Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate failure

Hey gang, just cleaned out the egg and found the cast iron fire grate cracked and split almost all the way across. The egg is only one year old and wondered if any of y'all have had this problem and how to keep it from happening again. It's covered under warranty for 5 years but I would like to know is this something I will have to replace every year. Heck even my old Walmart $110 dollar grill lasted longer than this. 

Comments

• Should still work with the crack - mine cracked almost 6 years ago and still together. Though I switched to a kickash basket a few years ago and never looked back since.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They do crack but I don't think it is that common.  I my eggs for about a year and they didn't have any issues.  I replaced them with the high-q because I like the better air flow.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    I got my medium in December, and it cracked in March.  I got it replaced under warranty by the dealer I got the egg from.  I did end up paying shipping ($10), and it took 1 to 2 weeks.  I kept using the cracked one in the meantime, and I kept it for a backup.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nature of the beast. My large egg is about 6 years old, fire grate has been cracked for at least 5 1/2 of them.  I'm still using it and it works fine. When it won't do the job any more, I'm going to replace it with the fire grate from a Weber Smokey Joe. Cost about $7 as I recall. Better airflow too (similar to a High-Que, but not stainless). I'm sure it won't last as long, though they seem to last quite a while on the Webers. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Wish I could find pick of my old one. Folded like a Pringle with a crack in it. I went high que and have loved it. People here are drinking the kick ash basket but not I. High que is all you need unless you want to take tailgating
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thanks for the input and I'm going to check out the high que

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Mine exploded sending chunks of metal, actually embedding in the dome.
    get rid of it and get a KAB.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Mine cracked and like @chubbs I got the High Que for the large & small next will be one for the mini.  No KAB koolaide here but to each their own.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    @Mattman3969 I have the standard grate for my large and have no thoughts of switching. However Ive had my small for about two months now and its kinda a pain in the arse to clean the ash out. I havent drank the basket koolaide either, but considering it for the small. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    The one on my xl cracked about half way across less than a year old. Got a replacement under warrant and still using the cracked one now for 2 years. New one in box until I need it.
  • Mattman3969
    @Mattman3969 I have the standard grate for my large and have no thoughts of switching. However Ive had my small for about two months now and its kinda a pain in the arse to clean the ash out. I havent drank the basket koolaide either, but considering it for the small. 
    Understood on the clean out of the small. I think it was @caliking that posted a mod for his ash tool for the small that helps with ash removal.  Maybe he'll chime in shortly 

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Understood on the clean out of the small. I think it was @caliking that posted a mod for his ash tool for the small that helps with ash removal.  Maybe he'll chime in shortly 
    Here ya go:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158433/small-ash-tool-mod

works much better than the standard small ash tool. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    HiQue on the large now for almost 4 years, put one In the MM a few weeks ago... No issues or regrets
  • Mattman3969
    Thanks @caliking

analyze adapt overcome

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Drink the basket koolaide, I did and gave my high q to a friend. Now have one in each of my larges, small and will get one for the Mini Max at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest in May. Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Mine cracked on the XL after a few years.  Replaced it under warranty but don't use it. I use the kickashbasket.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hi-que is great. I had one for my medium that I gave away when I bought my large. My only issue with the Hi-que is the rolled steel edges would cause it to slide around with overly vigorous stirring. For my large, I bought am expanded steel grate which is my favorite. The edges "bite" into the firebox, holding it in place.

I have a kick ash basket as well, which I bought for tailgating as picking out individual coals with tongs is shady as hell when you want your egg to cool down quickly. Unless you are going to be tailgating, I don't see the point in paying the premium for the KAB over the Hi-que. It's not any quicker for getting rid of ash(I just tap on the expanded steel grate a few times when  scraping out the ash in the bottom) and holds less volume of charcoal due to how high it sits in the firebox. It is nice at away events when I can just pull the basket out and dump water on the coals. Before, I would pull out the lump coals and drop them into a smokey Joe to use as a "fire pit" while the burned down.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Thanks @Mattman3969 and @caliking
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    High Q 
    New Albany, Ohio