Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small burn out, but big on temperature

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
I'm one of the lucky owners of a small egg who has no problem getting to nuke temperatures. I have done high heat burn outs over the years without an issue and today is one of them. It is wise for most people to remove their dome thermometers, but my Tel-Tru thermometers are all the high heat ones so they aren't taxed and do not get warped. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
    Just a shameless follow up report. That high temperature burn off did no damage, my fire box and fire ring are white once again and the previously cruddy dome is now medium gray and the layered flakes came off with a putty knife. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's great but I wouldn't recommend doing high heat cleanings. Last time you argued high heat burns are fine the next day someone posted about their cracked base they got from a high heat clean. I have personally been standing next to an egg that the base and fire ring cracked in the same cleaning. There is no reason ever to do this.
  • RRP
    Options
    Fine, Lit, I'm just saying it has worked for me again today as in the past. Maybe, just maybe my 16 year old small was made by a different standard of manufacturing. But to say I caused somebody to crack their egg due to my post is a bit of a stretch. Too many possible reasons. If someone isn't comfortable with doing a high heat burn out then fine, I couldn't care less - I'm just saying it continues to work wonders for me.
  • Lit
    Options
    How is it a stretch Ron if I remember correctly it was like a 10yr old egg also. That's on you for giving bad info Ron. After my 3rd cracked base I learned.
  • RRP
    Options
    3 huh? 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    That's what the high priced warranty is for. If it cracks, get a new one!
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Play nice boys  :)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Lit
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    That's what the high priced warranty is for. If it cracks, get a new one!
    It's kind of a pain to take the egg apart and go get a new base and try to put it back together. I say try because the bent bolts don't always work again and I bent the band on my large one time cranking it down and the base and dome never lined up correctly again. It cost me $100 for a new large band. You can get your egg to 500 and let it sit longer and it burns everything off so your egg is burning clean there is no reason at all to push it to 800 degrees unless you want to crack your egg. Ron has seen the numerous people that have posted that they cracked their eggs but for some reason he posts that it's a good idea just because it hasn't happened to him. What Ron did is stupid and not needed at all.
  • Lit
    Options

RRP said:
    3 huh? 
    Yes Ron 3 bases down in under 10 years. A large, medium, and mini. I was standing next to the large when it was over 700 and there were 2 large pops and when it cooled down the fire ring was split in half and the base was cracked. 
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - it took you 3 cracked bases before you quit doing a high heat burn off and you are calling ME stupid? I already said if you aren't comfortable doing a high heat then that is FINE. 
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - it took you 3 cracked bases before you quit doing a high heat burn off and you are calling ME stupid? I already said if you aren't comfortable doing a high heat then that is FINE. 
    Your still doing them after all the posts about them cracking eggs and your making posts like its a smart thing to do. That's stupid Ron I was still new and listening to idiots like you.
  • RRP
    Options
    1, 2, 3 of them huh? 

ah, never mind - you won't catch on to my point. Good night, Lit.
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    1, 2, 3 of them huh? 

You have no point Ron another stupid post. Maybe next you can tell us about your Comcast experience.
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    RRP said:
    1, 2, 3 of them huh? 

You have no point Ron another stupid post. Maybe next you can tell us about your Comcast experience.
    LOL! You know, if you would have said that because of me you lost 3 domes due to my inferno burn offs I might have listened and changed my ways and never suggested what works for me. BUT you are claiming that due to me you lost 3 bases which are actually insulated by the fire box and the fire ring, but your 3 domes were fine? You just don't get it do you? Oh well, like I care any more.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
     I've done one clean burn in 10yrs. Coincidentally I had to replace a base shortly thereafter.  A good burn of 500/600 for a couple of hrs is good enough to clean the egg.  No need to go nuclear.  Afterwards hit the dome with a ball of foil and all the crud is gone.  No need to chance broken parts for a clean firebox and partially clean dome that is just gonna get dirty after the next cook. 

As a release of liability this post was not to stir crap with or offend Ron but more so the let the new guys/gals to the egg know that there is more than one way to clean the gunk from an egg and let them decide which way to go.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    RRP said:
    1, 2, 3 of them huh? 

LOL! You know, if you would have said that because of me you lost 3 domes due to my inferno burn offs I might have listened and changed my ways and never suggested what works for me. BUT you are claiming that due to me you lost 3 bases which are actually insulated by the fire box and the fire ring, but your 3 domes were fine? You just don't get it do you? Oh well, like I care any more.
    Guessing you don't have an IR thermometer Ron. Guess what? The base gets way hotter than the dome since there is glowing hot lump in it genius. Also I never said my bases cracked because of you just people posting stupid advice. You know many people have had their eggs and other parts crack from doing hot clean burns but you still post it likes it's a good idea. See how that's stupid? Or are just just an ass Ron?
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes, I have a IR gun and actually a good one. I'm sorry I didn't use it to record any temps today. BUT is there anyway in your mind that you MIGHT be able to accept the fact that my original picture showed my Tel-Tru thermometer was reading over 800 degrees? Won't you even "sort of" "kinda" think that maybe that dome was very hot? And it did not crack. But the fire box and fire ring protecting the base "sort of" "kinda" protected the base? And the base did NOT crack! Can you follow any of that? 

Ah sh*t - arguing with you is pointless.  
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    What grate do you have in your small Ron ?

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    Options
    What grate do you have in your small Ron ?
    I use a small KAB. Then I cook on a cast iron grate that I cut from a rectangular piece many years ago. BTW I removed it during my high heat burn out today so that the heat would not be stopped nor radiated. Thank you for asking.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Are you using the OEM grate below the KAB or just the KAB?  

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    Options
    No, just the KAB itself.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I did high heat clean burns on my medium quite a bit. No issues for me either.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Maybe RRP is hoping he can sell more gaskets if there are a whole lot more ruined bases!

Or maybe he's stating his opinion. 
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yes, I have a IR gun and actually a good one. I'm sorry I didn't use it to record any temps today. BUT is there anyway in your mind that you MIGHT be able to accept the fact that my original picture showed my Tel-Tru thermometer was reading over 800 degrees? Won't you even "sort of" "kinda" think that maybe that dome was very hot? And it did not crack. But the fire box and fire ring protecting the base "sort of" "kinda" protected the base? And the base did NOT crack! Can you follow any of that? 

Ah sh*t - arguing with you is pointless.  
    No Ron you have no argument. Your dome ceramic temp was probably around 500-550. You base ceramic temp was probably around 800. That's a big difference Ron. The fire box and fire ring have 1200 plus degree lump sitting in them so they are probably about 1200 degrees not sure how that is an insulator. You dome has a foot plus of air space insulating it and keeping it cooler. My whole point Ron is you have seen the countless posts where people cracked parts in their egg doing high heat clean burns and just because it hasn't happened to you you make posts on here like its a good idea to do. I shouldn't even have to argue with you there are hard facts based on the numerous posts and for some reason you still can't comprehend it. If it was the only way to get the egg to burn clean then great but its not. The high heat cleans is how you crack eggs, people fry their factory gaskets, and they melt their eggs shut so as long as everyone ignores those 3 things yes Ron you are very smart everyone else that has cracked ceramics during clean burns are just wrong and as usual you are right Ron.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    wow, all this argument about 800 degrees in an egg, i consider that a cooking temp for searing a steak not a burnout temp. people routinely cook pizzas at that temp. one of my bases cracked during a turkey cook so maybe we shouldnt recommend cooking over 325. for what its worth ive done 1200 degree dome temp pizzas and bge's response was they tested the eggs by bringing them to 1200 and dumping water directly in them at that temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Options
    wow, all this argument about 800 degrees in an egg, i consider that a cooking temp for searing a steak not a burnout temp. people routinely cook pizzas at that temp. one of my bases cracked during a turkey cook so maybe we shouldnt recommend cooking over 325. for what its worth ive done 1200 degree dome temp pizzas and bge's response was they tested the eggs by bringing them to 1200 and dumping water directly in them at that temp
    Cracking it while cooking is one thing pointlessly doing it is another. Also with steaks I don't usually let it sit at 800 for an hour so the ceramics never get close to the same temp as they do in a clean burn. People can do what they want but a long time poster making a post like its a good idea when numerous people have said they cracked egg parts doing it seems like a pretty **** thing to do to me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    interesting =) your ok with 1200 degree pizza cooks but 800 degrees is out

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Options

I don't do 1200 degree pizza cooks I cook my pizzas 500-550. But if you crack it cooking then fine that what it's for. If you crack it doing something stupid that someone on the forum recommends that's different. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I guess at the end of the day egg owners should grasp that clean burns aren't necessary and don't accomplish anything other than making the ceramics white again (for a brief time) and that they can cause damage to the ceramics and gaskets. I used to do an occasional clean burn but won't anymore. (and yes I've had a cracked base/fire box/fire ring but can't for sure say it was from a clean burn or not. Better safe than sorry. (even if under warranty). I like my egg with a little flavor in it anyway- It means I'm using it! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    Options

Michael, no sense trying to converse with Lit.