Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Smoking Suggestions

Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I have a 9 lb smoked uncooked ham (shank portion) that I plan on smoking over the holidays. The recipes in the BGE book are limited and I'm looking for both help and ideas. Since this is an uncooked ham, what are the cooking times, etc? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    DannyC,
    Well, I usually use a coffee glaze as per Alan Zenreich. He's a Kam*** user. I am too but have no animosity AT ALL about the egg! Super fine product and absolutely the finest users on the planet. I have the most fantastic results with this recipe going at 250 degrees until a 160- to 180 degree internal temp. Here's the link to Alan's great page on this recipe. http://www.zenreich.com/zenweb/smokedham.htm[p]I've done five hams this way and am hooked on ham. Ham I am, green egg done ham!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    DannyC,[p]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="RED">Caution - Caution</FONT></FONT>. You are actually reading the BGE manual. This is very dangerous as you might actually cook using one of those recipes. I am of the opinion that BGE printed up 500,000 copies of that book and they obviously have not yet run out of them. It's a shame too since it is so totally full of errors (actually the forum members have devised much better ways to cook since it was first printed). [p]The forum has been here for about 4 years and that manual was printed before the hundreds of users found this website and began sharing ideas and methods (because the manual was so lacking). The methods in the book are old and 75% of them should be totally ignored (ie: ribs in 45 min - try more like 4 hrs). Please use the manual to start you r next fire and ask the forum for advice before using that manual.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's world of BGE[/ul]