Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble Spatchcock hicken on my XL BGE - 2nd time, no crisp & minimal flavor

So I did another go around with Spatchcocking a chicken.  This time it was about 4.5lb, used the Adjustable Rig high in dome direct, skin side up, at 375 w/ a handful of pecan.  I rubbed it all over the day before and left in fridge uncovered (as per the Whiz).  The cook only took about 35-40 minutes.  Took bird off, let rest for about 10-15 minutes.  The skin was not crispy and there was minimal flavor in the bird.  It was tender, a very minimal stringiness and juicy, but  missing that crust and flavor inside.  This was the second time w/ the Whiz method.  Any thoughts on:
1) really getting the flavor deep inside
2) getting that crispy skin? (I guess I could alway flip skin side down half way through)

Thanks!
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited April 2016
    I do mine about the same, but at 400*, for 45 minutes + or _ ,until thighs are 185*. On a LBGE with the CGS Adjustable Rig and Extender (puts the chicken higher in the dome). I almost always have crispy skin. I don't flip the bird, I think the fact that it is so high in the dome, close to the reflected heat, helps crisp the skin.

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Hmm... Yea, that's almost exactly what I did... wondering what happened.
    Northern Jersey
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I try to keep my chickens between 3 and 4 pounds.  I think they are more flavorful when they are smaller.  Also, my grandmother (born in 1902) used to buy her chickens from the butcher on the day they were slaughtered.  She used to tell me that she always waited a few days before cooking them- saying the very fresh chicken had less flavor.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    start the bird skin side down to get the skin rendering.  go as long as you feel comfortable without burning the skin.  then flip it over.  you can flip back skin side down close to the end to help crispness. 

With flavor, on the big birds you can work your fingers down the breast and into the leg.  do each side separately, starting at the breast thick end.   tip the bird up and add the rub, then work down into the dark meat.   I go heavy on rub, couple Tablespoons each side.

Best to have a grade A bird to do this as the bird has been inspected for no tears or missing skin.  You'll need to cut a small slit into the skin to start loosing it from the breast meat.  I also cut the excess fat off.  

hope this helps.   t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I don't know what you rubbed with the day before, but I let the chix dry in the fridge overnight and then prep from there and always get crispy skin.  I go skin up raised (quite high) direct.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    You can also mix cornstarch in with your rub. Also assume you monitored IT temp of bird? In other words, it was "done" right? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Thanks all.. Yea temp was monitored entire time, maybe 5+- degrees but that's about it.  Bought the bird at a local farm.
    Northern Jersey