Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare cleaning observations - if you are so inclined

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
This is only the second time in 4 years of use of my gen 1 SmokeWare cap that I decided it needed cleaning. The first time I cleaned it I used Easy-Off oven cleaner. That stuff is caustic and nasty but works. This time I decided to go with ammonia soaks as that method works great for the cast iron daisey. Well 52 hours in ammonia barely did squat for the underneath of the cap piece. Sure it cleaned up the sides somewhat, but the build up under the crown is hard and nasty! If you don't believe me and you have used your SmokeWare for any length of time then turn it over and see for yourself. It's not pretty is it?

Anyway in spite of the prior 52 hours soak I have now sprayed that underneath build up 7 times with Easy-Off and waited 25 to 30 minutes for it to work. The resulting paper towel clean off shows me it is cutting into the build up but I know I have several more coats to go so I went back for another can.

My suggestion is if you are so inclined to clean your SmokeWare cap from time to time then don't let it go too long as the cresote build up under the shiney cap can get heavy and be a real PITA to remove. I just figured if you are inclined to clean your SmokeWare to keep it shiney then you are probably like me and will want the unseen side clean as well.

Just the same - I still love my SmokeWare! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What about a clean burn?

=) 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Try putting the cap in a black HD trash bag in the sun with the ammonia for a day or 2. This trick works wonders on gunk removal. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What about a clean burn?

=) 
    LOL, good luck trying that! 
  • RRP
    Options
    Try putting the cap in a black HD trash bag in the sun with the ammonia for a day or 2. This trick works wonders on gunk removal. 
    Thank you for your recommendation! BTW for anyone following my suggestion of using Easy-Off then PLEASE use it outside! Make use it is not near any growing plants as the over spray will kill them! Trust me! Don't be down wind when you spray. DO wear at least plastic gloves or latex gloves...BTW one of my plastic ones ripped a finger and I got a sever chemical burn!...never going to do that again! And lastly - when I finally get through the rest of the layers using Easy-Off then I definitely will be returning to the ammonia soak for the final "crud out of the crevices clean out!
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @RRP I throw mine in the dishwasher once a month roughly. It takes a couple of cycles and I just wipe the crud off after its done the first cycle and on the second it comes out looking brand new. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm building an electrolysis tank, would that clean it?

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy a new one? 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Try the Oder Free/Fumeless stuff I spray mine wait an hour or so then a SS scrubby with the finishing grain gets it like new, usually throw in Dishwasher if it's ready to run. Take off the little silicone tab.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• RRP
    Options
    Back at it today. Not preaching, but just seeing and trying to clean this crud off makes me happy I quit smoking 31 years ago! 
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    @RRP , I'm going to point that out to my wife next time I think of it. My SW cap is appropriately cruddy. I quit the cigs almost ten years ago... my wife, two or so, and neither of us are going back now that we've got a kid in the house.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    What would be the result of just putting the cap in the kitchen oven and running the self clean cycle?
    Shouldn't that do the trick?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    What would be the result of just putting the cap in the kitchen oven and running the self clean cycle?
    I don't know, but the build up is hard, nasty stuff let alone was very thick to start with. I'm taking it off layer by layer. The Easy-Off is not penetrating much at all. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Most likely it would clean the gunk and heavily smoke up your kithen. The stainless would probably turn a golden color from the heat.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like how everyone just completely ignores the simplest solution. Is it because I am Canadian?
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • RRP
    Options
    1move said:
    I like how everyone just completely ignores the simplest solution. Is it because I am Canadian?
    I understand your solution of putting it in the dish washer once a month. But trust me where mine stood no dishwasher would have phased the build up! Once I get down to bare metal then I will adopt a different regular cleaning routine - though it will be an overnight soak in ammonia which will do an amazing job.
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What about a clean burn?

=) 
    My large won't get hot enough for a clean burn with the SC in place but it will turn a golden color. I use the EasyOff method.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• RRP
    Options
    I'm done! Whatever the black stuff left refuses to come off with Easy-Off, ammonia and even Scotch Brite scrubbers. I've spent all the time I'm going to! Now I'm going to do a clean burn and call my Spring egg cleaning finished!

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    blasting said:

All you need is a plastic bucket, a battery charger, a piece of scrap steel, water and PH+
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not do a clean burn with the cap on!  It will remove the beautiful stainless coating.  Ruined mine doing that.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

All you need is a plastic bucket, a battery charger, a piece of scrap steel, water and PH+
     Thanks.  I've just started assembling the supplies.  It will be based in a 55 gallon plastic drum.

I was wondering if electrolysis would clean something like a stainless steel smokeware cap.
    Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Mine's not too cruddy, but I believe I'll give it a cleaning !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    @RRP - Looks like you will need a new gasket now too. I applied mine to the inside of the cap instead of the outside of the chimney on your recommendation and have not cleaned mine yet because of that. I'm really not that worried about the inside of the cap anyway as long as the outside looks halfway decent. I've only had mine since Christmas so it's not that bad yet. Thanks for your post and tips for cleaning.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • RRP
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    @RRP - Looks like you will need a new gasket now too. I applied mine to the inside of the cap instead of the outside of the chimney on your recommendation and have not cleaned mine yet because of that. I'm really not that worried about the inside of the cap anyway as long as the outside looks halfway decent. I've only had mine since Christmas so it's not that bad yet. Thanks for your post and tips for cleaning.
    yea, the gasket was toast. This time I'll go with a Rutland.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    How do y'all take yours off. The bottom piece of mine is on so tight with the gasket it doesn't budge
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    How do y'all take yours off. The bottom piece of mine is on so tight with the gasket it doesn't budge
    I used a heat gun to expand the metal while the egg itself was stone sober cold! It took several minutes heating all around. I was then able to pry it loose.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    OCD. I clean after each use most of the time. If it's warm/hot it basically will wipe right off with little effort. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Need to clean mine. It will hardly turn 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    i used PBW, its  a brewery cleaner and it gets mine clean as new.
    HFX NS
  • RRP
    Options
    Nsdexter said:
    i used PBW, its  a brewery cleaner and it gets mine clean as new.
    Let me just guess here - I bet you don't wait 2 years between cleaning though, right? Trust me - after all the time and effort I put in to this "renewal effort" then I too will be cleaning it on a more regular basis! I just got lazy, that's all.