Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small burn out, but big on temperature

Options

Comments

• jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options

I'm guessing you have little hair left on your arm after pizzas or your pizza peel is 6' long.

Cool pic
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    jjmills said:

I'm guessing you have little hair left on your arm after pizzas or your pizza peel is 6' long.

Cool pic
    you need to open it three times in 53 seconds, put it in, rotate, pull it out. the dome is very loose as the bands expand =) you have to be drunk and its very scary still
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    interesting =) your ok with 1200 degree pizza cooks but 800 degrees is out

Michael, no sense trying to converse with Lit. 
    Ron it's stupid to do high heat clean burns several others have said they are not necessary as well. Do you ever admit you are wrong? You are wrong Ron. Wrong! That means not right. I will never change my opinion to be wrong with you. That you are right on. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    maybe i get more grease in mine and heavy black flaky buildup doing low and slows direct all summer long that my egg does need an occasional burn out. grease from one duck low and slow, do others get this =) thats just the grease building up on the daisy which needs burning off. if your style of cooking doesnt build up that tarpaper gunk over time then no need, if it does there is a need. even my old gas grill would build up enough grease that i had a weekly fire =)

100_1113jpg

fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    maybe i get more grease in mine and heavy black flaky buildup doing low and slows direct all summer long that my egg does need an occasional burn out. grease from one duck low and slow, do others get this =) thats just the grease building up on the daisy which needs burning off. if your style of cooking doesnt build up that tarpaper gunk over time then no need, if it does there is a need. even my old gas grill would build up enough grease that i had a weekly fire =)

100_1113jpg

Running the egg a little longer at a lower temp like 500 will burn all that out also just have to let it run longer. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    maybe 10 hours at 500 would clean my chicken thigh egg =) at 900 it flakes off in 3/16 inch thick big pieces and still takes hours and that camp egg has never cracked, the egg at my house has cracked 3 times and the time i heard the base crack it was way under 500 and it was before the high temp pizza experiments. these things crack for no reason except a design flaw (pretty much starts from the lower vent corner everytime). if it was the high heat it would crack in the middle at the fire level
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

Ron it's stupid to do high heat clean burns several others have said they are not necessary as well. Do you ever admit you are wrong? You are wrong Ron. Wrong! That means not right. I will never change my opinion to be wrong with you. That you are right on. 
    You know everything @Lit .  I am really excited to have access to your knowledge on this forum.  Thank you for being so generous with your time!
    Well thanks for noticing.
  • Lit
    Options
    Oh no the thief that was going to sell the 2nd guitar a company accidentally shipped him disagrees with me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    This could be the Friday night launch...definitely doing well for a weekday thread.  Don't ease up on the throttle now  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

You know everything @Lit .  I am really excited to have access to your knowledge on this forum.  Thank you for being so generous with your time!
    No problem!  Its rare to run across a person who knows everything about everything.  I make sure to take note so I can store their posts for future refrence!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

No problem!  Its rare to run across a person who knows everything about everything.  I make sure to take note so I can store their posts for future refrence!!
    That's why this forum is so great. There's a lot of us here.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Lit said:

That's why this forum is so great. There's a lot of us here.
    Ah, a gathering of eagles! Guess that's why there is so much sh*t on the ground...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Pizzas at 550??? what????? that's ridiculous! I do mine around 700. Never had issues. Why cant you get en egg up to temp, even if for extended periods of time, but have to worry about it cracking? That's a risk we all take. I find this thread very amusing, no offense to anybody. Sear steaks and pizzas, but don't go above 650 for more then an hour! haha I wouldn't buy 1 if that were the case.
    Austin, Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Mine's cracked, base, firebox, fire ring.  I may not be as educated as you all, but I would imagine lots of factors could contribute to the ceramics cracking, including torque or whatever from the bands, minor variations in the ceramics, maybe one of their molds is bad and every 5th egg is more susceptible.  Who knows.  It happens to some people, but not all.  If you've had your egg and believe in what you're doing, good for you.  If you're new, just know some people have eggs crack and it might be from high heat.  Or it might not.  You have a warranty.  Go forth and wrap that thermometer, or don't.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Pizzas at 550??? what????? that's ridiculous! I do mine around 700. Never had issues. Why cant you get en egg up to temp, even if for extended periods of time, but have to worry about it cracking? That's a risk we all take. I find this thread very amusing, no offense to anybody. Sear steaks and pizzas, but don't go above 650 for more then an hour! haha I wouldn't buy 1 if that were the case.
    550 works great for AP and bread flour doughs.  Not ridiculous.  700 also works depending on your dough, as it does for you.  And I don't disagree with your conclusion.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Unless you are using an OO flour your pizzas will cook better at the lower temp. Even with OO they still cook fine at 500-550. 500 degree pizza is gross right. Either way if you crack it using it great but don't crack it doing something you don't need to do.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    The Douchebag dark Side of the Force is very high in this thread. Can we resist? 
  • Lit
    Options
    yljkt said:
    The Douchebag dark Side of the Force is very high in this thread. Can we resist? 
    Seems the douche really increased recently.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Damn Ron, Yours must be special. I cant get nine over 300* no matter what I do. Have you tried naphtha?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options

Damn Ron, Yours must be special. I cant get nine over 300* no matter what I do. Have you tried naphtha?

Special? I guess so, but my high temp ability carries a high price of having @Lit  stalk me like he does.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    RRP said:

Special? I guess so, but my high temp ability carries a high price of having @Lit  stalk me like he does.
    Hey but at least you two gave us all something fun to read. By the way @Lit it looks like you got the pizza on the minimax down(?)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Just read the whole post....got some popcorn and a beer. Carry on.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

Dammit man! Rom is omnipotent doncha know. Freaking Oracle IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Just read the whole post....got some popcorn and a beer. Carry on.
    You'll have to wait until @Lit gets "lit" being a Friday night and all. But you guys will have to carry on without me as I have a plane to meet in the early morning. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

I regularly do high heat clean burns and never had a problem.  (All 3 of my eggs)

Am I stupid? 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

I hear that @LIT loves his RTIC cooler too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• RRP
    Options

hmmm, stuck your twig in that 110 outlet again didn't you? You electricians marvel me! Four years ago we were doing some remodeling and had a electrician run a new connection from our living room to a bathroom. I asked if I should trip the breaker and he replied "no, I'm a professional and have been doing this for 22 years". Well, he touched something wrong and it bit him! He pissed his pants and threw his pliers across the room! I then tripped the breaker.
  • Lit
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    RRP said:

Hey but at least you two gave us all something fun to read. By the way @Lit it looks like you got the pizza on the minimax down(?)
    Yes sir cutting the stone down and cooking at a lower temp really helped. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:

hmmm, stuck your twig in that 110 outlet again didn't you? You electricians marvel me! Four years ago we were doing some remodeling and had a electrician run a new connection from our living room to a bathroom. I asked if I should trip the breaker and he replied "no, I'm a professional and have been doing this for 22 years". Well, he touched something wrong and it bit him! He pissed his pants and threw his pliers across the room! I then tripped the breaker.

Ron, Ron, Ron, I've been trying to explain to you for ten tears that I'm not that kind of electrician. I work with high frequency machinery, induction welders and heaters and such. Although I have been known  to pee my pants on occasion it's usually a result of beer consumption. Ask anyone who knows me. Jeezus, I compliment the living daylight out of you and you respond with disrespect

Steve 

Caledon, ON