Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My cooking toolbox is complete...

Options
malligator
malligator Posts: 102
edited April 2016 in Off Topic

Okay, maybe not complete. I still need some doodads and geejaws, but I just got the last of the big four today. We started with a food processor last year. Then the BGE this last Christmas. Then a Kitchenaid stand mixer in January. Today we ordered a Vitamix.

Each successive purchase has really broadened our cooking abilities. The BGE was a game changer. I don't think we've used the oven since getting it. Of course, I don't need to explain how it's changed our lives. We all know. :)

The food processor has been the least used of the four. We...wait for it...process food with it. And make great homemade mayo. Other than that...it just sorta sits and waits. I think it might be because there are so many parts to clean every time we use it.

The stand mixer has been an absolute blast. I've never even imagined trying to bake until now. I was just always so intimidated. Since getting it in January we've made pizza regularly and soft pretzels and bagels one time each. We've also made simple desserts like sheet cake, lemon bars, and cookies.

Now, I really think the Vitamix will be a game changer like the BGE. At least I hope it will. It does so much and is practically self-cleaning so we won't be hesitant to use it. Can't wait until it gets here.

I think that'll do it for us. I'm not the type to have too many small appliances. We got rid of my girlfriend's waffle iron, Panini press, popcorn maker, and electric griddle when she moved in. I like having a few foundational, not a lot of specialty, small appliances.

LBGE in PHX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You did gloss over all the BGE accessories.  Even when you think you "are there" along comes the newest great thing. I wish you luck  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Interesting comments on the food processor.  I've been thinking I need one for a long time, but not sure why.  Other than every cooking video seems to use one. But like you, I hesitate to use those things that are a pain to clean.  Maybe I should continue just thinking about it, rather than getting one.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • malligator
    Options
    CharleyR said:
    Interesting comments on the food processor.  I've been thinking I need one for a long time, but not sure why.  Other than every cooking video seems to use one. But like you, I hesitate to use those things that are a pain to clean.  Maybe I should continue just thinking about it, rather than getting one.  

I have liked having ours, but I think the Vitamix will take over its current duties. I plan to be a little more proactive on finding good uses for it.

I know the folks at America's Test Kitchen use food processors all the time. I've seen them do things like grind hamburger and make pizza dough. Unfortunately, my stand mixer gets those duties (with a grinder attachment for the hamburger).

LBGE in PHX

• malligator
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude, pace yourself...

You still need the sous vide, vac sealer, knives, secondary egg, tertiary egg, and so on. It never ends!! And the bastiges around here are VERY good at spending your money for you. 

I too found that addition of each device upped my game considerably - first with the KitchenAid, then eggs, then SV unit. Its been a lot of fun learning how to use each device

Those are filed under doodads and geejaws. :) I have a PS, pizza stone, and KAB for my egg. A woo or AR will be added soon enough.

We definitely want a vac sealer so we can buy meat from Costco (it's just the two of us) and so we can vac seal leftover brisket and pulled pork.

And, yes, we want a MiniMax for camping and as a cold smoke source for the LBGE.

In addition to all that we want better knives, more sheet pans, and a large synthetic cutting board for processing briskets and pork butts.

Okay...my cooking toolbox is complete...for today. Better? :)

LBGE in PHX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    We use our vitamix alot. Tons of smoothies and salsa. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Lol!  Funny topic.  If you think you are done, leave this forum now!!  I mean like, now, like right now, don't finish my post, leave!  Seriously, leave.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude, pace yourself...

You still need the sous vide, vac sealer, knives, secondary egg, tertiary egg, and so on. It never ends!! And the bastiges around here are VERY good at spending your money for you. 

I too found that addition of each device upped my game considerably - first with the KitchenAid, then eggs, then SV unit. Its been a lot of fun learning how to use each device
    So true. I hustled a guy in to a pellet burning pizza oven on here tonight. Boom! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Keep your mind and wallet open 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Umm - what's that song by the Carpenters? We've only just begun, lol. Love our Vitamix too. And Joetisserie, and AR, and Grill Grates, and CI pans and .......... See what I mean?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Life will never be the same once you have a Trés Booblay, sous vide has been the biggest change in our cooking repretoir. 
    Of all the tools mentioned, the Vitamix was the one we seemed to get the least out of. Other than some kick ass soups and sauces, it was not for us. Great well made product, just way above our normal cooking. Time for an addition to house all this stuff.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Now you have to remodel the kitchen, second Freezer, expand the patio, new patio furniture, need I say more. BGE=wallet genocide.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've convinced myself I need GrillGrates and a vacuum sealer. I'll order the GrillGrates soon and really looking forward to the vacuum sealed in a couple months!

We have something like this for a food processor and barely use it but I don't feel bad since it was 15$.

http://www.freesuperstore.com/catalog/productInfo/spid/R810/sprid/SRFT93900B?gclid=CKqWj4qgk8wCFUIfhgodBPAOFg

• malligator
    Options
    Added an 18"x30" cutting board this weekend. Made processing three racks of spares so much easier. Our previous meat cutting board was about the size of a piece of paper. Talk about useless.

I definitely need to add a vacuum sealer, because three racks of ribs is just too much for us to cook at one time. We ate maybe a little over a half rack between us.

LBGE in PHX

• tailg8ers
    tailg8ers Posts: 67
    Options
    When the Vita mix arrives - donate or sell the food processor on craigslist - you'll never use it!!!  Got a Vita mix as a b'day gift several years ago and man is it a workhorse! 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I agree with the vita mix. Love ours. We have the 750pro. I also have a food processor and do use it quit a bit for making large amounts of slaw and stuff. It would take forever to hand chop it all without it. But most folks don't make slaw in a 5 gallon bucket either...lol. And the kitchen aid mixer I cand say enough about mine. That little bugger gets a workout...lol. If I had room I'd get a big old Hubbard floor mixer...lol, but the wife did say no to that. Back to the vita mix we use ours most for mixing drinks and soups. Enjoy it!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I agree with the vita mix. Love ours. We have the 750pro. I also have a food processor and do use it quit a bit for making large amounts of slaw and stuff. It would take forever to hand chop it all without it. But most folks don't make slaw in a 5 gallon bucket either...lol. And the kitchen aid mixer I cand say enough about mine. That little bugger gets a workout...lol. If I had room I'd get a big old Hubbard floor mixer...lol, but the wife did say no to that. Back to the vita mix we use ours most for mixing drinks and soups. Enjoy it!
    One of those Hobart Legacy's would be really  nice.  Peeps want too much for them on CL.

Always fun breaking out the gear oil on kitchen toys. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    The Vitamix does a great job on chopping veggies also. For slaw, we quarter a cabbage, roughly chunk it up and put in the container, cover with water and pulse a few times. Dump the cabbage in a colander to drain well and repeat with the remaining quarters, then mix the other stuff with it. For larger batches, we'll bring out the big processor, but that's rare. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC