Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All that chatter about that new weber and now dead silence?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
Talk about something that passed through and exited quickly! Like the Halley's Comet of want to be kamados! Granted this is the BGE forum, but the chatter was here in anticipation and then roll out, but nothing since. Or have the buffalos been stomping the threads?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm interested to hear from somebody who bought one. Havent seen many YouTube videos from other than the company yet. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Dead on the brethren too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Yes, nothing like an outrageous, unrealistic price to dampen enthusiasm. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    There is a full review on a website that features some amazing ribs. They seem impressed and still able to write about it without fainting at the price point. Air as an insulator...who would have thunk it? Don't know how I got the idea this thing was going to be a ceramic kamado.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    They are pretty nice. Nicer than I anticipated.  I am reserving judgement until we fire up the reps demo unit. They are a heavier and more polished unit in person. Price point is high, but seeing them in person, i think they will sell at a similar rate as the rest of the summit series. 
  • RRP
    Options
    They are pretty nice. Nicer than I anticipated.  I am reserving judgement until we fire up the reps demo unit. They are a heavier and more polished unit in person. Price point is high, but seeing them in person, i think they will sell at a similar rate as the rest of the summit series. 
    Since you are a dual dealer of BGE plus Weber, may I ask a question? Will you stock one of these or are they by special order only? I can see where a Weber dealer would be hesitant to gamble that someone will walk in wanting one and then walk out if he couldn't take it home right then. Also is your BGE rep Peter E. out of Fargo?
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Nope. Fresh thread. From Baby Back Maniac. 
  • pgprescott
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Since you are a dual dealer of BGE plus Weber, may I ask a question? Will you stock one of these or are they by special order only? I can see where a Weber dealer would be hesitant to gamble that someone will walk in wanting one and then walk out if he couldn't take it home right then. Also is your BGE rep Peter E. out of Fargo?
    We have them both in stock and one of each assembled. Only Weber Alliance dealers are suppose to be able to get them. If someone wants them, they'll be in our store most likely. 

Peter is a north suburb guy. Works for Northern plains @Fargo. Used to sell us high end appliances like subzero and wolf back in the day. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    A few people on other forums have bought them and put up some pics and videos. Looks nice. Solid.

At $2K still not interested. At $1K I'd buy one tomorrow.

On the other hand FedEx just dropped off my new smoker today so I'm not likely to buy another cooker this year. Ok...if Weber did drop the price (which they won't) I would still go ahead and get one and retire my trust old kettle.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options

Peter is a north suburb guy. Works for Northern plains @Fargo. Used to sell us high end appliances like subzero and wolf back in the day. 
    Yes - I know him, I just was wondering if he was your BGE rep also, or if his territory was further South of you.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Nope. Fresh thread. From Baby Back Maniac. 
    I just watched maniacs YouTube video of his unboxing it's pretty sweet! Like the Star Wars band aid!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:

Yes - I know him, I just was wondering if he was your BGE rep also, or if his territory was further South of you.
    He has from the Mississippi to Chicago, up the the cheddar curtain. 

One nice feature of the Weber is that the Rep. loaded it in his utility van by himself after the cold demo in our shop. 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I am very curious to see how the reviews go. I am a huge Weber fan. However I am looking at buying an XL aND I have a hard time believing that I would buy the weber over the XL egg when it comes down to it.  I have 3 Eggs and 3 webers but my eggs are my go to. I have a smokey mountain and a performer up north and a smokey Joe at deer camp. My eggs are at home and get daily use and get used more for a reason.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I went and saw one and was really impressed.  Selling the small and large egg to begin the funding venture.  Five eggs is too many (plus I haven't used these two eggs in years, the XL and Medium are my go to eggs).  I competes directly with the XL, and at $1500 for the standalone, with the indirect setup, it competes pretty well on price.  A nice stainless table/cart?  I am sure the XL with a similar cart setup would be close to $2000 as well.  They have done their homework, I unfortunately believe it is priced close to correct (I wish it was lower, but I also wish a loaded XL cost only 700).  I am sure almost no one agrees with me, but Weber has done their homework on this.  You don't own 35% of the US BBQ market share bumbling around trying to compete with bubba kegs on price.  You make a quality product and give the high end market a run for the money.  I dont have the link, but there was a Weber engineer that was talking about how he had been grilling on this thing for a few years.  This is not a product they developed last fall and decided to launch it this summer.

Will it cook better than an egg, I dont think so.  I also dont believe it will cook worse.  I like the features it offers, I think it is very cool.  I want one.  Already sold the large to my brother, looking to sell the small.  Im in Salt Lake City Utah if anyone wants to seriously make an offer.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@cookingdude555   I respect your opinion, especially since you went and laid hands on one.  I remain skeptical, but I have not touched one yet.

I am a weber fan, and frankly for grilling I figure a kettle is just as good as an egg.  For a smoker though, I think I'll stick with team green.  I will take a look though.

Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Air is a better insulator than ceramic, FWIW. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Air is a better insulator than ceramic, FWIW. 
    As long as the air is not moving.  Vacuum is even better.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    When's the last time you went to a Weberfest?
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Vacuum is better yeah, probably not practical on a grill, but maybe someday. 

I was just pointing it out because more than a few people were mocking the idea, when it's really basic fact

it's why wrapping pork butt in towels (in FTC) actually steals heat from the pork faster.

If you leave a pork butt on the counter, sure, trap it in towels. Because it will otherwise cool given the large amount if circulating room air which would cool it

but in a cooler, it will be better to not wrap it in towels (foil sure). Once the small anount of air in the cooler is warmed, cooling really can't happen at the same rate. 

But comparatively cooler towels are a heat sink. You lose more heat warming those towels than you would to the air inside the cooler

No one would advocate putting a large amount of room temp water in the cooler, because the butt would give up heat to it. But it's the same for the towels. In both cases (on the counter and in the cooler) they take heat from the pork

but on the counter, the towels are the only insulation you have. The air they trap insulates, even though you lose heat to the mass of the towels. Without them, the constant supply or circulating room air would continually cool the pork. So the towels make sense

in the cooler, the cooler itself is the insulator.  the trapped interior air, which will rise in temp, sure, is trapped though. It will quickly get warm and then the pork stops losing heat, since the air is the same temp and not circutlaing and continually cooling it. But towels would suck additional heat as their mass (more than a pound possibly) gets warmed by the pork. That's more energy than it takes to heat just the air. And then after the towels are hot, the air itself will be warmed. 

(which of course means that instead of just realizing this and ditching the towels,  people will now be advocating microwaving the towels before putting them in. Hahaha)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    There is a full review on a website that features some amazing ribs. They seem impressed and still able to write about it without fainting at the price point. Air as an insulator...who would have thunk it? Don't know how I got the idea this thing was going to be a ceramic kamado.
    Is it 'air' insulated or 'absence of air' insulated?  The latter makes sense since a vacuum is technically a perfect insulator.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Nah, just toss them in the dryer for a few minutes.

I hope weber does well with this grill, I hope it performs well.  I'm glad to see more focus from a huge company like weber on a charcoal grill and the increased competition and focus has to be good for all of us consumers.  The price may be close based on their market research, but I think what most of us balk at is its DNA is clearly the enameled weber kettle that we all bought years ago for $60-70 as our first real grill and that's hard to get past.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw- are you a mechanical engineer?, you seem to be fluent in thermodynamics and fluid flow.

What I'm pondering is the heat loss from a metallic substrate. If it's true, as you say, that air is a better insulator than ceramic, I won't bother to refute that, but I can put my hand on the exterior of my egg. My infra red thermometer shows approximately 100f difference between interior and exterior.

Now, the Weber is designed to use air as an insulator, but what about the heat transfer properties of the exterior? If that thermal insulator is losing heat to atmosphere, the cooled air will drop, warmed air will rise, and create a convection in the annular space due to heat loss.

I'm wondering, and maybe you can tell me where my logic is incorrect; if the Weber is metal, with the heat transfer properties of metal, it doesn't much matter if air is a better insulator than ceramic, this contraption will spill waste heat into the atmosphere.

My opinion, but I am fairly certain it will use more lump than a Big Green Egg for the same cook, same temp, same duration.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    this weber opens the door for another bge price increase =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

but in a cooler, it will be better to not wrap it in towels (foil sure). Once the small anount of air in the cooler is warmed, cooling really can't happen at the same rate.
    tried that once, once.  Melted a nice hole in the bottom of my Coleman.

Thankfully I hadn't walked off the yeti cliff before that debacle (or since)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Is it 'air' insulated or 'absence of air' insulated?  The latter makes sense since a vacuum is technically a perfect insulator.
    Directly from the Weber website specs description:
    • Porcelain-enameled, air-insulated, double-walled bowl and lid
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw- are you a mechanical engineer?, you seem to be fluent in thermodynamics and fluid flow.

What I'm pondering is the heat loss from a metallic substrate. If it's true, as you say, that air is a better insulator than ceramic, I won't bother to refute that, but I can put my hand on the exterior of my egg. My infra red thermometer shows approximately 100f difference between interior and exterior.

Now, the Weber is designed to use air as an insulator, but what about the heat transfer properties of the exterior? If that thermal insulator is losing heat to atmosphere, the cooled air will drop, warmed air will rise, and create a convection in the annular space due to heat loss.

I'm wondering, and maybe you can tell me where my logic is incorrect; if the Weber is metal, with the heat transfer properties of metal, it doesn't much matter if air is a better insulator than ceramic, this contraption will spill waste heat into the atmosphere.

My opinion, but I am fairly certain it will use more lump than a Big Green Egg for the same cook, same temp, same duration.
    too many "Ifs" and assumptions to respond too.

air is a better insulator than ceramic. 

all other details need to be seen and experienced in person before i would even begin to reply.

"opinions" don't enter into it.

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    DieselkW said:

He could also be a Chemical Engineer.  We know things about Thermo and Fluid Dynamics as well...
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE