Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - worst injury while Egging (graphic pics)

Options
A few months back I was getting the HD aluminum foil out to wrap a butt. as I was getting it out the box of parchment paper fell out and when I went to catch it the aluminum foil fell out of my hand. As it fell the cutter ran around about a 1/4 of my finger slicing it to the bone 5 stitches closed it up. And I was able to get home and enjoy some pulled pork. In 8 years as a butcher I've never once cut myself and I almost took off my finger with aluminum foil.

Anyone else injure themselves while egging? I'm guessing burns and cuts will be the most common.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I've done the same with a box of cling wrap.  Those teeth are sharp as crap.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    there probably isnt even a warning on that box of foil =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    This is like a PSA on how not to Egg naked.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Spark landed on my foot the other night.  That's about it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Also had a small spark catch me square in the eyeball. It embedded itself in the white part but came out in a few hours.  
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I busted a nut lifting my XL base into the nest during assembly.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You couldn't do that again even if you tried. That's one hell of a battle wound!! My last two er visits only add up to 5 stitches and one was a meat slicer! Lol Hope you gloved up and egged on!

though I did have a coal pop and stick to my upper and lower eyelid(I somehow closed my eye in time) burning both and my eyelashes as well.  Scared the s#!t out of me more than it hurt!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    want to borrow my slicer =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was home with my two children (a 3 year old and a 6 month old). I grabbed the bottle of super glue to close the laceration up but as I was cleaning it I saw the tendons and the bone so I figured it was an ER trip. Had to wait for my wife to get home from work before I could go. I shut the large down so the meat wouldn't over cook. The most painful thing about the whole incident was the tetanus shot. I still have no feeling in that finger.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I was home with my two children (a 3 year old and a 6 month old). I grabbed the bottle of super glue to close the laceration up but as I was cleaning it I saw the tendons and the bone so I figured it was an ER trip. Had to wait for my wife to get home from work before I could go. I shut the large down so the meat wouldn't over cook. The most painful thing about the whole incident was the tetanus shot. I still have no feeling in that finger.
    I have had some pretty serious reconstruction done on my left leg, ankle and foot. Half of my foot had no feeling for several months, but eventually it regained sensitivity. I am hoping the same for you.
    The important thing is to get it healed and watch for infection. Watch what you do, because without the sensitivity of that finger you could damage it worse and not know it.
    I had a I eve of glass in the numb area of my foot, and did not realize it until I saw blood.
    hope you heel soon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @henapple was sleeping late and moved a few Larges at Salado Fest w/o him.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Do emotional injuries count? I had to pour a little beer out for my egg. RIP 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    That almost made me puke. Too graphic!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @mickey... I wasn't sleeping. I was setting up eggs for the hungover.... @travisstrick @DMW @caliking
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Some high temp jb weld and a little touch-up paint and it will be good as new.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No pics, but every summer I bust my foot open climbing my patio brick stairs in flip flops. No injuries as yet due to direct encounter with prep or cook itself. I seem to struggle more with the one foot in front of the other concept.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I hope my definition of busting a nut is different than yours.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lit said:
    I hope my definition of busting a nut is different than yours.
    Either that, or Fred takes the cake for best "injury".
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Unrelated to the egg, but while we are showing graphic pics, here is one from my work lunch earlier this week.  Last time I get Chinese takeout from that place.  Just about puked all over the office.  The cook has long black hair and I haven't seen him wear a hair net before.  Got my money back and will not be revisiting.  If you are in downtown Columbia, lemme know and I'll message you the details.  This is a delicious piece of extra spicy general tso chicken dangling from a not so delicious course long hair.

Brace yourself: