Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick and painless Sliced Steak Sammishes

Options
sllofoot
sllofoot Posts: 13
Hey all,

Been a'lurking, thought I'd actually share a cook with you all.   This is becoming one of my family's go-to "oh **** it's 7 what are we going to feed the kids?" meals.   It's not as good as pork ribs (my kids favorite) but it is generally very appreciatively received for something that takes about 45 minutes from the time we decide that feeding our children is a good idea.

I think it's important you wait till last minute and then panic and make the wife go to the sad small town grocery store that's five blocks away where the best steaks you could possibly buy are these:

Okay, that's a lie.  That's actually a friend I made at work today.  Here's the steaks:

Not very high quality top sirloin steaks, so I douse them in salt and pepper and worstershire.   Werstershire?   Woestershire?   I give up.  You figure it out.

Grill them for 3-4 minutes a side depending on how hot the egg got (I shoot for 450ish but I'm not very good with temperature control).   They ended up kinda like this:

A few minutes of cutting and it's more like this:

At some point the kids start whining because I'm just shovelling it into my face by the fistful and I end up loading their sandwiches up.

The secret MVP of this quick and easy cook is the bread.  It's some kinda Sara Lee Artisanal stuff that you can get at the grocery store here in East Bumf*$k and it's great for this.  Really soaks up the juice well.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share!   

Floydada, TX.
One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh man, I'll take one!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    Looks great. Sirloin has great flavour. Welcome to the board. I lurk too. Would like to hear your rib technique though

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mighty fine looking Sammies. I would stand in line for that!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sllofoot
    sllofoot Posts: 13
    Options
    What I do with the ribs isn't too complicated.  I've tried a few different approaches and the key is to not burn them.  I know, I know, that's pretty crazy, huh?

This thread has some good commentary:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161411/turbo-baby-back-ribs-a

The one I have had the best results with was a indirect @350 for 1:40.  I'll check them at 1:15 or so and if they're looking at all burnt on the bottom I'll curse a bit them flip them.   Some days I sauce and some days I don't.  I mostly use the larger spare ribs cuts but if I'm in a pinch and it's a St. Louis style or back ribs then cut the time back a bit.   If they're overly fatty I've had the bst result by dropping the temp to 325 and going for maybe 2 hours, or 2:15, somewhere in there.  This isn't very precise because my memory is poor and because I just mostly wing it.

Billy Ray posted a "super turbo" message in that thread that I have had good results with as well.  It just scares me a bit (first time I made ribs, aced it.  Second time burned them but probably my fault) so I don't use it as often.

I basically combine approaches from this forum with the seasoning strategies of Aaron Franklin which basically boils down to keeping it simple.   For beef I mostly use a 50/50 pepper/salt mix I have in a really large shaker and for pork I switch it up to a 25/50/25 salt/pepper/paprika mix and then just randomly toss stuff like umami salt on when I'm feeling adventurous.   Most of that doesn't matter, though.  What matters is cooking long enough they're ready (one thing I'm learning is that with any form of BBQ, there's done, and then there's ready, which is a big departure from grilling easy things like steaks.) and yet not burning them.
    Floydada, TX.
    One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.