Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ah, Spring has sprung! Spare ribs & 82 degree weather!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Just put these chunks of spare ribs on. Trying a rub formulation by @Richard FL which he calls Jimmy Joe's Alabama B-B-Q Rub. Thanks Richard! 7 apple chunks starting to create a smokey haze.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice. Awaiting finished product.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great Ron.  Can't wait to see those finishedr
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Looking good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those look really good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I pulled this large package of untrimmed spares pot of the freezer on Friday and was amazed at their very width and length. Then today when I started to cut them to St Louis style spares I noticed there was no flap meat and the pieces I trimmed off were simply huge pieces of thick boneless pork. BTW I prefer to egg my flat like this vs. on edge or 2 tier.

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Don't over heat and crack your egg =)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Happy Rib cooking. The rub certainly has nice color....looking forward to the other side of the cook.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, here's the epilogue but it also serves as a new chapter in my rib cooks. Let me explain. I used a method I have many times of indirect, 300º, bone side down, 3 hours, no flip & no peek. For some reason I did peek at 2.5 hrs and found the ribs were done as far as pull back on the bone. Since my racks are cut in half I don't use the bend test, but rely on my Thermapen for reading the meat temp between the bones. I got several readings of 199 to 204  so I knew they were done. 

Now - these were done a couple hours before super time so rather than FTC them I decided to trust sous vide to keep them nice and warm without over cooking them. I placed the two "money pieces" of 13 ribs in a 1 gal ZipLoc and sent them swimming at 132º until supper time. That rocked!

BTW we prefer to sauce or not sauce at the table so the ribs are served that way. 

Also BTW @Richard FL if you are reading this I want to order that rub! That is terrific!

Here's a pix when I pulled them - apple wood still smoking!

• RRP
    Options
    This says it best!

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Looks great. Tomorrow was supposed to be rib day for us....but thanks to the ongoing well nonsense that has changed...will be using the left over pizza dough. One of these days I will start reading about cooking wings on the Egg.    
  • RRP
    Options

Now - these were done a couple hours before super time so rather than FTC them I decided to trust sous vide to keep them nice and warm without over cooking them. I placed the two "money pieces" of 13 ribs in a 1 gal ZipLoc and sent them swimming at 132º until supper time. 

Just to set the record straight keeping them warm via sous vide had to have been an idea planted in my mind by Spring Chicken, though honestly I thiought he was trying to cook his ribs half this and half that. Perhaps I am wrong, but I just wanted to make sure Leroy gets credit for planting the seed.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Any reason you wouldn't hold them at a higher temp like maybe 175?  I find that 130's seem to cool off fast on the plate
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRP
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Any reason you wouldn't hold them at a higher temp like maybe 175?  I find that 130's seem to cool off fast on the plate
    Guess I wasn't thinking, Glenn. Why I chose 132º was since we enjoyed our steak dinner Saturday night cooked to 131º I just followed that, but you are correct I should have gone higher and will in the future!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think if they are finished at 200 you could easily hold them at 180-200 while you have a few cocktails?  I usually reheat to the finished temp (eg chicken maybe 150). Beef 130 so it stays med rare and pulled pork as high as 200.

i need to do the dry age sometime!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario