Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going for a late night swim - sous vide swim that is

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Tonight's late Saturday night meal will be a 62 day dry aged rib eye, for 2.5 hours at 131 degrees followed by a quick sear for appearance sake. 5 hours prior I had JACCARDed it and then hit with coarse Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper then in to a FS bag for the vacuum. According to Cook's Illustrated in a 4 hour time the salt will draw any moisture out, mix with the salt and then return with salt intact to the meat. JACCARDing definitely will assure passage ways! Meanwhile we wait!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Can't wait to see how this turns out. You don't need it, but good luck.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks! my only concern will be if I over salted the meat for the moisture content . At 62 days it had lost 19% of it's weight (tasteless water). 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Standing by......
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OK, gang! Here is a picture of our kick-butt rabbit food with components worth more than our early marriage entire meals!!!

and now for the money shot!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Salads look great!  What is in them?
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Salads look great!  What is in them?
    Thanks! Red leaf lettuce, diced onions, sweet peas, and then drizzled with "Litehouse" brand Chunky Bleu Cheese PLUS bleu cheese crumbles which I grated myself using a chunk of $20 a pound bleu cheese from France...name which escapes me!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Good gawd man all that looks and sounds delicious.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That's my kind of salad (big fan of the peas) and the steak looks terrific. I'll bet it tastes even better after investing 62 days of waiting. Well done!
    Stillwater, MN
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks good... All these sous vide cooks here recently 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    It looks great!  What's the verdict on taste?  Did all of the effort result in an over the top steak?  Would you change anything?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRP
    Options
    GlennM said:
    It looks great!  What's the verdict on taste?  Did all of the effort result in an over the top steak?  Would you change anything?
    It was very tender, very tasty and due to sous vide it was a perfect 131º in spite of the quick sear for appearance sake. Luckily it was not too salty and in fact it needed more salt. Well worth the effort!
  • GlennM
    Options
    Fantastic. Was the jaccaard something you would do again?  I've never tried that?  I do use the SV for steaks and pork quite often
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You got this steak thing down! Someday I will get into this aging thing. I know I'm missing out, but I am just too busy and lazy to get after it. I enjoy the posts though. Nice Ron!
  • RRP
    Options
    at 62 days it probably would have been tender enough, but I'm having a tooth problem which will be extracted on Thursday. I figure I'll be sucking on soup for a while so I wanted a hearty steak meal while I could so the JACCARD was just a precaution.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey Ron, we'll be home at the end of the week ... I can help you out during your toothless period ... wouldn't want those steaks to go to waste.  Good looking meal.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GlennM
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If the tooth is real bad you could put the steak in a vitamix and drink it?
    Good luck with the extraction!
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks guys! I had two extracted in Feb. Now this is on the other side and I'm going the implant route so I may have a tender mouth for 4 or 6 months!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Meal looks great Ron... Good luck with your tooth 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GlennM
    Options
    I have been interested in an implant as well. Maybe if yours works out I will consider it 
  • RRP
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have been interested in an implant as well. Maybe if yours works out I will consider it 
    I really have to or I would lose 2 or 3 upper teeth and I'd be toothless on my left side. A bridge is out of the question so the implant is my only hope. By the time it will be screwed in place and then capped I'll be 72 and not ready to start gumming soft food for the rest of my life. One thing for sure the procedure is not cheap and I'll be out at least $4,500 for just the one!
  • GlennM
    Options
    I have a bridge at the front. It has worked well but I'm always aware it's there. A year or so ago I split a tooth and lost part of it. The dentist built it up but I'm expecting it to break again. I would likely look at an implant if that happens. Good luck!