Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I ate in the garage

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
This was my first shot at County Style Ribs. Not really sure what I was getting into but for $1.49 lb. for prime pork I was in! Smoked low and slow at 250. Sauced at 170 and pulled at 190. I had a couple friends over and we made it a few feet once off the grill. We ate in the garage since we were still hanging in the high 50's low 60's. We made 7 pounds of ribs after trimming and only had a few pieces left over. It was good but it tasted more like a thick pork chop than a consistently of a rib. I would definitely do this again for $1.50 lb. Don't mind the socket wrench set as the asparagus hot pad holder and the clear tubing for ambiance. ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I must be an idiot. I didn't even know there was such a thing as prime pork? I just always thought  Berkshire and kurobuta was top of the line? I'll have to start paying closer attention. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    However, it does look really good! Nicely done 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Seems like its a bit of an obscure cut, not always available.   

Love me some country style ribs, yours look great @WeberWho
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look awesome.  I have a feeling the "prime" is just a Smithfield marketing label but the pork looks great. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks dog gone good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That does look really good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Can't beat that! Looks great!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Those country style "ribs" are really cut up butts.  Versitile and delicious!  What a great reason to eat in the garage.  Taking "Pitmaster Privilege " to the max!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those country style "ribs" are really cut up butts.  Versitile and delicious!  What a great reason to eat in the garage.  Taking "Pitmaster Privilege " to the max!
    I could be mistaken but it looks like he has the country style ribs from the loin.  They have bones in them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Since country style "ribs" are not a real cut, but a marketing strategy, they can be anything.  I usually see them as butchered butts though.  You're right though.  They look more "loiny" than "butty"
    Flint, Michigan
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Probably good I didn't see the sale at Cub or I would've grabbed 20+ pounds.
    Finally the snow is gone and eating in the garage is better than 25 below.
    As usual you have a great cook that I'm jealous of. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• WeberWho
    Options
    However, it does look really good! Nicely done 
    Thanks much! @bhedges1987
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

blasting said:
    Seems like its a bit of an obscure cut, not always available.   

Love me some country style ribs, yours look great @WeberWho
    Took me a little research to see what I even had and why it was $1.49lb. Thanks! @blasting

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Those look awesome.  I have a feeling the "prime" is just a Smithfield marketing label but the pork looks great. 
    Thank you @SmokeyPitt Too be honest I didn't even notice the prime label until removing the packaging. I'm think it's just a gimic from them 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

That looks dog gone good!
    Thanks @bluebird66

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

bgebrent said:
    That does look really good.
    Thank you! @bgebrent

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

blind99 said:
    Can't beat that! Looks great!
    Thanks! @blind99 Good amount of meat on the cheap. I just tossed on a St. Louis Style rack of ribs that could have got me 8 lbs of country ribs. Head scratcher....

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Definitely more my style. Grub sitting on my lap on a fold out chair shooting the sheet with some high school buddies over some cold brewskies. Good times. Thanks! @Fred19Flintstone

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

bigguy136 said:
    Your too nice @bigguy136 More of a guessing game than anything cooking these things. I grabbed the last couple packages they had available. My wife heard an ad on the radio about ribs being on sale. So we went and checked it out. I was hoping it was for St. Louis Style ribs but no dice. Hoping to find them on sale with the Bone Daddy Classic rib competition coming up. Are you in the competition? I know you do the Poolside one but was wondering if you take part on this one as well?

Minnesota
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    Those look like the rib end of the pork loin. The shop I cut meat at in St. Louis country style almost always came from the rib end of the loin. Sometimes we'd cut the whole loin as country style if they were selling. That's more than likely why you said they tasted more like a pork chop. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Those look like the rib end of the pork loin. The shop I cut meat at in St. Louis country style almost always came from the rib end of the loin. Sometimes we'd cut the whole loin as country style if they were selling. That's more than likely why you said they tasted more like a pork chop. 
    @E-ville Egg Thanks for the explanation. It was still moist at 190 internal temp but definitely more of a pork chop texture. Very interesting. Thanks

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Great job on the cook and dining location, I do country style (cut from butts) all the time. Smoke them @ 225-250 apple wood for about an hour with your favorite rub, then in a glass 9x13 pan with a can of coke tightly covered with foil same 250 temp until they fall apart like pulled pork. Usually dome in 4-5 hours, if you want them with more of a bite off the bone rib just pull them before they fall apart. Oh and you will never know the coke is on them.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• WeberWho
    Options
    Great job on the cook and dining location, I do country style (cut from butts) all the time. Smoke them @ 225-250 apple wood for about an hour with your favorite rub, then in a glass 9x13 pan with a can of coke tightly covered with foil same 250 temp until they fall apart like pulled pork. Usually dome in 4-5 hours, if you want them with more of a bite off the bone rib just pull them before they fall apart. Oh and you will never know the coke is on them.
    Hey thanks for the tip @Jupiter Jim I'll have to remember that for next time. Much appreciated 

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    WeberWho said:

bigguy136 said:
    Your too nice @bigguy136 More of a guessing game than anything cooking these things. I grabbed the last couple packages they had available. My wife heard an ad on the radio about ribs being on sale. So we went and checked it out. I was hoping it was for St. Louis Style ribs but no dice. Hoping to find them on sale with the Bone Daddy Classic rib competition coming up. Are you in the competition? I know you do the Poolside one but was wondering if you take part on this one as well?
    When is it? Everything I search for with bone daddy classic is for a BBQ team.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• WeberWho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    WeberWho said:

bigguy136 said:
    When is it? Everything I search for with bone daddy classic is for a BBQ team.
    @bigguy136

Saturday May 7th 8am - 4pm 

Here is the website:

http://www.myappliancesource.com/bone-daddy

Minnesota
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    @WeberWho, that is exactly how they should turn out...  Nice cook!!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    @WeberWho, that is exactly how they should turn out...  Nice cook!!
    Thanks! @onedbguru Nice to explore different cuts of meat and learn a thing or two along the way

Minnesota
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Our Safeway had buy 1 get 1 free Country style ribs a couple weeks ago. I got all 8 packs =). I love cooking them when I get home from work.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I love some CSRs. Great job.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Our Safeway had buy 1 get 1 free Country style ribs a couple weeks ago. I got all 8 packs =). I love cooking them when I get home from work.
    I grabbed the last two packs myself. That's some dedication after work! @clifkincaid

Minnesota