Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp maintaining ??

I got my first Egg for my birthday this year.

I have been cooking on it for afew months now.

The longest cook I have done was about 2 1/2 hours on a spatch cut chicken, on direct heat.

I keep seeing people post about doing over night cooks, and 5 hour plus cooks.

So with it being summer time, how do you maintain temps for long with out having to stay close and keep a eye on in?

If say you wanted to go play around of golf, and come back to some tastey food.

I am using a Mini-Max if that matters.

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Either invest in a temp control device like a DigiQ or some such, or get comfortable with getting your openings dialed in for a certain temp. If you maintained temp for 2 1/2 hours, you should be able to stay at that same temp for 5+ hours. Remember, don't chase temps at the beginning of the cook. Let the egg settle in for a while, preferably a little lower than your desired temp. These things are great at holding temps consistently. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Great advice above.  When I first got my egg I was always chasing temps.  After awhile, you get a feel for the vent settings and I started to just let the egg stabilize at a temp before making adjustments.  Even after I got better at maintaining temps though, I dreaded overnight cooks as I generally wouldn't sleep much.  Always checking my maverick to see what the egg temp was.

I then acquired a Pitmaster IQ 120 and have slept like a baby on my overnight cooks ever since.  I just gave the Pitmaster to my Dad as I bought a Flame Boss 200 as I wanted to be able to monitor and change temps with my phone.  That little sucker works like a charm.  I was at my office the other day while I had a brisket cook going.  I logged on to the cook with my phone and changed my pit temp from 12 miles away.  Maybe not needed very often but it is sure is nice to know that I can pull the cook up on my phone and monitor and change things as needed.  
    XL BGE
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    You will get it after a while.  If not you can buy a digiQ

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf