Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best of the West 100% Mesquite Lump Charcoal

My Sams Club has this stuff 20 lbs for &11.98. Has anybody out there used it and if so is it any good?
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited April 2016
    Very smokey and sparks lots when lighting. Comparable to Cowboy lump 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • thanks for the feedback
    San Angelo, texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    FYI -  lump discussions here are as contested as any religion or political conversation.  Here's a link to a great thread for all things ceramic including lump reviews:  FWIW
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    I've used it and currently have the vision brand of it that my SAMs is currently carrying. The best of the west is very dense compared to royal oAk, seems to burn hotter than Royal oak in my experience, I haven't used rock wood so don't have much to compare it to, but the smoke tends to smell bad at first, once the fire gets good and hot and the meat goes on it smells fine, i think it's good for people starting out, the bags are very hit and miss, I've had good and really bad, I flip the bags to see how much loose small stuff I can hear, also don't take the bags from the bottom of the pallet. I've never felt it made any of my cooks taste over smoked, I still always add a few chunks for low and slows.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2016
    I use mesquite lump for beef and pork only. I think it's smoke is too strong for lamb, fish and chicken. Restaurants use mesquite it because it burns hot and fast. Your mileage and taste buds may vary of course!
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    WeberWho said:
    I completely disagree.  Does spark a lot, but so what.  Does not smoke or impart mesquite smoke the same way chunks do.  Not my go to but I have used it often and never had a problem.  If RO weren't easy here I would be perfectly happy with Best of the West.  I never found any crap in it except occasional rock.  This is way, way better than Cowboy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Thanks to everybody. I have decided to get a bag and try it.

San Angelo, texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited April 2016
    WeberWho said:
    I completely disagree.  Does spark a lot, but so what.  Does not smoke or impart mesquite smoke the same way chunks do.  Not my go to but I have used it often and never had a problem.  If RO weren't easy here I would be perfectly happy with Best of the West.  I never found any crap in it except occasional rock.  This is way, way better than Cowboy.
    People worry about sparks with lump. Especially if they have their egg on a wooden table/deck. No big deal for me as I roll mine out to the driveway but would think twice about sparks and wood surroundings. 

@dayzed&confused Let us know your thoughts on it when trying it out. What do you typically use for lump?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I don't like mesquite. I have some western mesquite wood chunks for smoking and I have zero plans on using it. If you would like the rest of what I have left, let me know.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thanks YukonRon but where I live most of the trees are mesquite. There are wood chunks everywhere. Thanks for the offer though. 
    Being raised in West Texas I grew up on mesquite cooked bbq so I like it but I have been told many times it is an acquired taste and not a good flavor for people new to it.
    San Angelo, texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Thanks YukonRon but where I live most of the trees are mesquite. There are wood chunks everywhere. Thanks for the offer though. 
    Being raised in West Texas I grew up on mesquite cooked bbq so I like it but I have been told many times it is an acquired taste and not a good flavor for people new to it.
    It is not bad, I have just gotten into other smoking woods. I have had a lot of mesquite smoked food, and enjoyed it, but recently got into blending smoke woods of pecan, peach and sugar maple. I have about 50 pounds of each... So it will be a long time before I get to mesquite again. Just was offering should you want it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    I think it comes down to the fact that it's a great value, 20lbs for $12, but it can't be compared to these high end lumps. I keep a bag on hand at all times and haven't been disappointed but have limited experience in lumps, have only bought the low end brands.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I only use mesquite chunks for burgers. Too bitter for smoking. Maybe in charcoal lump form it is better.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• The only other brand avlable here is B&B. I wish I had access to other brands. I do buy Apple, hickory chunks from academy. We also have pecan and oak growing all over here. 
    San Angelo, texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    For access to other lump charcoal give http://www.firecraft.com a go.  Free shipping when  ordering >$99.  Solid company to work with.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.