily they stand out due to the color and I don't just dump in the grill, I grab the pieces out and then sift once I get to the crushed pieces at the bottom.
    That twine is in there definitely AFTER the kiln process which is curious.  Sometimes people find plastic strands in the imported stuff because it's shipped in "supersacks/totebags", then bagged in the US.  The charcoal is so rough, and/or the bags are so old & tattered, that it rips the plastic strands out.

Was that twine out of a domestic charcoal??
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @stlcharcoal yes for sure after the kiln process. The strands were found in the "Vision brand" made by best of the west sold at SAMs club, we don't have many choices in these parts and SAMs is a bargain so I deal with it.