Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this subject has been "beat to death" but here I am again..I'm so unhappy w/my current way of starting lump..but I won't get a mapp tourch so I've been stuck w/the little cubes of firestaters...I got a log one time as well..but the dogs got to it after only one use...[p]Today while at Home Depot I found "fire starters" by LandmannUSA...anybody have any experience w/these?? the package says "safe, non-tozic, non-petroleum based" it does contain "aliphatic hydrocarbons, Urea Based Resins and Parafins"....according to directions you just light a couple of thsese little buggers, toss them in and there ya have it...will try tomorrow....

Comments

• Tombo
    Tombo Posts: 46
    Options
    Arlene,
    Have you or can you use an Electric Charcoal Lighter. They are easy to use, if you have a plug :)
    Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    tombo,
    ha ha ha ...no plug at all....

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Arlene,
    I will tell you now that this is by far the best way to start the Egg. It has a long wand that will keep you away from the fire and push button start with a huge amount of fire to get it started. I have used every kind of starter made and this one is by far top of the line. You can find it at most hardware stores. If you are going to have the top of the line cooker, then why not have the best way to start it.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91037[p]Chef Jerry

• Unknown
    Options
    Arlene,[p] A trusted source (with many years of ceramic cooker experience ..BGE included) was adamant about starting the fire small, and at the bottom grate, using some wood and lump (tepee style), with a Weber starter cube. After the 'tepee' is glowing red, additional lump and wood chunks are added to the desired level. This has never failed me for extremes of short/hot cooks and long/low cooks. I tried alternatives and had several total failures with the fire going out. I will not move away from this consistently successful technique. The only exception might be repeating the 'tepee' in more than one location for specific cooks where it is essential to have a 'spread' of hot lump.[p]I have no problem with BGE fire starters, but have not run the math to figure out how many pieces they can be broken into and how that compares with the Weber cube cost.[p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I'm nervous around stuff like that....one of the "selling points" of the BGE was how easy it was to start...no "gas" needed.... ho hum...guess this will be one of my crosses to bear....
    Signed,
    can't start a fire gal...LOL

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Arlene,
    I think that sometimes we make starting a fire more difficult than it has to be. It's really not rocket science. This product has never failed me...it's all I ever use....2 or 3... 1" pieces of this is sure fire. However, it's just one of many ways to start a fire. I'm just a tightwad. One box will start 15 to 18 fires.[p]Mike

[ul][li]http://www.rei.com/product/652.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    but this method doesn't seem nearly as fast and easy...translation...guess that makes me lazy. While it might work everytime, I just don't have the time..not w/a busy 2 year old and dogs fighting to get in the house once the door opens....usually by the 2 year old trying to get out to help...[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I picked up 2 packages of these...and while they work good sometimes, they don't always...I wonder if it has anything to do w/the humidity here? Probally not

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Arlene,
    Where are you, Dear? BTW, I never heard back from you.[p]Mike

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Arlene,
    I first used an electric starter I ordered from Atlanta. It took to long for my taste. After a hot water heater decided to go south flooding my house in the process I got a Mapp gas torch for puting in the new one. I started using it as many here attest to its speed. When the gas ran out I bought propane to use with the torch. It doesn't burn as hot and I'd guess its a mite safer than MAPP gas....and a lot cheaper too.[p]Yes its gas but its the same stuff camping lanterns and camp stoves run off....I usually stock up on a couple bottles when the camping stuff starts going on sale/clearance.[p]Those weber cubes work fine too....I've been there done that as well. Green heat is another product that works pretty good but I didn't like the "invisible" flame you got and the potential issues with that.

• Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I'm in Georgia...and I passed along the info to DH..he better order me something for our anniversery coming up..I'm just very perplexed as to why I'm having a hard time starting my fire...and it's just been the last few weeks..first I thought there was (and there was a little) water that got in the egg..heaven only knows how that happened...thought I got a bad batch of lump..nope, got a brand new bag of BGE lump and it's in a container sealed up...I'm going to give it another go tomorrow..we shall see what happens :o)

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Arlene,
    I'm sure not an expert, but sounds like you might have an air flow problem. Sometimes on really hot, still, summer days ,...I have problems getting enough air flow through the bottom vent...(this can be a result of which direction your Egg is facing...or, a clogged firebox....or both...at least is has been for me). There are times that I have to place a fan several feet away (pointing at the bottom vent) to get enough air movement to get a good fire going. Also, make sure the hole in the bottom of your fire box is lined up with your lower vent. I'm sure it will get better.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    you know..that makes sense....Thanks

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Arlene,
    I read all the postings and was surprised that no one mentioned the good old fashioned 'cheap' chimney starter??
    Works for me every time, and I had already paid for the two sheets of Newspaper.[p]I think some folk's feel that because they have a 'pricey' Smoker, that all the accessories have to be 'pricey' also??

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    you don't know nuthin about "being a tightwad"[p]i bought a 5 pound fireplace log yesterday (for 3.89) to refill my supply. started at least 75 to as many as 100 fires with the last one.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    Arlene,[p]Well, I've posted this a coupla times...once got shot down, but it works great for me and I've tried everything including MAPP torches and the infamous weedburner. Maybe you should try this way too.[p]Wad up a paper towel, put maybe a TBL of vegetable oil on it, place it just as you would a firestarter cube and light it with a match. If you want a hot fire fast, do it 3-4 places.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    stike,
    That's a great idea! Hadn't thought of that.[p]Thanks!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    hmmm i'm thinking 50/50 you are making fun of me.
    hahahaha[p]seriously, though. i can use small pieces for lo-and-slo fires and they burn off quick. maybe four bigger ones for sears, quick-to-temp kind of fires.[p]before i bought the new log, i was down to the bottom of my bag of crumb-sized pieces, and just took a few and squeezed them together to make bigger ones.[p]it's just paraffin and sawdust[p]lots of nice craggy edges that light quick, too. one match.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hello All,New to the egg We have had every grill known to man. I just got the egg put togeather yesterday. Thought I would look at this forum for some tips.It sounds like the egg is not as easy to start as they say.What is the best way?Thanks