Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna? Safe on Egg?

Options
So, I've got a Whole Foods Lasagna that comes in some sort of container that is oven-safe. 

Cooking directions call for pre-heated oven at 375 for 40-45 minutes. 

Any reason I couldn't cook it indirect on the Egg?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    If it's oven-safe, it's Egg-safe. Lasagna on the Egg is awesome, enjoy!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Basscat said:
    If it's oven-safe, it's Egg-safe. Lasagna on the Egg is awesome, enjoy!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Should be fantastic. Just don't add to much wood smoke if any.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    A kamado is basically a smokey oven so enjoy!

I've never done a lasagna on a kamado. Might have to try that some time and see if I enjoy the touch of smoke.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've done it a few times. Don't add smoke wood and let the egg heat up for a bit. Comes out similar to a wood fired oven style flavor.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    The egg doesn't know it isn't an oven, so just don't tell the lasagna

just go indirect

i like lasagna on the egg because the small amount of smoke makes it a little rustic. 

You can foil it in the beginning if you want to limit smoke. I usually let it get crispy at the end, say last half of the cook, by taking the foil off

most of the time we don't even foil
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I've cooked lasagna and baked brownies on the BGE.  Heck, I've popped pop corn.  Just go indirect.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I remember reading an egger bringing home his foot long Subway sandwich to see if it tasted better cooked on the egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I remember reading an egger bringing home his foot long Subway sandwich to see if it tasted better cooked on the egg
    Priceless!
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes, make sure you cook it high in the dome, not too high ... but high or it'll burn.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Love lasagna on the egg - it's the only way I'll cook lasagna now. I make mine in foil pans and freeze in batches. Cook indirect around 350 and you should be good. Bonus points for throwing some garlic bread on the egg at the same time
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree it should work just fine.  I would to to make sure that none of the pan is hanging over the plate setter.  If so just use foil or something like a cookie sheet on the plate setter to shield it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not homemade but still good.,,,,,,

New Albany, Ohio 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The egg doesn't know it isn't an oven, so just don't tell the lasagna

just go indirect

i like lasagna on the egg because the small amount of smoke makes it a little rustic. 

You can foil it in the beginning if you want to limit smoke. I usually let it get crispy at the end, say last half of the cook, by taking the foil off

most of the time we don't even foil
    Agreed, without the disclaimer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    It's probably too complicated of a cook for a buckeye. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    It's probably too complicated of a cook for a buckeye. 
    And what colors do you wear, @SloppyJoe?
    New Albany, Ohio