Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help?

Options

Guys, I know this subject has been discussed at nauseam but I need some brisket help.  I have pretty much mastered everything on the egg but can't get the brisket how I want it.  It's never as tender as I want it.  I never wrap but maybe I should.  Right now I have a 8.5lb CAB brisket marinating in my fridge in Allegro Gold Brisket Marinade.  I plan to put it on the egg tonight using my Flame Boss doing an all night cook at around 235-245.  I also want to try wrapping in butcher paper for the first time.  Questions are....How long before I should wrap it?  How long you think it will take approx. - 12 hours? I usually just probe in thickest part which is usually the point which is where I think I'm going wrong - my flat dries out.  Should I probe in thickest part of flat instead?  And if I get it tender at 195 and it probes like butter what if point still at 185....what to do?  Still pull it?  I always find they are at different temps. 

Thanks for all help and suggestions guys!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    If you want to wrap, wrap at 170 and let it go until 190-195 before you probe.
    Probe in the thickest part of the flat, this way the flat doesn't dry out.  Point may finish a little later.

I'd plan for 1.75 hr/lb.  if it gives up the fight early, it's always easy to keep it wrapped and warm.  If it's not ready, you'll be scrambling to get it cooked/tender.

Also, I'd plan to keep it FTIC for at least an hour before serving, so keep that in mind if you're trying to judge time.  The rest is just as important.

Enjoy, sounds like you'll have some good eats.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    When you say...."Point may finish a little later".....I agree but you have to pull it all at the same time so it's ok to pull when flat is tender and point will be ok?

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    May need to put the point back on (Separate from flat).   So that's why most folks like to finish early.  Easier to keep warm than to rush the cook.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You will want to wrap AFTER it comes out of the stall.  This allows the brisket to form bark.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Give this thread a look for some inputs:
    First Time Brisket, Suggestions Please.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • corey24
    Options

Thanks guys - Keep the suggestions and tips coming!

• corey24
    Options

I'm sorry I don't have pictures guys but this was the best brisket I have ever cooked.  Cooked from 8 last night to 10 this morning.

Only other question I have is:  On the flat it was the best I've done - it was tender and juicy.....for about 5 mins then I dried out before my eyes.  It seems to always do this.  Is this the norm?  It was still good after that but it lost a lot of moisture.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I've never measured the time but that seems fast-however, the cow drives the cook.  Sounds like you nailed it.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    corey24 said:

I'm sorry I don't have pictures guys but this was the best brisket I have ever cooked.  Cooked from 8 last night to 10 this morning.

Only other question I have is:  On the flat it was the best I've done - it was tender and juicy.....for about 5 mins then I dried out before my eyes.  It seems to always do this.  Is this the norm?  It was still good after that but it lost a lot of moisture.

Did you slice it all at once?  If so, yes, it will dry.  Only cut to need.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have observed a couple things that keep my brisket slices from drying quickly.  

1.  Rest time.  It seems the longer my brisket rests, the longer it takes for the slices to dry out. I try for at least 4 hours and have gone up to 8 with no issues at all.  I can't tell much difference in moisture loss between 4 and 8 hours but there is a substantial difference between 1 and 4 hours of resting.  

2.  Rest position.  If I rest my briskets fat side up, they dry out much slower than if they rest fat side down.  Sounds crazy but dont knock it until you try it. 

If I slice whole briskets for serving in catering settings, I always add au jus or my brisket bath which I use in wrapping to the slices to help them stay moist.

Congrats on nailing a brisket.  It gets much easier after the first time you get one dead on.   

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG