Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest: To Cook or Not To Cook?

Options
chadpsualum
chadpsualum Posts: 409
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
Just soliciting some opinions from the experienced and seasoned members here...

Our local Eggfest (North Pittsburgh) is June 25th being sponsored by Hearth and Home in Zelienople, PA.  Anyway, when I was there recently they were talking to me about cooking this year and I wanted to get your opinion (especially if you have cooked in an Eggfest before) on what I should do.

I am not a 10 year Egger...but I have had mine for about a year and half and use it a lot.  Part of me says I should just go be an 'eater' and soak in some knowledge.  Other part of me loves to cook and wants to participate in that way...especially if they're trying to fill out their quota of cooks.

If you are in the camp of "go ahead and cook", I wouldn't complain if you gave me an idea or two of something to make that would be appropriate to make.  I have some of my own ideas but always like the creativity that flows from this Forum.  Thanks in advance!
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Depends on the format of the fest itself.  I have been to some where you are the cook for the entire day.  Others, you cook your meal, serve it up and let someone else jump on.  Whatever you serve, ensure it can be divided into smaller portions so the masses can all have a bite.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @chadpsualum go and watch first. It's not the cooking you need to worry about, it's all of the stuff that goes along with making a successful cook that you need to take notes on. Things like tents, chairs, hydration and cooking supplies. Worth attending at least one event to prepare and then jump into the fray
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    @chadpsualum go and watch first. It's not the cooking you need to worry about, it's all of the stuff that goes along with making a successful cook that you need to take notes on. Things like tents, chairs, hydration and cooking supplies. Worth attending at least one event to prepare and then jump into the fray
    Appreciate the advice.  I should have added that I've been to this event three times so I'm not completely green with how this goes down.  With that said, I haven't gone with the intent of taking notes regarding cooking the following year.  
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Appreciate the advice.  I should have added that I've been to this event three times so I'm not completely green with how this goes down.  With that said, I haven't gone with the intent of taking notes regarding cooking the following year.  
    Ahhh...Time to saddle up and cook if you have already played visitor 3 times in the past.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Go for it. Cooked for the first time last weekend and had a blast. Keep it simple, cook what you are most comfortable with. Prep as much as possible at home.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cook. I attended a fest as a taster and was bored. Never again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    its time to git 'er done, dude!

Just go and cook. You will enjoy it immensely. I was a spectator at my first fest, and spent the most part of the day envious because it looked like the cooks were having a blast. Jumped in at Salado the next year, and loved it. 

I've been lucky to have great cook buddies - @Little Steven the first time, then @20stone since. Even though LS made me cook most of his stuff, and still argues with me about Rogan Josh vs. Rogan Josht. The camaraderie among eggheads is awesome, and felt even more so when you're cooking with a bunch of them. @Hotch has been kind enough to let me mooch his gear, because he seems to have everything I need, but didn't know it yet. Hotch even washed HIS pans that I borrowed (because I hadn't really thought things through that day) at Salado this year! Who does that?!!? :)

As far as advice goes - get table risers if you like your back! The ones from BBB are good, but you can even just cut 12"-18" lengths of PVC pipe to raise the table up. And prep as much as you can at home. I've tried to cook something different each time, none of which have been my usual cooks, but they have turned out well IMO. Practicing your cook first at home is not a bad idea at all. Servings can be small tastes, no need to make a whole meal. And you don't have to make enough for every soul at the fest. Depending on what you're comfortable with, plan on 50, 100, 200,  or however many servings you can muster. 

Think about what you will need to  serve your item (e.g. small plates, 2 oz cups, napkins, spoons). In the afternoon, folks welcome a sweet bite, so dessert items are usually a hit too. 

Take extension cords if you need power. Some venues have power available, some don't. 

Put all your stuff in a rubbermaid storage bin/tote or two. Include some trash bags, ziploc bags, food prep gloves, paper towels, and aluminium pans in your kit. 

As far as hydration, take plenty of beer, bourbon, water, or whatever you need to get in the right frame of mind.

