Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon time!

Options
First shot at bacon. Picked up a ~9lb pork belly from Costco. Used Prague Powder #1 along with kosher salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Made it two ways, one was maple and included a rubdown of maple syrup. The other was peppered, which included extra black pepper. 

Curing (pictures on Photobucket won't rotate, I gave up trying):

Smoking with apple wood at 225F:

Pulled at 165, which was at separate times:

Breakfast maple slices at varying thicknesses (1/8" ~ 3/8") after cooling and an overnight rest in the fridge:

Sliced the rest of the maple after breakfast. The peppered was sliced after a few cups of coffee:

Sealed with Foodsaver in 6-7 slice packs. Left the ends out in Ziplock for the weekend:

I tried some pretty thick self cut slices. While it was delicious, I think I like "grocery store thick cut" or normal thickness best.
Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    So cut it thinner

:)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I could use some of that for my breakfast tomorrow.  Oh and my burgers this week.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I agree on the thickness. Cut it too thick and it starts to taste like ham to me. I do like those end pieces. You can caramelize them on more than 2 sides :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Cold smoke it and it's a different ball game 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    It looks great to me!  I find I can get thinner cuts by throwing the pieces in the freezer and taking them out one by one to slice.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I agree with Chubbs.  Cold smoking and then try to get a good quality slicer that can handle the size of one of those.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs