Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confused please help

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting my large egg this week . And I love this site and all you guys. However I'm really confused about accesories. Large egg and table, Top vent , Temp gauge. After that How is the best indirct way this extend grate with a pan under or this rib rack my dealer says I need. Do I need and extra grate and these fire bricks you all talk about? I now have 2 gift certificates from well meaning fat friends who hope they will be the beneficiares of food. I dont want to dissapoint them. Thanks!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Uncle Dave,[p]Your dealer is right! Fire bricks are the best investment you make. Mine were $1.50 each and well worth it! if you want more toys for the egg, you will probably use them, but you can do it gradually.[p]Smokey
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Uncle Dave,[p]Get the V rack and the fire bricks. My local Egg dealer is a masonry supply store and he only charges .85 cents each for the half bricks. An additional 18 inch grill to sit on top of the bricks can be found at the local Weber store for just a few dollars. The single most important toll (toy) you need for your Egg is a polder remote thermometer to keep from having to open Mr. Egg to take a temp of what you are cooking. Up here the Target store had some of the Timex remotes (they are all made in China and by the same company I'll bet) and it was only 19.95. a real good deal! I bought two to "just keep around".
    Othe than that I'm not so sure that the daisy wheel is as necessary as we all think. Cat, that Noo Yok Girl, cooks with out it and I been doing the same thing since I watched her at Eggfest 2000. It certainally doesn't hurt to have on though when you start a smoke and you are building the heat on a cook.
    You'll get more suggestions before the day is out from some folks that know a heck of a lot more than me so, good luck and Happy Holidays
    Carey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Uncle Dave,[p]For the near term you don't need every accessory but your life will be so much easier with the basic ones listed below. Many folks do things differently and so some accessories may not be as valuable to you as others. Here is my list and reasons:[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Slide Daisy Top</FONT></FONT> -- makes temp adjustments easier, more efficient lump consumption, prevents runaway temps[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Polder remote probe thermometer</FONT></FONT> this will be the best investment you can make after getting the Egg[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Dome Thermometer</FONT></FONT> just have to have this- everything is based on dome temps[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Ash removal tool</FONT></FONT>[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">V Rack</FONT></FONT> you will use this for turkey to roasts[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Webber Firecubes</FONT></FONT> These are great for firestarting[p][p]Next comes more optional accessories:
    Drip Pans (aluminium) that you V Rack can fit in
    Firebricks
    Pizza Stone
    2nd grid (Webber with handles)
    Lodge cast iron trivett to replace stock ceramic grate
    More Thermometers (an instant read is handy to have)
    Pizza peel[p]Hope this helps you decide. Please visit the website for more ideas and pictures of all the above things. Look under the link that says - accessories. [p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE page[/ul]
  • Tim M,
    Thanks Tim have a merry Christmas. There is so much snow here I'm going to have to shovel my around the house to get my egg and table to the porch. Uncle dave

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    snowegg2.jpg
    <p />Uncle Dave,[p]The Egg cooks great in the cold. It is so well insulated it really doesn't change anything if its 10 deg outside or 90.[p]Tim