Folks who have cooked at many fests have a ton of experience and there is much to learn from them. And in my experience they have always been extremely gracious about tips, lending gear, helping out in any way they can. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I like that Eggfest, been to the last two and its a beautiful location on the water.  I went as a eater to both of those as I was travelling with my wife.  We make it a Pirates / Eggfest weekend trip and always enjoy ourselves.  Last year was stupid hot, so the comment above about hydration and shade is key.  I've cooked at several, I've ate at several Eggfest... Cooking is great if you are with friends who Egg and are well organized.  Some of my best Eggfest were with my fellow Eggheads cooking up a storm. Some great cooks attend this Eggfest and I've been lucky enough to try and enjoy some pretty cool treats!  Either way you decide to attend, you will enjoy the day.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Never cooked at a Fest.  Will be cooking at the Butt Blast next weekend and to be honest, I'm a little nervous.  

I've been searching for tips, etc, like what @caliking indicated (and I screen captured it, thank Cali).  So we shall see how it goes.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Never cooked at a Fest.  Will be cooking at the Butt Blast next weekend and to be honest, I'm a little nervous.  

I've been searching for tips, etc, like what @caliking indicated (and I screen captured it, thank Cali).  So we shall see how it goes.  
    Don't be nervous Mattie!  I'll be right over your shoulder insuring the quality of your cooks.  Trust me brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I attended 2 my first year. Cooked after that. I'll be cooking again this year.
    It feels good to get compliments on my cooking from other than friends and family.
    Just go with what you are comfortable with. Have a good time don't get too obsessed with it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Have fun. Keep your cooks simple and fast. New BGE's get hot fast compared to yours at home so watch the temps. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Plan out the cooks you are going to do and then cut it in half. Give yourself time to breathe, walk around and meet other Eggheads and try their food. If you plan too many cooks, you'll end up stressed and work yourself to death. Better to have a few, good quality cooks and enjoy your time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Cooking is a great time. Even more so if you can gather a group of friends to help cook with you. 

If you decide to cook, you need to do some test runs. During the test runs. keep a list of accessories, tools, pans, etc of what you actually used. This creates an automatic list as what you need to bring. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I went to Atlanta maybe ten year sago. Scared out of my wits. Little Canuck dude with some off the wall asian food. Had a blast and have been to many others over the years. I did a biryani in Atlanta the following year and some redneck dude asked me if I put raisins in my jambalaya.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot. If there is any way you can get Cali as a cooking partner do it. He does everything and you just stand back and take the credit. He buys really good Scotch and is very generous with it. Henapple has a huge cooler with all kinds of really $hitty beer but you don't have to buy any

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot. If there is any way you can get Cali as a cooking partner do it. He does everything and you just stand back and take the credit. He buys really good Scotch and is very generous with it. Henapple has a huge cooler with all kinds of really $hitty beer but you don't have to buy any
    Heard a rumor in Athens that @Cali is responsible for the shortage of single malt in Houston. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    cook!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    cook!
    Of course.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Get your Canuckian keister down to a fest in Texas again, and I'll bring the Scotch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

I have cooked at 3 Eggfests in Birmingham. The first one was all by myself, 2nd year my wife joined me, and 3rd year a good buddy of mine joined us. I would definitely recommend cooking. Here are some of my personal tips:

Find something that cooks fairly quickly: I've seen a few guys do ribs/butts, only to have them done right when the Eggfest was shutting down.

Find something fairly easy and do as much prep as you can do at home.

Display your recipes somehow because people are going to be asking you all day long. One year I printed them out and laminated the sheets and laid them on the table. Another year I created a blog and posted the recipes and just listed the link to the blog on my table

Have fun.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Jsmewborne
    Options
    Does Raleigh have an EggFest?  Sounds like a great time!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Littlesteven is a genius. He brings the food and other people cook it

frankly, i have had his suitcase pork. It is best to let others do the cooking

(Though his indian food is no joke.)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]