Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP. Problems with my 55lbs XL cook. Need answers quick!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK cooking 55 pounds on the XL I have 7 pieces. the biggest 4 are problably 1 1/2 pounds heaver then the other three. It has been aprox 11 hours. The three little ones are done 195. But when I took the temp of the bigger ones they were only at 165. I have foiled them and raised the temp to 350 and am cooking them indrect again. I also had to reload the egg as it was empty of coal. They were touching so they didnt get the full heat, I am guessing.
Heres the question.
If the big ones are only at 165, do you all think they made it to 140 in 4 hours? I dont want to get sick. The fire remained at aprox 270 the whole night as I checked it often.
Also do you agree with my foil/350 temp?
Seeing as How I had to reload the egg, I didnt let the coals burn for awile before I put the meat on. Are the remaining ones going to taste too smokey? Remember they are rapped in foil.

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    I say you're clear on both counts... If there was enough circulating heat to get the smaller ones to completion, there was also enough to get the larger ones to the plateau point (for which, 165°F is a pretty typical 'settling' point). Seems they just haven't come through that zone yet.
    If you had the larger ones wrapped tight when the relit fire gave off some heavier smoke, I don't foresee that being obvious in the finished product; they should have been protected by the foil.
    Qfan

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Good advise Mike...Have a great weekend.
    Larry

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]I'm guessing that you are short on time or you would not have foiled the last 4 and ramped up the heat so high? I've done hot finishes in foil, but using 300°. (I'm not saying that 350° is too high, just higher than I've done 'em). Remember that once foiled the butt does not know if it is in the egg or in your oven. You may want to rotate some into the oven as well. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bama Hosta Man
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    Don't worry about the 140 in 4 hours. My wife, a state health inspector, confirmed that the 4 hr /140 only applies for holding the meat after cooking. Once you hit 160 you are ok on bacteria and only have to start tracking the time when you drop below 140.