Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Grilled a couple ribeyes last night using the reverse sear method. I've done a sirloin this way before, came out spectacular.

This time I ran the grill at 350-375 for the roast time instead of 250 as I had on the sirloin. Then I cranked it to 600 for the sear. Steaks came out perfect except they had kind of a smoke taste to them. I wondering if this was caused by having no drip pan on the plate setter or maybe not letting the grill run longer at 600 before searing? The first time I did a reverse sear with sirloins I did not get that smokey overtone in the steaks.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    They look great..  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Powak
    Options
    They were some good lookin steaks for sure. They actually tasted less charcoaly as leftovers today.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    " I wondering if this was caused by having no drip pan on the plate setter"

This is definitely possible as the ribeye is much fattier and probably dripped more onto the platesetter.  The higher temp could have something to do with it as well as the fat was hitting a hotter platesetter.

"maybe not letting the grill run longer at 600 before searing?"

I don't see how that would do it.

Another factor could the type of quality of the lump and whether it was fresh or older lump in your firebox.

But it sounds like a great cook either way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Powak
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Another factor could the type of quality of the lump and whether it was fresh or older lump in your firebox.

But it sounds like a great cook either way.
    Fresh Royal Oak lump, I've had pretty good luck with this stuff so far and can't beat the price. Next time I do ribeyes I'll think I'll toss in the floating drip pan on the tinfoil balls, but man were those some good steaks.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    although 350-375 is still somewhat low, you will usually notice more smoke kick in at this temp than say 250.

and that smoke will be leftover smoke chunks/chips or maybe grease, etc. 

it's not quite like it needs time to begin burning cleanly, but you might want to make sure.

but the issue should always be simply that the food has too much GOOD tasting smoke.  if the smokiness is bad or gritty, that is a different problem.  usually burning fat (whether from a previous cook or from your meat dripping fat)

so always smell the smoke when you see it change or increase
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]