Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Canadians - What did you pay for your Egg?

Options
So, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on both a Large (with Nest and Egg Mates) and a Mini Max this weekend. With taxes, the prices (which include taxes) appear to be in the realm of the following:

Large (with Nest and Egg Mates, but without plate setter): $1600
Mini Max (with carrier, but without plate setter): $983

(Yes, I know these prices are ridiculous relative to our U.S. counterparts!)

Canadian Egg owners - Is this somewhat akin to the prices you paid? Just curious.

Thanks!

P.S: If anyone knows about the latitude dealers have in terms of pricing, this would also be informative!

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Where are you located? Those prices seem very high? I will have to look back at what I paid for the larges. But my minmax was only $705 I think. With plate setter and carrier. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I'm in Ottawa. Yes, I know these prices are relatively high. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I am sure someone will chime in from out your way soon. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Little Steven edit- that didn't work
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I appreciate your input AlbertaEgger!
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What i believe to be the cheapest prices in Edmonton puts a large at 1200 no accessories and the minimax at 750 with no accessories.

I was also told that any accesories ourchased with the egg would get a 10% discount.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Grate egg, you need to take a few days of vacation and drive to Atlanta.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I purchased a Large in Oakville, ON, for my brother in 2011: with the usual accessories (grill gripper, ash tool), nest, grill extender, and plate setter - $1,445 ($1,633 taxes in). That included assembly and delivery. The Egg Mates were an extra $100.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    I purchased a Large in Oakville, ON, for my brother in 2011: with the usual accessories (grill gripper, ash tool), nest, grill extender, and plate setter - $1,633. That included assembly and delivery. The Egg Mates were an extra $100.
    You sound like a good brother! Thanks for the info.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Prices have gone up since 2011. Pm sent. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    Grate egg, you need to take a few days of vacation and drive to Atlanta.
    Funny thing is, I totally would, were it not for the fact that warranty would not be valid outside of U.S.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options

You sound like a good brother! Thanks for the info.
    The funny thing about Egging is that it's a social pursuit - more eggers = more fun! So my reasons were somewhat selfish. Good luck with your purchase!
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Yeah I went south of the boarder and picked both of mine up. I ended up saving about 55%-60% compare to here. My XL just cracked and I drove down and picked up a new base. BGE is pissed off at the Canadian BGE as it costs BGE Canada nothing to get the parts up here other than the coordination. They are made at the same factory and thanks to the NAFTA agreement you would not be paying import fees. 

I'm curious to see how much pressure BGE puts on the Canadian dealer not to **** around. We get gouged up here and it's just a **** move to not warranty the product because you didn't make money on it.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I think given inflation you are somewhere in the right zone for the large (Assume that price is including tax).  My wife got me my large with nest, mates, nest handler, setter, lifter and 3 bags charcoal for about the same four years ago. 

Instead of minimax I would look at Lowes for a Joe Jr.  $569 but depending on the week they have no tax or up to 20% off. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    BigWader said:
    I think given inflation you are somewhere in the right zone for the large (Assume that price is including tax).  My wife got me my large with nest, mates, nest handler, setter, lifter and 3 bags charcoal for about the same four years ago. 

Instead of minimax I would look at Lowes for a Joe Jr.  $569 but depending on the week they have no tax or up to 20% off. 
    Thanks. Was also considering the Joe Jr., but I figured if I could get a good deal by purchasing two eggs at once
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a large green egg and a joe Jr. Love them both, the Jr gets used the most and it is definately not a step backwards!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Took a look locally here and the large is $1,700 with nest/mates. So I say $1,600 is about right. I went south for mine and it was exactly 50% less. I can do warranty claims, just gotta head south again to pick up parts
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I just bought a large package with platesetter and pizza stone for 1750. Oh yeah, there was that bothersome little 13% HST on top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

Sounds good to me. I just bought a large package with platesetter and pizza stone for 1750. Oh yeah, there was that bothersome little 13% HST on top.

Yay, Ontario. I spent 2 nights south when picking up my egg (was planned regardless) and brought it back "duty free" so theres another 13% savings. Funny how that works.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I did the cross border thing when the dollar was pretty much at par.

LBGE cover, platesetter, grill gripper, ashtool, nest, bag of BGE lump. I paid $1174 and I got my $74 tax back. It seems a bit steeper than others for the same but considering it would have cost me $1800 in Canada I was happy to save the $700 plus the taxes.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    For all you cross border shoppers, is the process of having to drive to the U.S. for claims not onerous? Guess it totally depends how far you reside. In my case, the travel time and fuel would probably nullify any savings. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    I usually go down for a weekend 2-3 times a year so I just bought it when I was on my semi annual road trip. Im only 1.5 hours to the border and another 1.5 hours to the dealer I bought from.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    poster said:

Yay, Ontario. I spent 2 nights south when picking up my egg (was planned regardless) and brought it back "duty free" so theres another 13% savings. Funny how that works.

When I got to the border we were asked what did you spend. I answered back $1500 or whatever it was. I would have been over on a single limit but I just grouped them together and they never asked anymore questions.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I made a vacation out of it and bought it 13 hours away, one way. I just drove down this past weekend to pick up a new base and it was a 5 hour one way drive to the closest US dealer. It made for a nice weekend getaway.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    My large was about $1600 after taxes about three years ago when the loonie was doing much better.   I doubt that you'll do much better than the price you stated.   It's pretty standard practice for companies to gouge Canadians.  

New Brunswick, Canada

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    BigWings said:
    My large was about $1600 after taxes about three years ago when the loonie was doing much better.   I doubt that you'll do much better than the price you stated.   It's pretty standard practice for companies to gouge Canadians.  
    What I resent about the whole price parity approach taken by organizations is that it only works one way - they'll bump the prices up when the Canadian dollar is strong but conversely, will never correct in your favour. The consumer only ever sees increases. No comment on BGE; just a general observation about the practices of most organizations.
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options

I purchased my medium with all the fittings in Virginia Beach ten years ago for $599.00. The dollar exchange at that time was 10%. Figured we saved at least $500.00, paid no Cdn taxes as we were on holiday. Will purchase on the U.S. side when I have to.

Codfish. Niagara Falls On.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Make an up-State NY visit for two days over a weekend, difference in price will pay for your trip. Large egg is $849US at the dealer in Potsdam, NY. That converts to about $1070CDN. 
    BGE Canada is in Toronto (was five years ago - Northwinds Marketing Inc) They have the franchise for Canada as a distributor I think. This arrangement, sanctioned by BGE Mothership adds to the cost incredibly. 
    If you buy in the States, you will have to return for warranty issues. 
    Like @Codfish - my MBGE was $650US five years ago in Bellingham WA, Canadian dealer wanted over $1000. Have had a new setter on warranty, no issues. 

PS - If you do buy in the States and the LBGE is still packaged in two boxes, get a separate bill for each - ensures you get back under the $800 exemption per item after 48 hours out of country and assuming you have a travelling companion. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    More importantly...How much does it cost us in the US to get LaBomba.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mithrandir
    Options
    Paid 1200 $ before taxes in Québec without any accessories.... Now I'm thinking about buying a AR from Ceramic grill store... I wonder what will be the shipping/duty cost.....
    Roberval, Qc, Canada