Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can quality lump be THAT different?

Options

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

TN2TX said:
    @Chubbs where are you getting fogo at that price? It's currently listed in Amazon for $35 for 18 lb bag. 

Goto Fogo directly!!!!  They were doing free shipping for a while!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Theophan

"are you Orthodox?" I am not. I read a lot, and while in the service, I read volumes on theology and the important leaders of all faiths. I suppose it was an attempt to reconcile my mind with what I experienced.
    I do know this, based on my study, he was an extremely profound with his faith, and his manner with helping others, was admirable. I think it is a great name selection to choose for the Orthodox Christian. Congratulations on your chosen path.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Who makes Kamado Joe lump?
    Kamdo Joe lump is imported from Argentina. Some is bagged in Argentina. Their restaurant grade  they bag themselves in a a facility they built in Georgia.

They have containers of lump shipped from Argentina to Georgia and by bagging that themselves they have a bit more quality control over what is in each bag. I've not used any of their restaurant grade but folks I know that have used it love it. It's also a great deal if you buy it at a KJ Costco Roadshow.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

TN2TX said:
    @Chubbs where are you getting fogo at that price? It's currently listed in Amazon for $35 for 18 lb bag. 

Goto Fogo directly!!!!  They were doing free shipping for a while!
    Screw that. May place in Columbia has this 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    The Fogo website still states "free shipping on all orders". 40lb. bags delivered for $45 by UPS Ground.

Firecraft sells Rockwood for $22 for 20 lbs. but you need to order 5 bags ($109) to get free shipping.

If you spend an extra $3 per bag at Fogo, you can get Quebracho restaurant grade delivered for $48/40lbs.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is sold in stores - they're currently out of WGC for online orders.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Theophan

... In my previous entry of "no smoke flavor whatsoever" it was an astonished proclamation of discovery that I could do it, not that I expect to regularly do it with the same success. I typically go for a light smoke....
    Ah.  OK, I think I'm getting it now.  So it sounds like when doing a simple roast chicken, for example, in the Egg, I've been using BGE lump without wood chips, and you're more likely to use Rockwood BUT you add a bit of wood for some smoke.  Gosh, I guess I'll have to do two different "tests" of Rockwood if/when I can get some: one chicken with just Rockwood and see what it's like, and then another chicken with Rockwood and maybe just a little bit of some kind of wood.  I'll hope to get some Rockwood and see how it goes.

Thanks!
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    After reading this thread, I just placed an order at Firecraft for 2 bags.
    (I use Cowboy or Royal Oak as its available local)
    If its as good as everyone is saying then 5 bags the next order (I love free shipping :))
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Tony _T - If you get into Rockwood and Firecraft, Firecraft has greatly improved their shipping containers.  3 20# bags to the box is ideal and they arrive in great shape.  FedEx is their carrier.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I bet the UPS man hates Firecraft.
    Actually, they hate I phone release day the worst. Imagine a truck full of tiny boxes. A gazillion stops in a day. All of the seasoned veterans take that day off. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Are you saying Rockwood gave everyone wood when they ate your spatchcock chicken????  Where is Dr. Freud when we need him???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    After reading this thread, I just placed an order at Firecraft for 2 bags.
    (I use Cowboy or Royal Oak as its available local)
    If its as good as everyone is saying then 5 bags the next order (I love free shipping :))
    It is that good brother.  You'll soon know.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Found this interesting map of where rock wood is available from Ace hardware. I've seen many times where people have said you just give them
    the sku and they will have it in a few a day, anyone know the price from Ace? I assume those of use who don't live in PA don't have to pay tax so ordering the 5 bags may be the best option?

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ace-hardware/
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    Got 5 bags of Rockwood on order. (Free shipping). Looking forward to it and now that I am liberated, I am paying attention. the largest piece of lump fill from by BGE bag this morning was a rock - no kidding
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Found this interesting map of where rock wood is available from Ace hardware. I've seen many times where people have said you just give them
    the sku and they will have it in a few a day, anyone know the price from Ace? I assume those of use who don't live in PA don't have to pay tax so ordering the 5 bags may be the best option?

Each Ace store is independently owned and operated, so the price will vary per location.  As many have also suggested, make sure you sign up for an Ace Rewards card for the coupons.  Just give the store that 8400772 SKU number and if their restock truck comes from the Gainesville GA, Loxley AL, Tampa FL, Wilmer TX, or Prince George VA warehouse, they'll have those bags in a few days.

And you are correct, if you order from Firecraft and you're out of state, you do not pay PA sales tax.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:

And you are correct, if you order from Firecraft and you're out of state, you do not pay PA sales tax.
    Only PA residents buying from a PA business pay the 6% Sales Tax. That does not mean there is no tax. States, such as PA, have a Use Tax that is equal to the Sales Tax. If a PA resident purchases a taxable item from a business that is out of state, the resident is required to pay the 6% Use Tax when filing their annual State Income Tax.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mikee said:
    stlcharcoal said:

Only PA residents buying from a PA business pay the 6% Sales Tax. That does not mean there is no tax. States, such as PA, have a Use Tax that is equal to the Sales Tax. If a PA resident purchases a taxable item from a business that is out of state, the resident is required to pay the 6% Use Tax when filing their annual State Income Tax.

Right....like IL.  Does anyone actually do that that?  As far as I know, only some of the state governments have gone after Amazon and other big .com retailers.  I highly doubt Firecraft is on their hit list. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Once PA starting putting Use Tax on the income tax form, I started paying it or at least what I could remember. Granted, my memory isn't all that great now-a-days. PA was one of the states that went after Amazon to start collecting sales tax for purchases from PA residents. Not paying any Use Tax might be just another reason for an audit. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Mikee said:
    If a PA resident purchases a taxable item from a business that is out of state, the resident is required to pay the 6% Use Tax when filing their annual State Income Tax. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@stlcharcoal any chance it will be ever be distributed through Ace in the midwest?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Theophan

... I read a lot, and while in the service, I read volumes ...
    I don't want people to get mad about this being off-topic.  I'm replying by message instead of here.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    feef706 said:

If I order it through the Ace here, MSRP is 26.95 bag (plus 10% tax here in NOLA).  Firecraft is 22 dollars a bag shipped, no tax.  I go Firecraft regularly, and also do group buys with fellow eggers in town.

My wife just shakes her head when the firecraft boxes show up.

NOLA
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    you now know our secret. Soon we will all have to hord rockwood due to demand. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    I bought my BGE 2 weeks ago I was given a "free" bag of this.  Good, bad or OK?  I.e. Use it and then order some  Rockwood or go back for more?  The dealer "likes this more than BGE lump."
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    blind99 said:

@stlcharcoal any chance it will be ever be distributed through Ace in the midwest?

Maybe one day......Since we're own our distributor in the Midwest, it doesn't make much sense right now.  For instance, we would ship it out of one of our three MO warehouses to Ace's IL & AR warehouse only to have them ship it right back into Missouri.  Lots of logistics costs passed onto the consumer or their margin that gets eaten up.  It saves everyone down the supply chain money if we just ship direct to the Midwest stores that want to stock it.  For now, we'll send anything extra to the stores 1000+ miles away where we can't distribute directly ourselves due to the trucking costs. 

Where in the Midwest are you?  Might be able to get someone near you ahead in the [long] line.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I will add my two cents...

Yes LUMP is VERY different..

I will not use Cowboy or Frontier...once and done---ce...

I will use BGE, Wicked Good, Royal Oak...those are the cleanest, longest, and hotest charcoals I have used..

My opinion...and like something else, everybody's got one...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    I bought my BGE 2 weeks ago I was given a "free" bag of this (Humphrey Natural).  Good, bad or OK?  I.e. Use it and then order some  Rockwood or go back for more?  The dealer "likes this more than BGE lump."

Not too bad, 
    Take a look at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag39.htm
    and http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    nhk19 said:
    I bought my BGE 2 weeks ago I was given a "free" bag of this (Humphrey Natural).  Good, bad or OK?  I.e. Use it and then order some  Rockwood or go back for more?  The dealer "likes this more than BGE lump."

Not too bad, 
    Take a look at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag39.htm
    and http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

Great website!  Thank you!!!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Rockwood is the ONLY lump that touches my Egg !!!  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    I bought my BGE 2 weeks ago I was given a "free" bag of this.  Good, bad or OK?  I.e. Use it and then order some  Rockwood or go back for more?  The dealer "likes this more than BGE lump."
    I found it to be very good, but it's been awhile.  I can't say it's any better than the other elite brands mentioned in this thread.  For me, sourcing Rockwood is now so easy, that's all I use.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas